Red Arrows, Now and Then - Airfix Gnat and Hawk 1/72

CedB

I've been promising myself an easy build for a while now and although not 'my theme' (WWII Europe) I do stray occasionally for 'specials' and these two certainly count. They also look nice and easy.

142932-13652-64-pristine.jpg  943505-12623-93-pristine.jpg

(Images thanks to Scalemates.com)

Both Airfix so, of course, both have pilots and parts for the wheels up option.

No 3D printing.

No custom transfers.

No strange idents to mask.

Bliss - OOB build then.

I should have taken some sprue shots, sorry, but these aren't rare and I couldn't wait to get started:

25569508927_725df336eb_z.jpg

The mug looks as though it has 'tide marks' on it but that's crema from the coffee. Oh yes, I have a machine for that too!

Bits on sticks started and crew base coated:

26569713478_7173eb60eb_z.jpg

It's gonna be great!

Not Fritag great, obviously, just normal kit bashing great :)

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

The ability of you 'proper' modellers (as opposed to old fumble-fingers like myself) to work on such small models and still make such excellent results astounds me. I built the Gnat, what, 40 years ago? Ended up as a red blob... Best of luck, I look forward to this!

• Like 2

Welcome Simon, Stew, Roger, Stuart, Simon and massimo, great to have you along :)

6 hours ago, isaneng said:

The ability of you 'proper' modellers (as opposed to old fumble-fingers like myself) to work on such small models and still make such excellent results astounds me. I built the Gnat, what, 40 years ago? Ended up as a red blob... Best of luck, I look forward to this!

Too kind of you Sir... I'll have my share of fumbling I promise :)

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Well at least these two should be gloss before you decal them Ced....!! :D

Keith

Ah, well, we shall see Sir Keith! Have you seen the transfers on these? Great big things they are... plenty of opportunity for testing my decaling skills. Eeek. :)

5 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm really, really, really (help me say "really" :D ) looking forward to see if this build will actually be OOB ... :D

:popcorn::beer:

Ciao

Giorgio I shall attempt to rise to the challenge. It's looking promising so far... :)

3 hours ago, John_W said:

And they both are designed for wheels up, so no 3D printing or gallons of filler required...

I know! Great isn't it? :)

I've stuck more Gnat stuff on sticks:

26569713478_7173eb60eb_z.jpg

Black on the right, white (??) on the left. Aluminiumed the '11' bits and masked off, some bits glued for the wheel bays:

39547909815_7d0afef2d7_z.jpg

Ready for spraying:

38633732030_154afa4674_z.jpg

The Hawk got it's bit prepared and the guys got their red applied. Red Arrows red? Well, H19 which is pre-arrows Humbrol:

39548580725_52e1f358a1_z.jpg

Paint prepared. Grey, grey and, er, grey for the Hawk internals and Xtracolour 'Red Arrows' for the, er, red:

39736331404_2749043ae6_z.jpg

Of course I also have the black and white for the Gnat to hand too.

Simples :)

• Like 11

I didn’t even finish your last build yet so I’m headed back there first but I’ll tag along if that’s ok dear boy. By the way before I embarked on my holibobs I picked this up in town.

38632682000_bfb31a140a_b.jpg

I think I need an easy build next too. ;)

excuse the drift. Back to Ced. :penguin:

Johnny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Of course I also have the black and white for the Gnat to hand too.

I know the Gnat's an old jet, but I didn't realise it was from the days before the world turned from black & white to colour Ced...!! :whistle::D

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Paint prepared. Grey, grey and, er, grey for the Hawk internals and Xtracolour 'Red Arrows' for the, er, red:

Just a 'heads up' - don't try thinning that 'xtracolour' red with white spirit....!! :tease:

Keith

• Haha 5

Thanks Bill :)  OOB, repeat after me, OOB! No messing, I need a rest... oh but wait, why not use up some of those Humbrol acrylics (da da daaaaaah...)

Thanks Johnny - nice Gnat! I think you'll like it :)

Thanks Benedikt - great picture, now my desktop background :)

Thanks Keith - I know, easy peasy eh? Black and, er, WHITE! Need to make that harder on my self... :)

Paints:

26583032478_2b55c81e65_z.jpg

Yes, I'm going to use all acrylics (hide the white spirit!) and try the H34. Madness. Gloopy. Added some Humbrol acrylic thinners and mixed it up with Cookie's ThinnersTM then blasted it on. Yikes, wet! I finally used my MAC valve - it reduces the airflow not the pressure (huh?) - and moved back to get the paint to dry on the way to the plastic. Not too bad. Then VMA NATO black (trusty):

39744144224_b928eb82ce_z.jpg

39558514245_ed7fcd9b60_z.jpg

Not too bad. On to the Hawk. I'm going to use my old pot of Revell 76. Madness. Gloopy. Added some water and mixed it up with Cookie's ThinnersTM then blasted it on. Perfect!

40454533121_89d34c92d8_z.jpg

Tarting up the internals and glueing in my future.

OOB, OOB...

• Like 13

Do the instructions tell you to paint the Gnat 'pit white Ced? I don't know if the Sparrows jets were different to the run of the mill trainers, but every Gnat I've had chance to look inside has had a grey 'pit. 

Such as that of XR538 that pitched up at Odiham's families day last year (or maybe 2016, memory fail again!)

DSCF7322 - Copy

I know this might have been 'restored' at some point in its post-RAF life (it does have modern instrumentation added), but I don't see why they'd repaint the 'pit a totally different colour if it had been?

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes the Gnat I stood alongside in The Bull Ring at the RAF recruiting display back in the earlies was grey too, I was surprised because this was the first time I got next to a modern in service aeroplane

My little enquiring, modeller's mind expected black for some dumb reason

I was enchanted and went back to the display often, I mean, you could stand next too it and look in without a ladder

They really flew these things in displays? Wow

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

They really flew these things in displays? Wow

Did you not have chance to see them Bill? It was an absolutely brilliant display - no height restrictions back then either, Ray Hanna at 0 ft & 400 knts - spectacular! Really fortunate to have seen them a few times, happy days! :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

339479f1684ef8a0ab54907eb0db853f.jpg

The best Red Arrows scheme ever in my opinion.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Bill :)  OOB, repeat after me, OOB! No messing, I need a rest...

C'mon Ced, aint you working up a new fangled high-tech uber-technical way of reproducing the smoke trails...

PS I'm with Keith, always thought the Gnat interiors were grey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not going to enter into discussion of reds for the Reds, OK...

Oh yes I saw them many times, possibly the most exciting air display I ever saw was at Little Rissington when the Arrows shared the sky with the Rothman's Stampes amongst others

Those Stampes, how the merry hell did they do that?

Lomchevaks (sp?) Lomcovák Lomcevak whatever

I thought he (Lecomber maybe?) had broken it, unreal displays but as so often I digress

It is a faint, vague and unreliable memory but I seem to recall the Red's singleton climbing to runway level from down in the valley, can that be right?

Happy happy days

• Like 5