Japanese army airforce colours?

sapperastro

Hello all,

I am going to be doing an airfix Dinah shortly as a fun trip down memory lane. The callouts for the main scheme are Humbrols 195 dark green over 168 hemp. What would the colourcoats paints be to cover this aircraft? I confess the Japanese names have me a little confused.

Hi Greg,

To the best of my knowledge, the Dinah would be #7 Ohryoku nana go shoku on top and #1 Hairyokushoku underneath

So either ACJ22 over ACJ12 would work:

ACJ22rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1500131984

ACJ12_dda76755-89e5-44be-95ed-a0f2773788

Or, Nick Millman tells me that there was a bit of variance in #7 in practise although I won't pretend to know the whys or wherefors. A Nick-suggested alternative version of #7 is given as ACJ09:

ACJ09rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483884281

ACJ12_dda76755-89e5-44be-95ed-a0f2773788

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/04/ki-46-colours.html

• Thanks 1

Jamie, if I recall correctly the variance in #7 Ohryoku nana go shoku was similar to that of the USAAF's olive drab - it changed colour over time, becoming browner and less green (something to do with ultraviolet exposure?) so ACJ09 would likely be newer paint and ACJ22 a more weathered version (or by mixing the two in theory you could build a replica of an aircraft at a specific point in its service history :D). I imagine the Airfix call-out for Dark Green would refer to something similar to ACJ09.

ACJ12 Hai ryoku shoku for the undersides as you say... Sapperastro, if you will forgive me the indulgence, I used ACJ12 overall and ACJ22 on the topsides of the two Dinah's I built here

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 2

I wonder who did the research at airfix for this one? Normally they are nearish in colours, but for the 'new' release for the Dinah, 195 and 168 seem to be very different to these paints. I will just have to decide which top finish I want for Mr Dinah now (and hoe creative have it in stock...). Thanks again gents.

And Stew, great looking aircraft, both of them. And your conversion to the later model is superb. Who says old airfix kits are not worth buying?