Red Arrows, Now and Then - Airfix Gnat and Hawk 1/72

CedB

On 06/03/2018 at 09:02, andyf117 said:

Clever thinking...

....this may be a stupid question, but...

....did you check that the angle-of-the-dangle diagram is actually drawn at 25 degrees?

Er, no? I trust Airfix :D

On 06/03/2018 at 11:07, keefr22 said:

Actually Ced, you might be surprised at how much weathering you could get away with - I know my mate & I were surprised how shabby the jets were getting when up close to them at Fairford last year;

[snip pic]

DSCF5345 - Copy

[snip pic]

The light conditions were pretty bad, but I think that helped the weathering show up better, as they'd probably look much better in bright sunshine! The jets are getting on now though & they're pretty hard worked, so I guess they have the right to start showing some 'patina'....!!

However, I think this is one of those times in modelling that if you finished the kit to look right, it would actually look wrong!

Keith

On 06/03/2018 at 12:05, Courageous said:

I think in 1/72 scale, you wouldn't see any weathering of these show birds.

Stuart

On 06/03/2018 at 14:24, rob Lyttle said:

Yes, get a good shine on the gloss, there's always good reflection going on with these, and maybe something to pick out a little panel lines details.

I came across some discussion about the seat height. Apparently the"seat" bit is adjustable, and Revell at least have produced them in the up-max position, as they're often left.

If airfix have done the same, that might be why Red One sits  so high .

By-the - by, I remember a radio - control model some years ago that consisted of 4 airframes on a frame in a diamond 4.

Red-One had the engine, Two +Three had the ailerons function, and RedFour was elevator. 

Fast and furious would sum it up neatly.!

Thanks Keith for the great photos and Stuart and Ron for the comments :)

I might use a grey primer then and see how it goes...

Rear view mirrors? OOB!

Black gloss finish? OOB!

Thanks Bill for the backup! :D

18 hours ago, massimo said:

These guys are growing really well!!!;)

Thanks massimo :)

Feeling a little fragile after a great lunch yesterday. Canopy masking? I don't think so  :hungover:

I did paint the seal on the inner glazing for the Hawk:

38862369170_f07275f770_z.jpg

... and the anti-glare:

39963264134_f348e231bb_z.jpg

The sticky-out bits are also on after some fights with the carpet monster.

Then I thought I'd have a go at this:

39778138155_844899f879_z.jpg

Cut the end off and drilled a small hole in the mount:

40631376512_fac2d3408b_z.jpg

Glued that into the mount:

25802456347_67735969a0_z.jpg

Then I slid a shorter piece of larger tube over the top and CA'd it:

39963653334_e6c019f22c_z.jpg

Quite pleased with that, and with myself for persevering in my current state, self-inflicted though it may be...

• Like 11

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Rear view mirrors? OOB!

Black gloss finish? OOB!

What Giorgio said....!! 

But I'll forgive you straying to get rid of Airfix's idea of what a pitot looks like - nice work too!

K

• Like 3

Thanks Giorgio ,I know it's not strictly OOB but I just couldn't bring myself to use that scrap of plastic :)

Thanks Simon - fnaar! :D

Thanks Andy - I think Airfix have been making a lot more effort with their new tools so fingers crossed. Looks good to me :)

Thanks Keith - I was chuffed with it... easy but satisfying :)

Still a bit wobbly but I really wanted to see how the #15 worked during masking:

26806333028_d16194feaf_z.jpg

Ultra Mask and Gator’s Grip by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Really well is the answer. I've been using #6s, following Paul Budzik's advice on pushing rounded blades down the mask cut line so you can see where you're going. The #15 is a lot smaller so you can see even more.

I like them (except when they're stuck in your neck!)

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Thanks Dave :)

It worked just as well on the Hawk:

38869857300_8ca7193f25_z.jpg

The Ultra Mask is good too - follows the curves of the canopy so only two pieces needed for the main part of that one. Hopefully there'll be no paint creep - that canopy fits really well.

Primer tomorrow.

• Like 5

Thanks Rob, very kind. It is a nice kit :)

Thanks Matt - the Gnat is nice but I wished I'd spent a bit more time on the wing fit at the front. Ho hum :)

As promised, primer on:

40686703951_eb92978a0c_z.jpg

I also spent some time deep cleaning the cheapo airbrush, the one I use for nasty stuff like primer and Klear. It's one of those with the tiny, tiny nozzle bit.

If it starts spitting again, its days may be numbered :whip:

• Like 5

Hello Ced. They look good with the primer. I'm a bit suprised how small the Gnat is. I mean the Hawk looks much bigger, although it isn't one of the biggest jets at all. I like the Gnat in that grey colour very much . Maybe you should let it as it is,...err unfishished OOB.

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio and Benedikt, kind of you :)

It's Stynylrez primer which we all know is designed to dry really quickly so you can do a top coat on someone's nail art in the lunch hour.

I've left it for a couple of hours and then thought 'Oooh, OOB and single colour, I can blast the paint on these like I used to do in the old days'.

Blasted, 0.4 nozzle at 15psi:

39977516074_1e5471b9b7_z.jpg

It's my first use of Xtracolour 'in anger' (I have their IG) and I need a gloss coat and a good surface for BIG transfers so I added Cookie's thinner as we all know that using someone else's method always produces the same results that they get. I know I'm using a bigger nozzle but hey...

I was a bit worried that there was a plasticy mess on the rim of the new bottle. I also didn't realise that the Xtracolour had really fine pigment. How do I know? It's got everywhere:

39977519694_2214efa5f5_z.jpg

The coverage, however, was less than optimal:

38877176190_94403c45ec_z.jpg

Entirely my fault, I know - too much thinner (about 50/50), too much paint.

Earlier I was worried about the primer colour but commented that the panel lines were quite deep and would probably show up OK. Yeah, right...

40645448072_ce599d3988_z.jpg

39792455145_e370e220c3_z.jpg

I'll let that dry and then go over it with a smaller nozzle at less pressure to try and get a more even coat - we shall see!

Having the dressing changed on my neck again this afternoon so I may be (even more) grumpy later. Apologies in advance.

• Like 9

I'm not sure a 'like' was the best option there Ced, but I'm sure it'll be alright on the night, & they'll both look great in the end!

Hope you don't get too much pain in the neck later....:(

Keith

• Thanks 1

Well Ced, just a suggestion sir.

Give them a base coat of yellow , then spray the "Red Arrows" Red.

The yellow will bring the "Red" out more.

Good luck at the Dr`s mate, and don`t forget the liquid pain killer ?

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith - I'll grit my teeth :)

Thanks Simon - yellow? Now he tells me... not to worry, I will persevere :)

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.’”

- Douglas Adams

Read the Xrtacrylic bottle. 'Thin with 10-15% with water if necessary'. OK then. A bit of water, 0.2mm nozzle, 10psi.

Get up close. Clog. Sputter.

Blow it out, 15psi... clog.

Clean airbrush (grrrrr) and replace nozzle guard with the 'wipe clean' one.

Clog, splutter.

A few choice words of Anglo-Saxon later:

40689122451_6a64cd354f_z.jpg

Better. Red. Good enough? Look at the Gnat:

38878488050_cda7789995_z.jpg

Before you say anything, yes it was mist coats. No I didn't over-thin the paint (I don't think). I've wiped it off and touch-sprayed those areas.

Coverage? Hmmm.

Sprays without clogging? Nope
The Hawk's looking OKish:

39978895584_c3cc7af918_z.jpg

... but only after making this mess cleaning out the airbrush:

38878644800_ab44046026_z.jpg

I'l try another coat later with the 0.4 needle.

I don't think Xtracrylics and I are going to be friends...

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Ok, that can happen , but one thing I don't understand: Why do you always try new colours? You were very happy with the colourcoats, I guess. So never change a running system. My acrylics stay in the same box since 1995 or so. and a Decocraft rattle can yellow from Aldi  went dircectly into the bin after my second attempt with it. It was rubbish. 3€ more and I have had  a good reliable one. So 4 € lost.  For me it's the same thing with several food products. I quitted trying new products, when I have one which I like very much  (e.g.: mustard, ketchup, majonese etc.)

Cheers and good luck.

• Like 5

Ced, there's some advice in this thread that seems directly applicable to your experiences. Lots of advice, actually, you could spend a lot of money and time trying it all. Or you could stick to what you know and like  :)

Personally, the xtracrylix looks too orange-yellow to me. I find painting red over an undercoat of a light rust brown tends to darken and enrich the final red, might be worth a test on a mule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Acrylics

S U C K !

Bottom line? That is the bottom line

If you want RED for Red Arrows the colour on Gnats was different to the colour on Hawks

After several false alarms I bought a rattle can of Tamiya Red for my Hawk

I tried Humbrol Arrows red, oft'times commended

It was vile and pinkish

My friend George who builds aerobatics teams almost professionally advises a Halford/Holts Ferrari Rosso red and the Aerobatic Display Team SIG 'Arrows' always look good

But as I said I used the Tamiya Rattler on mine, I was happy with the colour

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ok, that can happen , but one thing I don't understand: Why do you always try new colours? You were very happy with the colourcoats, I guess.

Thanks Benedikt :) I'm done with trying new paints now but in my defence I bought the 'special' colour some time ago when I bought the kits. This is also why I have a large number of Humbrol paints; when I started the hobby again I would buy the paint I needed according to the kit box. Goodness knows why I have so many pots I've never touched.

Thanks Chris, especially for the link. It's always nice to know you're not alone... Some of those posts are amazing eh? Almost like 'oh yeah, that always clogs unless you thin it and then it runs. I always use the fluid from the renal gland of the lesser spotted Aardvark, works a treat!' :D 

Ah, a missive from the great perdu...

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

Acrylics

S U C K !

... but they're not smelly! That said, neither are Colourcoats. I love them :inlove:

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

If you want RED for Red Arrows the colour on Gnats was different to the colour on Hawks

:lalala:

I now have a red, the Red Arrows red, that's red on the Red Arrows:

39795227315_4c5fabddff_z.jpg

That'll do me. It's not as orange / pink / yellow / grey* as it looks in the photo so it's getting a coat of Klear, and overnight dry and then transfers.

* delete according to your taste

Just had my dressing changed again. Sensitive readers should skip this bit. This goes something like:

Nurse: How's it been?

Me: Fine thanks, it's now just a bit sore but still waking me up if I roll over on it in the night. Other than that and some irritating itching, much better.

Nurse: (Thinks: We'll soon sort that out) I'll just rip the sticky dressing off your hair (RIP!)

Me: I'm quite happy if you cut that hair off you know, or shave it if you think it would help?

Nurse: (Thinks: Where's the fun in that?) No problem. I'll just remove the packing (RIP!). Sorry. Try breathing deeply. Right I'll just prod some packing in the wound (PROD PROD!) All done now, just the outer dressing to apply. Oh dear, this one isn't sticking, it's caught in your hair (RIP!). That one's better and here are some spares in case your wife wants some fun needs to change it.

Me: Can I keep the tools please? :weep:

Time for a lie down...

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Peugeot Cherry Red is touted as a match for a Red Arrows Gnat, Fiat Orange Red for the Red Arrows Red used on the Hawk. 

I tried to buy a Humbrol 19 rattle can for my Gnat but the man in the shop said that they'd had so many complaints about Humbrol aerosols they now refuse to sell them.

John.

• Thanks 1

Can't beat Tamiya for red, IMHO - and I mean the regular one from the pot, not even the rattle can kind, which I'm sure is better.

That said, I'm happy with my Lifecolor paints .... :whistle:  :D 

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Just had my dressing changed again. Sensitive readers should skip this bit. This goes something like:

Nurse: How's it been?

Me: Fine thanks, it's now just a bit sore but still waking me up if I roll over on it in the night. Other than that and some irritating itching, much better.

Nurse: (Thinks: We'll soon sort that out) I'll just rip the sticky dressing off your hair (RIP!)

Me: I'm quite happy if you cut that hair off you know, or shave it if you think it would help?

Nurse: (Thinks: Where's the fun in that?) No problem. I'll just remove the packing (RIP!). Sorry. Try breathing deeply. Right I'll just prod some packing in the wound (PROD PROD!) All done now, just the outer dressing to apply. Oh dear, this one isn't sticking, it's caught in your hair (RIP!). That one's better and here are some spares in case your wife wants some fun needs to change it.

Me: Can I keep the tools please? :weep:

Apologies Ced, I know you feel miserable, but this was funny to read nonetheless ...

Red Arrows red looks much better :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1