Hello from Southern Norway

Laufeyson

Hello all, 40 year old Norwegian here. I'm relatively new to modelling( although I did build some kits as a kid, decorated not with paint, but with glue and fingerprints...) After the local drilling industry went under a few years back, and I went unemployed for quite some time, I tried out a couple of Airfix starter kits, and are now officially hooked. I stick mostly to WW2, building aircraft and some armor in 1/72, and from time to time, figures in 1/35 and 28mm. I recently invested in an airbrush, and just started experimenting with weathering.

I suffer from a condition called Essential Tremor, which causes impaired motor skills, basically meaning my hands are shaking from time to time. Modelling might seem like a strange choice of hobbies in such a case, but to me it's a great way of giving the disease the finger😀 However, my finished builds are rarely 100%...😕

Looking forward to posting my finished builds here, and hoping to get a lot of good tips and advice from you guys.

• Like 2

Hello Laufeyson ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from Chocago USA. :welcome: to Modeling in general. I am an aircraft builder primarily WW2, but some cold war types. I  suffer from Type 2 Diabetes as do others and E.Tremor as well. There are medications to control the tremors if you speak to your physician. That being said I look forward to seeing your work soon. 

Dennis

Hei og velkommen Laufeyson fra opp i Nord-Norge!

Good on you modelling and what a great way as you put it to give your condition the finger. Looking forward to seeing what you're working on and watching your builds.

Cheers,

Tim

PS - I like the Rolf Arne Berg Spit avatar ;)

:welcome: to BM Laufeyson, glad to know you. Model building can be great therapy, too. Dennis is fond of telling newcomers to the site to build for themselves and enjoy it. He is correct about this. You will find that this site is a goldmine. These are the most generous people when it comes to knowledge, advice, and help. I look forward to your work, comments, and questions. I am Joe; live in SE Wisconsin. my interests are 1/72nd scale aircraft, no particular era. Have fun!

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Working on an Airfix Wildcat at the moment, lovely little kit. Hope to have it ready for inspection soon.

Cheers, 

Haavard

13 hours ago, Laufeyson said:

I suffer from a condition called Essential Tremor, which causes impaired motor skills, basically meaning my hands are shaking from time to time. Modelling might seem like a strange choice of hobbies in such a case, but to me it's a great way of giving the disease the finger😀 However, my finished builds are rarely 100%...😕

:welcome: aboard, and :clap2: for you for fighting against your illness.  I think I know someone with that (not sure of the name in English), and it's not the easiest thing to live with.  I don't think any of our builds are 100% though, so you should fit in well ;)

Hei Hei,

Welcome to the BM website. Not sure where you are in southern Norway but your beautiful country holds fond memories for me. Spent six really great years working and living in Stavanger (not the O&G industry though) and maintained my lifelong interest in the hobby by getting into the local modelling scene whilst I was there. Made some great friends in the local IPMS Norge club and still keep in touch with the guys from my new home in Estonia which is also a great place but a bit of a modelling desert. Really pleased to hear that your new hobby is helping with your medical condition. If you are in the vicinity of Stavanger it would be well worth your while linking up with the IPMS club......For us, it was more about the social interaction and less about relative modelling skills although some in the club are seriously good.

Again, welcome aboard, 

Mark in Tallinn

Hi there Laufeyson, I`ve been modelling since I was a young lad in 1940 and have yet to be 100% satisfied

with any model I`ve ever built !. So don`t let that worry you.

Don.

Greeting from across your Western Ocean. I'm not very good at finishing models either. I suffer from age-induced failing vision and unsteady hands. I am now retired from 35 years in the Canadian Oilsands. I have recently started an Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I ragwing kit. I plan to finish it as one of the 20 Hurcs Canada received in 1939.

Chris

Thanks Mark, Stavanger is a lovely city and pretty close to Kristiansand where I live (for us, close means a four hour drive...:lol:)

Thanks, Don. Modelling since 1940, respect! This means you have seen most of our subjects in real life and new condition?

Thanks Chris. Remember doing documentation work for some equipment sold to Canada, not an easy task when it is your first meeting with the CSA.

Built an Airfix Hurricane a while back, great kit -I am really loving those new tool kits from Airfix. There were some Norwegians flying Hurricanes, now there is an idea for a future project...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laufeyson said:

Thanks Mark, Stavanger is a lovely city and pretty close to Kristiansand where I live (for us, close means a four hour drive...:lol:)

Thanks, Don. Modelling since 1940, respect! This means you have seen most of our subjects in real life and new condition?

I understand distance. The closest hobbyshop to me is a 5.5 hour/450km. drive south, at the minimum. The weather can vary quite a bit in between. I have done that drive, there and back, in one day, but I just can't do it anymore. Too old to sit in one place that long. I either have to stay in a hotel or at my mother-in-law's, who smokes like a chimney!

Chris