Sdkfz 251 C

I was in two minds whether to start up this thread but here goes.  I've started a new project. Simple little build of an old kit. 

Some simple little modification, mainly some stowage and a 3.7cm gun fitted. 

Tarps are  made from a putty I found in hobby craft, only downside... it needs baking in the oven to set. Allowing it to air dry some on the kit actually acts like it has plastic cement between the two.

ive actually progressed on from this point, but no photographs yet.

25574516537_99256dd42c_b.jpg39735180494_333ab7fb55_b.jpg39735180494_333ab7fb55_b.jpg39549268675_2d024856c1_b.jpg

also cutting an artillery loader up to fit as driver.... it's a tight fit!!!

38635088080_c8d075a21a_b.jpg

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 2

Just some of tre accessories I’ll be adding to this one. :-) 

rust undercoat done. Added Maskol just awaiting it to try. 

Tarps, buckles, straps all hand made. 

Lots of the ammo cans boxes etc are all castings I’ve made from Tamiya parts 

39578053635_ebb7fcca2d_b.jpg39578053455_664dd5e8e6_b.jpg26603209408_00d78eccb6_b.jpg39578051715_9d4d39fac4_b.jpg

Hope you enjoy 

• Like 4

Ive started some colour on the halftrack. I think this one might remain normal colours.. no winter washes here..

38764401010_4e4b215bd0_b.jpg25704002967_89ffa2cd31_b.jpg39863913014_b87c1a3123_b.jpg26702852408_b691f6e375_b.jpg

the interior is currently just plain dunklegelb. I’ve applied a couple of layers of tone to the exterior to flatten the colours down. 

1 pass with Tamiya dust wash

1 pass with Tamiya black wash and another or brown wash 

before more washes are applied I’ll be adding the decals. And fixing the annoying arch markers that snapped off when I knocked it 😡🤬

• Like 3

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle It wasn’t directed at you at all. Your likes and comments are very much appreciated.  More the lack of other contributors to either likes or comments. Depressing to see my posts get hundreds of views and so few likes/comments. Yet other posts seem to be swarmed with comments etc. 

Im not trying to like harvest.. far from

it. But just feeling I’m posting for my own posterity atm. :-( 

sorry ranting probably doesn’t help. I’m just thinking after only a short time on the forum I’ll be leaving :-/ 

Hello Steve ... no I get it i sometimes feel the same with an RFI in the Aircraft section. Never thought you were “like” harvesting. Actually your incorrect sometimes ranting does help to get your frustrations out. It would be a shame to see you go, of course thats up to you. Maybe step away briefly and come back when you've reset and feel like its time. 

Do you build Armor exclusively? If not maybe step away and try something else to see if the same pattern of views vs lack of comments repeats ? If yes then you have an answer to your initial question. If you get more responses it could be just the armor group ? I’d be glad to assist you with aircraft if you ever choose to try that route. Again I Hope you don't leave. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Thank Dennis. Very nice of you to say. 

I havnt made any aircraft for 20 years. However I do have a sci-fi project to continue. One that I stripped all the paint off to redo and fix. So I’ll give that a go. Will enable me to use some of my brighter colours too! :-) 

i guess once this ones finished and in the AFV RFI page then I’ll see what happens :-) I upload my builds through my FB page also. And found overnight I received 400+ likes and 50 comments! Maybe I’m still just to new here?? 

Keep up your good work. 

I’m off to Farnham military fair today hoping to find something cool 

Steve 

• Like 1

Hello,

nice build ! Don't be upset about the lack of comments, seems there not so much activity on here these days ... much less than usual, I'd say ;)

E

Don't be disheartened,  it's a funny old world I've posted aeroplanes before now and had pretty much no response at all yet some others grab folks attention. 

I must hold my hand up and admit I do watch yet don't always get around to commenting.

:huh:

I could try blaming someone for making me dig out a Dragon Jagdtiger and make a start on that after watching their great build.:thanks:

Great work on the half track too.

I never tend to comment on builds unless there's something I especially like. In this case, I'm a fan of that stowage, the thing really looks loaded with gear.

I've found that you can't expect people to respond to your stuff on forums, so I keep my expectations low.

Thank you all so much 

@longshanks @clive_t @Etienne @Jasper dog @Hairtrigger @Sairou

That has all given me so much more confidence to continue on posting. 

Forums are funny things, I used to help run a car owners club forum and even getting people to sign up is difficult, then to use it instead of Facebook. I enjoy the forum side because it allows me to be a slightly different me (my Facebook page is also my business page!) 

that said ive added some more today,  just need to weather the Pak and then muddy up :-) 

38831035620_26c0d77b94_b.jpg

39931200224_6634eff44b_b.jpg

25770395457_b770c8fcdf_b.jpg

thank you all again 😀😀😀

• Like 4

Looking good, is the Pak the Tamiya 75mm one?

Surprising how good an old kit can turn out in the right hands.:clap:

Braver than I posting a wip, I find more can be hidden once finished and posted in RFI:whistle:

Not to mention I'm so slow that I'd feel guilty about dragging folk along for so long.

Cheers Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, nice piece....I have a Hannomag in my pile to take a look at one day. The flag is going to be a definite addition. what is the flag made from if you don;t mind me asking. Also, a good tip on tarps and bed roles of thin ,material etc. I like to use lead foil..I use it for the straps holding them together also...if you having issues with clay material as you said earlier.

All the best.

Simon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The flag is going to be a definite addition. what is the flag made from if you don;t mind me asking

Good question Simon ... Ive tried in the past to find these for german armor builds, and never did find anything usable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good question Simon ... Ive tried in the past to find these for german armor builds, and never did find anything usable. 

I did some research when Clive popped a flag on his dio......I came on a printable fine fabric for your printer at home.......it said permanent once printed. I might try it out next chance.

Regards

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking good, is the Pak the Tamiya 75mm one?

Surprising how good an old kit can turn out in the right hands.:clap:

Thank you, yes both of these are the 1978 kit I think,  not bad but the flashing is getting silly 🤐

36 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Steve, nice piece....I have a Hannomag in my pile to take a look at one day. The flag is going to be a definite addition. what is the flag made from if you don;t mind me asking. Also, a good tip on tarps and bed roles of thin ,material etc. I like to use lead foil..I use it for the straps holding them together also...if you having issues with clay material as you said earlier.

All the best.

Simon.

The flags made from silk paper, printed from the PC, I superglue the Black and white to prevent colour bleach from the red. Then PVA glue it down, you loose some colour, but I top it back up with tamiya clear red. It's not so strong as normal red. :-) 

other flags I'm yet to experiment with. 

28 minutes ago, Chillidragon said:

What a 'lived in' look on that 251/10! And is that edge stitching I see simulated on the tarp?

I found some really fine fabric that I was able to roll and pull the edge from :-) 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steve_farrier said:

The flags made from silk paper, printed from the PC...

I found some really fine fabric that I was able to roll and pull the edge from :-) 

Nicely done.  I must look into this silk paper...

• Like 1

I've managed yet more tonight as well as starting my lynx restoration!!! Good job the miss watches so much awful telly I can excuse myself freely ha ha ha 

26787160468_d1e2a02124_b.jpg

25790058087_4f144776cb_b.jpg

25790057917_f093e00b97_b.jpg

Dust sk layer and mud left to go.... need to find a good mud substitute :-) 

• Like 3