1/72 Italeri F/A-18D

I'm back home on leave now so I have been able to take some photos of this project I completed during my last 28 day trip working at sea.

It's a pretty dated kit, raised panel lines and probably a lot of simplification, but it served it's purpose in giving me quite a few hours of enjoyment.

IMG_5765

IMG_5762

IMG_5761

IMG_5753

• Like 17

Interesting result you have there. It got me thinking:

I started to dislike raised panel lines when I learnt that everybody considers recessed panel lines better. However, upon looking at real aircraft, you do not notice neither raised or recessed panel lines. Instead, there's just a line. Furthermore, some kit's recessed panel lines are too thick or too deep or both and it really does not look realistic. I find that there are only a very few cases where the recessed panel lines are soft enough and even then, they are objectively unrealistic when you multiply their dimensions by 72 or whatever your scale is. And knowing that people like recessed panel lines on the basis of weathering, I think it could be done with the help of masking tape on smooth surfaces to a much more realistic effect.

But now, looking at your raised panel line Hornet and comparing it with mine from Fujimi with extensive narrow but deep recessed panel lines, yours is better because there is less contrast from those panel lines whereas mine, well, it does not look realistic.

Unfortunately, the resolution of your camera doesn't help me appreciate the model very well though I can tell by looking at the wing joints that you built it for the enjoyment (like I do). Also, unless the resolution is tricking me, I can tell it was airbrushed like most models here. Now I don't want to go on and on how airbrushed models hardly look realistic because of that orange peel effect but all in all, I would like to see a model with the weathering quality that you managed here but with an entirely smooth surface and sealed seems.

I have one question, though. The canopy frames look very smooth for Italeri. Did you sand them down?

PS: I'm building a 1/72 Kiowa with a smooth surface to see how it comes out.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Alberto, you make some interesting points.

I am quite new to building aircraft and will freely admit to being influenced by what I have read on the internet and taking a dislike to raised panel lines without actually building one. :smile:

I bought this kit because I liked the look of the box art and it was cheap, a true beginners criteria. :D I had no idea it had raised panel lines until I had bought it and opened the box.

I just tried to do the best I could with what I had and enjoy it. I am glad you brought up a couple of weakness' though, my filling of seams and photography. Both of those really do need some work.

The canopy came with the kit and the funny thing is I was going to give it a coat of acrylic floor polish. That stuff has been in the ships cleaning gear cupboard for months and when I want to use some it's disappeared. We don't have any decks onboard that require polishing either. :confused:

30 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I just tried to do the best I could with what I had and enjoy it. I am glad you brought up a couple of weakness' though, my filling of seams and photography. Both of those really do need some work.

Hey man, I'm not that good of a modeller myself. I hardly bother filling the seams and my camera is only sharp at 28mm, which distorts the image (!).

But I do think that an imperfect model has more personality than a perfect one that might as well have come out a factory line.

In your case, I was just surprised that you missed the seams after so much attention to the shading and the colors on the missiles. Perhaps your strength is with the paint!