Airfix 1.72 Dambuster, meant to be a quickie.....

Good day all,

Here is my latest finished effort, 1.72 Airfix newer tool Lancaster Dambuster. This originally started as a dual Lancaster build with a Revell version as well. As you can see only one has made it to the finish line so far, the other is a good few weeks behind! This kit was originally a birthday pressie a couple of years ago from my dear SWMBO, she asked what I would like and I said a model kit would be nice. In 20 odd years she has never bought me a kit, so I left it out there and this is what she got me. I'm not normally a Crabfat builder, preferring more of the Naval side of things but this one has a Canadian connection so qualifies under that genre. The build was quite laborious mainly down to my own incompetence of fitting numerous items the wrong way round! I used my favourite Model Master flat black and tried out Vallejo Air for the green and brown. I didn't like these at first as the first couple of coats were awful, but I persevered and in the end it looks ok. Also tried my first attempt at airbrush exhaust staining, a bit heavy but room for improvement. Finished with a Promodeller (Flory) wash and MM Matt varnish

So here we have it a Lancaster BIII flown by Flt Lt Joeseph McCarthy DFC RCAF during Operation Chastise

20180224_141924

20180224_142032

20180224_142022

20180224_142122

20180224_142049

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 32

Looks great.  

I've got one to build so hopefully it looks as nice as this!

I know what you mean about the exhaust staining, maybe run a light coat of Tamiya smoke over the top of the white to tone it down a bit?  It's tough to get it right, and also the Chastise Lancasters were very pampered and almost new at the time of the raid so weathering would have been limited.

I believe the white staining is a result of running the engines very lean to eek out a few more miles on nearly dry tanks on long raids over Germany, the Dams raid was relatively short, and at low level so the engines would have run cleaner.

See BBMF Lancaster which I guess would approximate the weathering on 617's Specials at the time...

Lancaster_PA474_BBMF_BenMontgomery.jpg?w

• Like 1