Tamiya Aichi M6a1 Seiran - Tango'd

unyS2Z7.jpg

After getting my last project - a JU88 which took me two months (agggges by my usual rushed standard) - completed, I wanted to have a palate cleanser.

Something small-ish, easy, and interesting... I had read about Japan's plan to attack the Panama Canal using submarine-launched float planes, and also had read that the Tamiya Aichi Seiran kit was a treat to put together... Oddly they seem to be generally cheap online too. It's an odd subject I suppose and likely attracts fewer people than superstars like the P-51, P-47, 109, 190 etc... 

Anyway - I decided to do the kit in prototype orange. A semi-what-if... The variety of images I found online for Japanese prototypes' colours seemed to span all the way from a light red, to a very dark yellow via varying hues of Orange. I still had most of a rattle can of Belton 'vermillion' left over from a drone Hellcat - so went with that as my shade. Markings were painted except for the tail number. 

I have included a few along the way steps. As ever I hope I haven't crossed the line between RFI and WIP here, but while it was too fast for a WIP, I was happy with how some techniques worked out... 

First off for the interior I primed black, then rattle-canned on something approximating to an interior green. I then made a wet palate and using a number of Vallejo paints started low and high-lighting areas. White green on raised areas / tops of units / edges of boxes and so on. This process is I  think really good fun, and very forgiving... You can essentially mix on the parts. 

Vru5vMW.jpg

Cr7p4b7.jpg

Once the rest of the kit was built (as expected - zero bumps along the way... the kit only just needs glue) I primed grey before pre-shading whole panels white or black. 

bUp4FBA.jpg

Then the orange went on. And another wet palate allowed for areas of ware to be brush painted or sponged on markings and main paint areas in varying shades before oil weathering. Similar process was used for prop and spinner. 

meDKlfV.jpg

Anyway - here's the rest of the pics! Thanks for looking. 

Bruce

hPwQq7n.jpg

ubQaOAY.jpg

eoV1d5Y.jpg

D9uv188.jpg

4Zsp74f.jpg

03XGRVj.jpg

• Like 14