RAF Black Hawk - errr...I mean a Hawk that's Black

Mrs Quack wanders into the Inner Sanctum of Quack Towers, and stares pointedly at the model on Quack's desk.

"Errrr...I just made this Dearest," mumbles Quack. "I whittled it out of old clothes pegs and glued it together with toothpaste!"

"No you didn't you lying Git," his beloved retorts.

"It's an Italeri 1/48 Bae Hawk with some Eduard bits in the cockpit - I've read the credit card bill, and your doing the Vacuuming for the next month!"

So dear fellows, I humbly present Quack's first model for 40 years, Hawk XX162 assigned to the RAF Centre of Aviation Medicine - It was a 'School' when I did a course there back in '94 (I think) and I have fond memories of Farnborough.

And Pot Noodle but that's another story!

39510831235_c20600f120_z.jpgDSCF0889 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

39510832295_0832ab1f45_z.jpgDSCF0886 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

39510823595_c6728edc69_z.jpgDSCF0879 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

39510828395_bfa506dedf_z.jpgDSCF0884 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

39510825605_b0795b9094_z.jpgDSCF0885 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Quack foolishly thought the Black finish would be easy for a starter kit - unfortunately everything went dimply and 'orange-skin'

The Photos make it look even worse - It looks marginally better viewed with real eyes in daylight, but not much!

39510826975_32b37f6442_z.jpgDSCF0890 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

But I have a perfect solution to this - simply remove glasses and Voila!

26536473738_fae3241bf8_k.jpgDSCF0891 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

vastly better - I'm sure you'll agree....

Be gentle wiv me - My eyes are ageing and my fingers shaky. The learning curve is steep at my end, but all-in-all I'm happy to place this on my shelf as it triggers happy memories.

I've learned a lot doing this one and look forward to the next!

Happy plastic-mangling everybody - I'm off to do some Vacuuming....and Ironing.....and Dusting.....and.....

• Like 31
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Oh Hell - I just seem to have posted this in ARMOUR!

now how do I sort this one out??????

Duh:dunce:

Ask a mod, or report your thread asking for it to be moved. Its done now. 

Nice model, black like silver seems to show every imperfection. You could try polishing out your finish with some very fine micromesh prior to a varnish cost, that should sort out any small imperfections.

Julien

• Thanks 1

That's a great effort if you're coming in at this level. I got offered a back seat in this in 09 but the SMO wouldn't sign it off, so it never happened👎

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Happy plastic-mangling everybody - I'm off to do some Vacuuming....and Ironing.....and Dusting.....and.....

Had a laugh - I've just had a similar 'discussion' with my beloved via Skype. Seems our son brought my latest purchase home when I wasn't there and SWMBO did her block. She reckons I've got 67 models in boxes in the storeroom and don't need anymore! No amount of, 'But it's a rare kit and I only paid $20 for it!' had any effect. Looks like similar chores coming up for me - luckily she hasn't counted all of them and has missed the kits I have here with me (and the one on order at the LMS)!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice - especially the cockpit panels.  They look nice.  Just got a 1/48 hawk and am between doing the all over black and grey with a black tail.  Already have one ingrey green.  This is making me think it should be black

• Thanks 1

Grateful thanks to the Admin who took pity on a distressed Quack, waved the magic wand and made everything better.:clap2:

And thanks, folks, for all your kind words of encouragement...too kind....waaaay too kind.

Humbled Quack  :thumbsup2:

Looks great, very tidy build.

My Hawk (with resin & PE pit & pilot) ended up in the wheelie bin after I buggered it up in such a spectacular & original fashion that I'm too ashamed to cough to. :facepalm:

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Looks great, very tidy build.

My Hawk (with resin & PE pit & pilot) ended up in the wheelie bin after I buggered it up in such a spectacular & original fashion that I'm too ashamed to cough to. :facepalm:

Pete

no no no no NO!!!   You CANNOT tease us all like that and then not spill the beans! we insist on the details - and preferably the photos. :fight:

8 hours ago, bar side said:

Nice - especially the cockpit panels.  They look nice.  Just got a 1/48 hawk and am between doing the all over black and grey with a black tail.  Already have one ingrey green.  This is making me think it should be black

The cockpit panels came from the Eduard set of pre-printed PE. It fitted well and looks vastly better than my attempts at painting photo-etch. That'll be another step on my learning curve...actually it's not so much a curve as a staright vertical line!  Still, I managed to avoid my old trademark gluey fingerprint on the canopy.:dunce:

• Like 1

Hmm, ok then. Plan A was for gear down, CMK pit & nose weight installed. I changed my mind & decided to go for in flight, the base was a chart of St Athan ( where the Hawk was from) with a brass rod up the jet pipe (if you’ll forgive the expression). A PJ productions pilot was added.  The nose weight put stress on the back end, how to resolve this? A small squirt of builders gap filling foam would be ideal to fill the void & be an anchor to the rod. Unfortunately the foam expanded too much, seeped out of many holes & filled the cockpit. I used most of my vocabulary of Anglo Saxon vernacular. Next destination, Trafford Council’s finest grey bin. 

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. 

Pete

• Thanks 1