ZH 590 Pylons.

Head in the clouds.

This is a repost of a question in the pinned Typhoon thread over in 'Modern' section.

Hi folks.

I am building ZH590 and it is currently displayed at Duxford so I am using these pics found on the web as my main reference point, however I am unsure of one thing and that is this; as ZH590 is currently displayed it has all 4 wing pylons attached to each wing but I can find no pics of this plane ever flying with all four attached  did it ever have all 4 attached or is this just for display purposes? 2  often seem the norm.

Great thread by the way and thanks for some of the snippets of info that have been very useful.

Thanks

Gary.

5 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

This is a repost of a question in the pinned Typhoon thread over in 'Modern' section.

Hi folks.

I am building ZH590 and it is currently displayed at Duxford so I am using these pics found on the web as my main reference point, however I am unsure of one thing and that is this; as ZH590 is currently displayed it has all 4 wing pylons attached to each wing but I can find no pics of this plane ever flying with all four attached  did it ever have all 4 attached or is this just for display purposes? 2  often seem the norm.

Great thread by the way and thanks for some of the snippets of info that have been very useful.

Thanks

Gary.

The Typhoon has six  (removable) wing pylons not 4, and two  perminantly fixed integrated tip stub pylons (ITSPL) .Typhoon DA4 pylons 

DA4 was used for numerous trials and would have been  fitted with every combination of pylons and tanks at some time during flight testing.

Please note that the inner wing pylons used on this aircraft are development types and are very different to those used on operational aircraft.

Selwyn

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Cheers Selwyn, I do have that pic, also I have the, I believe, the early boxing of the Revell  04338 two seat Typhoon, having looked at the pylons they do seem to be the early type and match the pic you sent.

Gary

Are you sure about that?  no Typhoon kit comes with inboard pylons. The kit you mention has tanks and one set of alternative centre wing pylons,  no inner wing pylons, or outer wing pylons come with the kit. Tanks have their own integral pylon. that is replaced with a seperate stores pylon if required.

All of the wing pylons on typhoon are completly different  on each station. 

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

I am not sure about anything with this hobby Selwyn:huh: I am aware that my kit does not have the inner pylons you mention but I am sure I can cobble some up, although I was not aware that no Typhoon kit comes with inner pylons....seems odd to me.

My choice is thus, this Linky or the pic you posted as it is in Duxford, I believe.

I will get there ....:D

Cheers.

On 25/02/2018 at 9:01 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi folks.

Thanks

Gary.

Gary I've had a look through the photos I have of the DA Typhoon's, not the full 7,000 Typhoon images mind, and I can't say she never had every pylon fitted but all the photos of her show here in a very clean configuration. DA-4 appears to have been used in AtoA refueling tests and the Italian DA-7 for weapons, that's not to say that non of the DA aircraft didn't share tasks. 

John

29 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

not the full 7,000 Typhoon images mind,

C'mon John, Christmas is over :winkgrin:, thanks for looking though.

I have come to the same conclusion after spending a few hours trawling the web, they were generally clean although, as you say it did do some refuelling sorties with 3 tanks and a weapon load so I am using that image as my inspiration.

Cheers

Gary.

• Like 1