RAF Hunter FGA9 - 12 (or even 16) x 60 lb rockets?

David Womby

FWIW I found a pic of an FGA9 carrying 3 pairs of 60lb rockets plus an empty outer pylon under the port wing.  I am posting this because I always thought the Hunter could only carry a total of 60lb on each of those rocket rails - 3x20lb or 1 x60lb but clearly I was wrong!!!.  I suppose it could carry a pair of 60lbs in the 4th position too instead of the outer pylon.  It's on the Radafan Hunters site (still a great site but sadly some pic links are no longer working).  I can't link to it but it's 3rd from the bottom on this page: http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/gallery8-2.htm and the text says '8 Squadron groundcrew gather tightly round 360 lbs of high explosive at Khormaksar in 1967'.

David

• Thanks 1

David,

The maximum RP loads are 24 with 18lb or 25lb heads (i.e. all 4 stations per wing with a tier of 3 RPs on each) or 16 with 60lb heads (i.e. 4 stations per wing with a tier of 2). As you say there appears to be outboard pylons fitted in the photo which means station B can't be used (stations are referred to, from outboard to inboard, as A to D).

So yes, 2 x 60lb RPs per station and, as you say, a pair on station B if the pylon is not fitted.

Mark

• Like 2