1/72 Valom N.A. FJ-1 Fury

Courageous

Started to gather drawings and data for this a/c. The kit gives you the option for a canopy open but I read somewhere that some detail is missing with the rear of the canopy?

Can anybody help? Does anybody any decals for the a/c as the kit I've got is a reserve unit and I would an operational unit?

Thanks.

Stuart

There really doesn't appear to be much behind the seat. It looks like a slightly cambered panel with a cross brace. In 1/72 it should be easy to scratch. Don't know about decals but only one operational squadron it seems operated the FJ-1 and that was VF-51 Screaming Eagles and then for only a very short time. It more or less was used to gain some experience with using jet aircraft on carriers. They were quickly dispersed to the reserves going to NAS's Oakland and Olathe.

Photos of VF-51's markings should show up doing a Google search. They are pretty basic. I should be easy to cob some together from spares. 

Edited by jpk
  • Like 1

Cheers jpk.

I'm pretty sure that the detail was in the kit for a closed canopy but didn't have the 'additional' bits for a canopy open. This implies that their should be some bits connected to the canopy that should move with the canopy? As I said, it was something that was mentioned in a build review but I'm having trouble relocating it. As for the decals, I have virtually no spare decals, particularly US Navy as this will be the first of very few; FJ-2 & -3 being the others. So, not wanting to spend 'bucks' on stuff I may never use, I'll more than likely stick with the kit decals.

Stuart

Stuart, yes the cambered panel moved with the canopy. Addendum. It really is featureless except for a double cross brace. Also it has a stamped, raised area the snugged up against the back of the seat when closed. If you modeled an open canopy there would be a rod under the canopy panel which is no doubt the screw mechanism to open and close the canopy. Except for the national insignia in the usual locations markings consisted of a large white letters and numerals. Alternatively, very early preproduction aircraft had simply the standard WWII national markings in the usual locations and nothing else. 

• Like 1

Sounds simple enough to cobble together but I'd like to get a view of this if I'm wanting the canopy open. Decals, we'll see...

I've opened the box and massaged the parts through the bag, and it looks very nice. Don't know about its accuracy as I haven't put the parts up against what drawings I have yet but without doubt it looks like an FJ-1. Considering what else is out there, this is really the only show?  When these first came out, these kits disappeared off the shelf quicker than they went on.

Stuart

The rounded top of the fuselage is visible in the opening between the headrest and the "shelf" between the canopy rails (it was structural, a shear web to close off most of the opening between the rails). As jpk noted, there is something like a channel going between the headrest under the "shelf" that contains the opening and closing mechanism and a raised "box" that probably covers the headrest end of the mechanism.

There was a later canopy open/close mechanism that ran between the back of the headrest and a post on the rear of the shelf.

For the equivalent of 7,000 more words, see http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/02/fj-1-fury-canopy.html

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The rounded top of the fuselage is visible in the opening between the headrest and the "shelf" between the canopy rails (it was structural, a shear web to close off most of the opening between the rails). As jpk noted, there is something like a channel going between the headrest under the "shelf" that contains the opening and closing mechanism and a raised "box" that probably covers the headrest end of the mechanism.

There was a later canopy open/close mechanism that ran between the back of the headrest and a post on the rear of the shelf.

For the equivalent of 7,000 more words, see http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/02/fj-1-fury-canopy.html

I have a very nice walkaround saved  that shows the canopy, windscreen, and rear decking, but the link to the site doesn't seem to work- will see if I can locate the original walkaround site and post it here- sorry! I was hoping TT could help you. I thought the Museum of Naval Aviation had an FJ-1 virtual cockpit tour, but it seems only for the FJ-3. Curses!

Mike

• Like 2

Only operational unit was VF-5A/VF-51 but as an unusual permutation the squadron had eight aircraft equipped with larger wingtip tanks for the 1948 Bendix Trophy race. These tanks didn't have the nav light on the leading edge and had a prominent horizontal flange. Can post photos if required.

VF-51 entered seven FJ-1s in the 1948 Bendix Trophy Race for jets and a further four in the Allison Trophy at the National Air Races in Cleveland, Ohio. The Bendix race aircraft carried unique tip tanks, enlarged to 290 gallons capacity (almost twice the normal 170-gallon amount). The eight were (with race results/pilots):

BuAerNo.120350/101 - 2nd Bendix Trophy (Lt Cdr EP Aurand)

BuAerNo.120353/107 - did not finish Bendix Trophy (Lt Anthony T Capriotti)

BuAerNo. /111 - 3rd Allison Trophy (Lt Cdr AB Conner)

BuAerNo.120351?/113 - did not start Bendix Trophy (Ens C Pierozzi)

BuAerNo.120367/116 – 1st Bendix Trophy (Ens FE Brown); 1st Allison Trophy ( Lt LE Thompson)

BuAerNo. /117 - did not finish Bendix Trophy (Lt Cdr Elder)

BuAerNo. /119 - 3rd Bendix Trophy (Lt Eugene R Hanks)

BuAerNo. /120 - 4th Bendix Trophy (Ens Robert E Oechslin); 2nd Allison Trophy (Lt AE Nauman)

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 3

Courageous,

I have a good color  walkaround on the FJ-1 saved on my laptop, but the link to the website appears to be broken. I think I can send it as an attachment. If you will PM me with your email address, I would be happy to send it to you.

Mike

I hoped that the 'big guns' would turn up, and here you are :yes:.

TT- Thanks. I thought I had seen two variants. The kit comes with the early version but it doesn't look too difficult to make if needs be. And 'tailhooks' explains all.

Mike- Thanks. Will gladly accept the walkaround, will PM you.

SJ- Thanks. Very interesting about Bendix Trophy, I like the idea. One option in the kit shows 'US Navy, BuAer 120366, NARW-88, NAS Olathe KS, ca. 1953' and has markings for '107K'. Not sure if this '107' is the same as yours as their BuAer numbers are different? With the kit decals, it could be possible to do '107' and live with incorrect BuAer number as you can't hardly read it. I As a matter of interest, did these participants sport any special paint schemes for the 'trophy' events? And yes, please post the larger wing tanks.

Thanks again guys, all going well we could have a WiP starting soon at this rate.

Stuart

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

I've just come across a lovely image and can see this platform attached to open canopy.

800px-FJ-1_on_elevator_of_USS_Boxer_(CV-wikimedia commons

What is being exposed is now the question?

Stuart

Note also that the anti-glare panel in front of the windscreen is Non Specular (flat or matte depending on where you are) Sea Blue while the rest of the aircraft is Gloss Sea Blue.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

I have an FJ-1 kit produced by Siga many years ago (1997, it says on the decal sheet) with markings for an a/c of VF-51. You could have the VF-51 specific bits if you are desperate.

John

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, John R said:

I have an FJ-1 kit produced by Siga many years ago (1997, it says on the decal sheet) with markings for an a/c of VF-51. You could have the VF-51 specific bits if you are desperate.

John

Thanks John. Does the Siga decal sheet have any of the a/c that Sabrejet stated in his post #10, if so yes please to your offer?

Stuart

I thought it might be this one, BuAerNo.120350/101 - 2nd Bendix Trophy (Lt Cdr EP Aurand),  but the although the kit says 120350 and Pete Aurand the there is a number 102 on the a/c whereas I would have expected it to be 101

A quick google didn't show anything. Maybe Sabrejet could enlighten us further

John

• Like 1

:hmmm:Interesting.

The BuAer No is fixed at manufacture but I'm not sure about the 3 digit coding, could this change during its life?

From a decal point of view and using SJ's post, I should be able to use most of decals as I have '107' but the BuAer would be wrong but how many would notice except by me telling them...what else can you do except get some USN letters/ numbers?

Stuart

20 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Tommy, I should have gone to your blog re: the FJ-1. All I have is the Ginter book. It is one of his earliest, (No. 7) and the photos are not the best and it is missing a lot of technical drawings, etc. of his later issues on other subjects. I'm sure the size and scope of the book was limited by the publisher since it is one of his earlier books. Then again, the FJ-1 was not around too long. That could have a lot to do with it as well. 

Just found this. Isn't this the decal set that you have? It looks like the one you need.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/North-American-FJ-1-Fury.html#gallery_start

or do you have this one?

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/North-American-FJ-1-Fury-NAR-First-operational-jet-aircraft-in-US-Navy-service.html#gallery_start

It looks as if there were two versions of the kit. If so and you have the 'wrong' one try contacting Valom they may be able to help. A while ago I messed up a set from a Special Hobby kit and they sent me a replacement. Valom may be able to do the same.

John

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jpk said:

For those that may have not noticed, the FJ-1 is pretty much a jet powered P-51 Mustang. All the flying surfaces are essentially copies of the Mustang's. 

There's a comparison of the FJ-1 and the Mustang here. Note that the shift from a heavy piston engine in the nose to a jet engine amidships required a significant rearrangement of the fuselage stuff for center of gravity location.

• Like 1

John- I have the second kit for the NAR birds. Ideally I would have liked t'other kit but I bought on impulse when I saw a couple of years ago. I'm not that fussy which one to build to be honest but that @Sabrejet has whetted my appetite and I'd like to build one of those 'racers' with the bigger tanks; would be a rare model at the club shows, then again standard FJ-1 is a rare model too.

Stuart

Here goes:

First the standard tank (prototype a/c didn't have the aft-mounted fins):

standard tank

And then the 'Bendix' tank for comparison. Note the ugly welded patch that appears to have been put in place after the tank was mounted:

bendix tank

And finally one of the Bendix Trophy machines:

120367 116 S

• Like 3

Couple more Bendix Trophy shots: note the 'F-86-style' nosewheel on '101' and pilot's name also: a/c 107 would have been marked 'L CDR D GORDON' on both sides (both photos NMNA).

120350 101 S

I've seen a few other photos purporting to show 'Bendix' FJ-1s, but these photos don't show the modified tanks. Boeing Archives also has a nice shot of one of the aircraft during the tip tank conversion:

http://www.boeingimages.com/archive/FJ-1 Fury Production-2F3XC5B48DU.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

There's a comparison of the FJ-1 and the Mustang here. Note that the shift from a heavy piston engine in the nose to a jet engine amidships required a significant rearrangement of the fuselage stuff for center of gravity location.

Where's that comparison Tommy? There's no linky.