1/72nd B-25J Mitchell, 2 Sqn, RAAF, Australia 1945

Hiya Folks,

Another model that I have been wanting to built for some time now was this 1/72nd Hasegawa B-25J Mitchell in the markings of 2 Sqn RAAF, using decals from DK Decals.

The model was brush painted and reference photos were found in a couple of books including the excellent Allied Wings No.9 `The North American B-25 in RAAF Service' by Phil H Listermann.

I`m building a 1/48th scale Monogram B-25 kit alongside this one and was amazed at how similar the kits are in breakdown,......even when it comes to interior detail,..... almost as if the Hasegawa kit was an updated and reduced version of the older, larger kit.

39789659374_63e931b5df_k.jpgDSCF2502 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40499647031_58a8937b40_k.jpgDSCF2503_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40499645101_6a70add9da_k.jpgDSCF2507 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40499645851_8800bb7021_k.jpgDSCF2504 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40499651381_ef2de56a77_k.jpgDSCF2475_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

39789662554_d340c2b27e_k.jpgDSCF2469_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26628578418_cc229f0e03_k.jpgDSCF2509_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here is the Allied Wings book;

Image result for allied wings no.9 b-25

And the DK Decals;

Image result for b-25 raaf

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 74

2 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice one, Tony! What paint did you use for the uppersurface, if you don't mind?

Mike

Cheers Mike,....I used Tamiya Acrylic Olive Drab,.......thinned with Vallejo Thinner Medium which makes it so much easier to apply with a brush,..... a tip passed on to me by the owner of my local model shop!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One of my many ‘proposed’ future subject choices Tony, so it’s nice to see these decals applied to such a great build. 

Always happy to see you pay homage to us ‘Colonial’s’ every now and again. 

Cheers mate.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brenden S said:

Top job painting by brush that is for sure. I would be interested in a video on how you did it, as I just don't have the spare $$ for an airbrush kit.

Hello Brenden, thanks, glad you like the model.....but sorry I don`t do video`s! I just use a nice wide, flat brush for larger areas and apply the paint as thinly as possible,.... building up the coats and sanding in between each one where required. I usually take 3-4 coats,....with the last one applied more like a dry brushing technique,...the scrubbing of which helps to flatten any lumps or bumps. Hope that helps,

Cheers

Tony   

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Very interesting scheme  and  perfect realisation - both as usually for you! :)

I must admit, that Hasegawa Mitchell has some perfecty of shapes - I think this is matter of how canopies fit to fuselage for instance. And the surface which is just right.  This gives so realistic effect. I wonder if new Airfix can looks better...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Really great B-25 there Tony. Love the subtle weathering and overall finish. I've been tempted to go for the new Airfix B-25, and this has certainly inspired me to do so although this Hasegawa Mitchell rendering looks really good, as J-W says.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1