Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star "Quetzales" (Hasegawa 1/72)

Mario

Hello modellers,
I would like to share another project finished yesterday. This time is an T-33A Shooting Star made from the old Hasegawa kit. It depicts a plane from the Guatemalan aerobatic team “Quetzales”. Originally I wanted to use the Microscale decal sheet for the build, but after all the refenrences provided by fellow Britmodeller  Luis Alfonso, I ended with custom printed decals as the purchased sheet was lacking some markings and especially the national insignia was much too light.
Apart from the decals, I made several improvements on the Hasegawa kit. Rescribing turned out very difficult because of the hard polystyrene they used and the age of the kit. As I got the kit second hand, the tip tanks and intakes were already glued - very deeply into the fuselage which made a lot of filling and sanding necessary.
The nose landing gear is very fragile and I replaced it completely, using only the wheel and scratchbuilding the rest from needles and sprue. Other improvements were the two guns in the nose made from hypodermic needles and the device on the tail for the smoke which was made from brass sheet, brass tubing  and silver rod. Two wing pylons were made from styrene sheet, too. The wheel wells and airbrakes  were also improved with styrene sheet, sprue and metal rod . Pilots in the cockpit are from the Revell sets, the others from Hasegawa. Paints used were Humbrol polished aluminium, polished steel and decanted silver chrome. For the gloss coat, I used Gauzy shine enhancer.
Finally I have to say that I have really enjoyed this “over-the-pond- project with Luis Alfonso doing the research and me doing  the building.
Mario

E9PyPxs.jpgpmGijYP.jpglf7SadI.jpggfPPKor.jpg1l9no0a.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very nice result! - FAG is "Fuerza Aerial Guatemala"? . Luis Alfonso knows it and will correct...

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!

Thank you for the comment. I think Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca - but let´s wait for Luis Alfonso who should know best..

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:clap: ... the Plane and crew Really look good. Though the two guys on the ground should be running shouldn't they ? Looks like they're about to get run over by the taxiing plane. 😉JK

Thank you very much! Generally I would say you are right, but was only a fake take off;)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, glatisant said:

Lovely model. I admire your skill and modelling ability. A super looking T33.

7 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Nice build and equally impressive are the pilot figures - they're very well painted.

Thank you very much for the kind comments glatisant and Knight-Flyer! Very much appreciated!

28 minutes ago, zebra said:

Very nice T-33 Mario. The rescribing turned out really well and I love the finish.

I´m very glad you liked it. Wasn´t completely happy with the rescribing as the styrene was so hard. Had to use the Tamiya scriber which usually makes huge trenches but after priming and a coat of glossy black, it turned out ok. 

Cheers,

Mario

7 hours ago, Mario said:

Thank you, Martin! I´m following your footsteps with the Latin American T-33s.

Well, you have an opportunity to get ahead of me, Mario. I am stuck on a couple of MIGs now and then have a couple of F-105s lined up. I do still have two more Platz T-33s in the pile and a lot of decals for Latins, and others. Let's see how my spare time works out ;). Good luck with yours. 

Martin

• Like 1

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 12:14 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Well, you have an opportunity to get ahead of me, Mario. I am stuck on a couple of MIGs now and then have a couple of F-105s lined up. I do still have two more Platz T-33s in the pile and a lot of decals for Latins, and others. Let's see how my spare time works out ;). Good luck with yours. 

Martin

This one has been the only T-33 kit in my stash. Good luck with your builds. Also have a couple of unbuild Revell and Monogram Thuds.

Cheers,

Mario

On ‎27‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 7:07 AM, kapam said:

Beautiful work!  I'm a big fan of the T-33 and Hasegawa's kit still stands up okay in my view. :goodjob:

Thank you very much Kapam. I agree with you regarding the Hasegawa kit. Unfortunately, as the Heller T-33, both are hard to find meanwhile. But think the cost was only one third of the new Platz kit.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful build!!!...or better to say for another wonderful build!!!

I have had missing the real pleasure to visit here but today have got the chance to check. I have to say that this wonderful build started since you got your kit many moons ago, then, as you really pursued the truth, was not an easy thing as I really get predated all the info sources available to share a great pictures collection and details about this wonderful aircraft in Guatemalan Air Force Service (In Spanish "Fuerza Aèrea Guatemalteca"). The version you depicted here was the very best of all, the earlier was a plain silver without nothing more than numbers and FAG insignias and words. When in 1970 the aircraft began to be decorated with Shark Mouths in the nose  and bolts in the tip tanks in a nicely jazzy way, the aircraft acquired a nice character. I remember it was in early 1970 when it happened as remember My Brother was coming from IAAFA Academy  (USAF School for Latin America) in Albrook AFB, Panama Canal Zone in July 1970 when we watched one tow getting one of the aircraft to into the hangar to get paint in that way. The depicted Aircraft here number 721, was the one flown by Maj. Leonel Solìs Vàsquez, who turned the commander officer of the Squadron after the A-37 Squadron was formed. This scheme was the used in 1970 and great part of 1971 before celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the FAG Foundation, as by December of that year the aircraft began to wear a Black Quetzal Bird in the tail just above the numeral.

It is, as always, a great pleasure to deal  with the RESEARCH part of the team in this side of the pond, to help you complete the BUILD part in the other side of the pond, really enjoyed how my memories could be, after a lot of years, can be put together for advice and help do a masterpiece far away in the other extreme of the world. I grew watching those birds flying here and showing the flag even in other parts of the world like the celebration of the Panama Air Force anniversary, or even in USA Jacee's Air Show in 1967 when the Escuadrilla Quetzales did a great performance... What a time I as child I have had watching this silver shark mouthed and bolted birds air shows each december!!!  

Thank you for get in detail and scale the memorable aircraft in perfect masterpiece build!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso       

• Like 2

On ‎07‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 5:50 AM, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful build!!!...or better to say for another wonderful build!!!

I have had missing the real pleasure to visit here but today have got the chance to check. I have to say that this wonderful build started since you got your kit many moons ago, then, as you really pursued the truth, was not an easy thing as I really get predated all the info sources available to share a great pictures collection and details about this wonderful aircraft in Guatemalan Air Force Service (In Spanish "Fuerza Aèrea Guatemalteca"). The version you depicted here was the very best of all, the earlier was a plain silver without nothing more than numbers and FAG insignias and words. When in 1970 the aircraft began to be decorated with Shark Mouths in the nose  and bolts in the tip tanks in a nicely jazzy way, the aircraft acquired a nice character. I remember it was in early 1970 when it happened as remember My Brother was coming from IAAFA Academy  (USAF School for Latin America) in Albrook AFB, Panama Canal Zone in July 1970 when we watched one tow getting one of the aircraft to into the hangar to get paint in that way. The depicted Aircraft here number 721, was the one flown by Maj. Leonel Solìs Vàsquez, who turned the commander officer of the Squadron after the A-37 Squadron was formed. This scheme was the used in 1970 and great part of 1971 before celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the FAG Foundation, as by December of that year the aircraft began to wear a Black Quetzal Bird in the tail just above the numeral.

It is, as always, a great pleasure to deal  with the RESEARCH part of the team in this side of the pond, to help you complete the BUILD part in the other side of the pond, really enjoyed how my memories could be, after a lot of years, can be put together for advice and help do a masterpiece far away in the other extreme of the world. I grew watching those birds flying here and showing the flag even in other parts of the world like the celebration of the Panama Air Force anniversary, or even in USA Jacee's Air Show in 1967 when the Escuadrilla Quetzales did a great performance... What a time I as child I have had watching this silver shark mouthed and bolted birds air shows each december!!!  

Thank you for get in detail and scale the memorable aircraft in perfect masterpiece build!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso       

Hi Nephew Luis Alfonso!

Thank you very much for your kind words.  As you know have really enjoyed this build as much as the other over-the-pond-projects in the past. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge and references. Guess for you it was also a trip back to the good old days.

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Uncle Mario!!!

Was remembering this voluntary build and how far we were from these modern times we are living. Hope all is going very well and always thank you very.much for those wonderful builds you did dealing FAG subjects!!!!

Keep on modeling and see how far can we go this time!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso.