Canberra Pr.3 1/72

Magua87

Morning, all. 

I visited the RAF Museum at Hendon in January and was very interested in Canberra PR3 WE139

"8/9 Oct 53 Bearing the race number 3, and standard light ‘PR’ blue lower surfaces and light grey upper surfaces, winner of the Speed Section of the 19,746 km (12,270 mile) London Heathrow- Harewood International airport, Christchurch, New Zealand International Air Race, flown by the late F/L Roland L.E. ‘Monty’ Burton AFC and Bar (who died in France 29 April 1999 aged 80) with F/L Don Gannon DFC as navigator. Elapsed time 23 hours 50 minutes 42 seconds (Airborne time 22 hours 27 minutes) at an average speed of 795.8 Km/h (494.48 mph) - a new world record."

BUaELG0h.jpg

I see Aeroclub used to make a conversion of the Airfix Canberra to PR3 (not sure what the base model variant was). I haven't been able to find one handy. Is there any other route to a PR3 in 1/72 available? 

I'm quite keen on this ship. British Jet, New Zealand connection; it ticks all the boxes! 

• Like 1

A PR 3 is a B 2 with a slightly longer fuselage, a camera bay ahead of the bomb-bay (IIRC).  The Airfix kit was a B 6, which had slightly different engines but otherwise looked like a B 2.  The original Frog kit was a PR 7  which was the PR version of the  B 6.

As Graham says the PR. 3 was extended by 14 inches between bomb bay and nosewheel bay.  This provided the front camera bay.  The front half of the bomb bay became an additional fuel tank (as far back as the spar).  The rear section of the bomb bay became a pyrotechnics bay (flares, photoflashes).  Behind the rear of the bomb bay was a further camera bay: this had a small square camera port either side with three (IIRC) strengthening ribs above immediately abaft the bay doors.  The nose transparency lacked the optically flat bomb aimer’s window and the cockpit lacked his seat; the PR. 3 (and 7) being a two-man jet.

in the absence of a kit of the PR. 3 at present your best (least worst) option for now is the S&M B. 2, a good set of drawings, some plasticard and modelling skill.  As soon as you’ve finished your conversion S&M will announce an all-new, injection moulded PR. 3.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GordonM said:

Check the Rumourmonger thread

Taken from S & M Models website - I hope this is OK?

NEWS

MUSTARD arrives !!

S&M Models I delighted to release the First Images of the BAC MUSTARD kit.

These are the Engineering Pilot Masters and while they are not finished kits they are an important step in the process.

The next step is to add detail, landing gear and other parts and refine the Master for casting.

Its hoped to include decals with serials for individual craft and stacks.

These Masters will be on display at forthcoming shows S&M Models will attend. Starting at Huddersfield.

As a small bonus and to mourn the demise of ‘Coleman’s MUSTARD’ in Norwich the first 20 Kits will include a complimentary Pot of ‘Coleman’s MUSTARD’

Also for 2019 S&M Models will release 1/72 injection kits of the Canberra PR3/7 and Canberra T11

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Magua87 said:

Morning, all. 

I visited the RAF Museum at Hendon in January and was very interested in Canberra PR3 WE139

"8/9 Oct 53 Bearing the race number 3, and standard light ‘PR’ blue lower surfaces and light grey upper surfaces, winner of the Speed Section of the 19,746 km (12,270 mile) London Heathrow- Harewood International airport, Christchurch, New Zealand International Air Race, flown by the late F/L Roland L.E. ‘Monty’ Burton AFC and Bar (who died in France 29 April 1999 aged 80) with F/L Don Gannon DFC as navigator. Elapsed time 23 hours 50 minutes 42 seconds (Airborne time 22 hours 27 minutes) at an average speed of 795.8 Km/h (494.48 mph) - a new world record."

BUaELG0h.jpg

I see Aeroclub used to make a conversion of the Airfix Canberra to PR3 (not sure what the base model variant was). I haven't been able to find one handy. Is there any other route to a PR3 in 1/72 available? 

I'm quite keen on this ship. British Jet, New Zealand connection; it ticks all the boxes! 

Sure I have the aeroclub conversion in my stash somewhere, it was a replacement  fuselage that enabeled you to do a PR3 or PR7.

If you are desperate  we could arrange something but how much it would cost to get it to sunny NZ is anyones guess!

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

I did start a kit bash PR.3 here 57+9+6=PR.3 it's an option? I would be cautious going for the S&M route, if and when it comes out there are a number of issues that need resolving which I suspect will be cried over from the B.2/T.4 kits. but that all depends on how bothered you are about some things. Take a look around my site if you need more Canberra info with 115 PR.3 photos and a cockpit album plus seat and other detail albums. IPMS UK Canberra SIG

Regards

John   

• Like 3