HELP! Matte Cllear Coat Dried WHITE!

Speedbird 48

I find if you use MicroSol/Set for your decals you have to rinse the model with water once they have dried otherwise you can get white patches when you varnish - I generally use Kleer for gloss and Tamiya Flat Base in their gloss varnish for satin or matt, applied by airbrush. I should say I haven't tried the Winsor and Newton products, will watch out for them next time I go shopping.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rossm said:

I find if you use MicroSol/Set for your decals you have to rinse the model with water once they have dried otherwise you can get white patches when you varnish - I generally use Kleer for gloss and Tamiya Flat Base in their gloss varnish for satin or matt, applied by airbrush. I should say I haven't tried the Winsor and Newton products, will watch out for them next time I go shopping.

That is interesting. 

My Typhoon required liberal use of the two products to make the 40 year old transfers work. 

I shall be more careful in the future when using these "clever" products. 

Does anyone have any experience with the "Micro" gloss and matt varnish? I found a jar of each in a box, seemingly un used. 

@Speedbird 48 - for brush painting, I'd recommend (just as others have) Winsor & Newton Galeria Matte Varnish. You can get it from places like Blick Art Materials:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-galeria-acrylic-varnishes/

If you need to thin it, use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol), which you should be able to get from your local pharmacy. If you intend airbrushing it, then use 91-99% Isopropyl Alcohol to thin as there's less chance of it beading up on a glassy surface. If you prefer something else for airbrushing, I'd recommend Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear, thinned with their X-20A.

Edited by John Laidlaw
Fat-fingered XF-86 into XF-6

51 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

@Speedbird 48 - for brush painting, I'd recommend (just as others have) Winsor & Newton Galeria Matte Varnish. You can get it from places like Blick Art Materials:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-galeria-acrylic-varnishes/

If you need to thin it, use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol), which you should be able to get from your local pharmacy. If you intend airbrushing it, then use 91-99% Isopropyl Alcohol to thin as there's less chance of it beading up on a glassy surface. If you prefer something else for airbrushing, I'd recommend Tamiya XF-6 Flat Clear, thinned with their X-20A.

XF-6 is flat copper - I think you mean XF-86

• Thanks 1

I agree with Rossm about Micro set/Sol. You definitely need to wash the model after using any decal solutions.

I just thin Galeria with their Flow Improver. It actually needs little thinning when using a .5mm needle in the Iwata. 

It's weird, it looks very thick in the jar though.

Rick.