1/72nd B-25J Mitchell, 2 Sqn, RAAF, Australia 1945

On 28/02/2018 at 2:31 AM, Troy Smith said:

very neat as usual Tony

A question,  any idea why the back part of the turret got painted?  Added armour?  glare?   Not a detail I've seen before which is why I ask.

cheers

T

Cheers Troy,.....no I have no idea about the turret,..... I`m presuming the same as yourself. I`ve seen some without it too, but most seem to have the solid section. 

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Another cracker Tony well done.

I have the 1/48 version of the decal sheet and plan to do the same machine, think it looks suitably different with it's black undersides.

Cheers marra....... yes I liked the black undersides,.....plus that cracking nose art! I quite like the shark mouthed one too,.....so might end up doing another!

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, Troy Smith said:

very neat as usual Tony

A question,  any idea why the back part of the turret got painted?  Added armour?  glare?   Not a detail I've seen before which is why I ask.

cheers

T

I'm thinking it was painted to reduce glare/heat for the gunner; it would be pretty hard to fit a curved armored panel to match the plexiglass contours of the turret dome, I would think, but an aluminum sheet panel replacing the plexiglass panel would be relatively easy to form, but wouldn't do much for protection. See the photos of a restored Bendix B-25 upper turret in the link below and see what you think. I also threw in a video clip of an operating turret for your viewing pleasure, via You Tube!

Mike

https://www.maam.org/airshow/b25_turret.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4AzfCiQzB0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Fantastic looking Mitchell. How did you find the DK Decals? Quality and use etc? 

Thanks,......DK Decals,.....brilliant,......superbly researched,....great subjects and the quality is top notch.,.... very highly recommended,...... they are robust, settle well and are easy to move around the model.

Cheers

Tony 

Another stunner from you Tony ...

I could bite my bottom that I didn't buy that DK decal sheet then, now it is not available anymore - of course

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, occa said:

Another stunner from you Tony ...

I could bite my bottom that I didn't buy that DK decal sheet then, now it is not available anymore - of course

That`s the only thing with DK,.... they do sell out quickly! I wanted another RAF Commonwealth Liberator sheet and managed to track one down in Italy of all places! Took a while to track it down,.... the Aviation Hobby Shop in Holland stock DK Decals too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1