The Russian Whitley model.

Neil.C

I've just taken on a USSR made Whitley model from a member here for not much more than the postage cost, happy days. The thing is I will need painting and decal info for it (it has none and no box) so it depends on what mark, model it is.

Is there any way I can discern what it is from what I have in parts on the sprue?

It has a very rudimentary instruction sheet that shows the choice of either an array of aerials along the rear fuselage spine or a single aerial.  The model is a little agricultural, shall we say but it looks like a fun build.

Any help? Is it like the version in the Frog thread?

Please let me know what I need to look for.

Here's a pic of one sprue.

More flash than model! :D

DSCN3016.jpg 

Edited by Neil.C
Updated title.

It does appear to be the Frog model and as such can be built as a Mk.V or a Mk.VII. The former is the bomber version, the latter the Coastal Command variant, fitted with Air to Surface Vessel radar and displaying the extra masts you spotted as well as other aerials.

John.

• Like 2

It could possibly be this one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/162781-korpak-010-whitley

Which is from a Frog boxing. The only Frog instruction sheet I can find doesn't have the info you need, but it does confirm the versions that @johnd mentioned:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/7/4/8/157748-51-instructions.pdf

I can only suggest doing a Google image search for either the Marks mentioned or for 'Korpak Whitley'.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Ah thanks @johnd, @Gorby et al, some great info.  Thanks to all.

What would I do without the constant help I receive here? 

Gorby, the Frog instruction sheet in your link is exactly the same as I have, except it is all in Russian!

johnd, thanks for the scans of your paperwork, most illuminating.

Choice of MKV bomber version or MKVII Coastal Command then, I guess it depends on what reasonably priced correct decals I can find.

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

There is nothing overly special about the markings; they can be put together from generic letter and roundel sheets.

Sometimes Frog Whitley decals come up on ebay for a couple of £

Then there is this Xtradecal sheet;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72231

another possibility is to beg spare decals from someone who has built the Airfix kit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

There is nothing overly special about the markings; they can be put together from generic letter and roundel sheets.

Sometimes Frog Whitley decals come up on ebay for a couple of £

Then there is this Xtradecal sheet;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72231

another possibility is to beg spare decals from someone who has built the Airfix kit

Cheers BK.

I'm not to proud to beg! 

It will be a while until I need the decals though as I have a lot of flash to trim!;)

The Russian inscription in painting schemes says:

1. Mk V, 77 Sq. RAF, France, March 1940

2. Mk VII, 502 Sq RAF, 1942, airfield Chevonor (?? - This is phonetic trasctiption back and for from Cyrylic)

3. Mk V 102 Sq RAF, 1941, airplane took part in bomb raids over Germany and Nothern Italy

If it helps...

If you want to use those decals apply thin layer of a varnish before applying - otherwise it is very likely that it will desintegrate to pieces in water...

J-W

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JWM said:

2. Mk VII, 502 Sq RAF, 1942, airfield Chevonor (?? - This is phonetic trasctiption back and for from Cyrylic)

RAF Chivenor in sunny Devon, handy for long, lonely patrols over the Western Approaches, now home to one of Her Majesty’s luxury holiday complexes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

RAF Chivenor in sunny Devon, handy for long, lonely patrols over the Western Approaches, now home to one of Her Majesty’s luxury holiday complexes.

A prison now 'eh?

I remember going to the Chivenor area on holiday in the early '70's when it was still an airfield. 

Internet been down for four days so naturally got stuck into the Russian Whitley.

Some of the parts were not much more than blobs and the rear gunners turret had the centre piece of perspex missing. No holes for the underslung wing aerials so I had to make the holes myself I bet they are in the wrong place. :huh: Lots of filler and plenty of flash to pare off too. 

With the aerials fitted it should be the MKVII version and I remembered the undersides and fuselage sides were matt white so I duly slapped on some forty year old Humbrol - it was very thin and looks awful! I'll have to put on another coat whilst looking for and printing off a paint diagram so I can get it somewhere near right.

Biggest model I have made for ages so a bit of fun and torture in equal doses.

Here's where I am so far....

DSCN3020.jpg

Edited by Neil.C
Pic added.
  • Like 1

It is always difficult to get good coverage with white (see also yellow!) so that isn't surprising at all.  Multiple thin coats are better than one single anyway.  Which is not to say that your old paint may not be less than ideal, but generally old Humbrol is pretty good if it hasn't gone hard.  The comments apply to every paint I've tried.

One more general comment I'd make is that you'll find canopy framing, undercarriage, wheels etc a lot easier to paint before attachment.

Lifted from elsewhere:10 Aug 1941 memo

All Coastal Command aircraft to have Temperate Sea Scheme (Dark Slate Grey & Extra Dark Sea Grey) on uppersurfaces
Wellington, Whitley and Liberator to have fuselage sides matt white and undersurfaces gloss white, de-icing equipment on leading edges to be in a flexible White paint and engine cowlings in White stove enamel.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Graham, interesting about the colours. Can't see either exact colour on my Humbrol sheet and prefer acrylics anyway to be honest.

Any idea on the best makes for acrylic Extra dark sea grey and Dark slate grey?

Humbrol; Extra Dark Sea Grey is number 123

Dark Slate Grey is number 224

Available in both enamel and acrylic

Be aware though that Dark Slate Grey is actually a dark grayish green

• Like 1

Thanks BK.

I've printed off a pic of the mkVII and parts of the upper surfaces did indeed look greenish.

Just have to buy those two colours as I have neither in my box.

In your position now, I'd mask off the clear parts, buy a rattle can of matt white, coat the whole thing and then paint over the upper surfaces with the Humbrol (or whatever you settle on). Acrylic is always better with an undercoat.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neil

PM sent reference to the 'original ' decals.

I'm not at home so cannot re-post the decal set I have to show others .

Perhaps you can ?

Got to say that it doesn't look to bad from the pic you posted . . . .

Ian

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Neil

Perhaps you can ?

Ian

Thanks Ian, PM'ed you.

Re the original decal set, I can't find the pics??

Instead of varnish, try this:

Micro_Decal_Film.jpg

Now, I don't know if it's available where you are, I suspect Hannants may be worth a try.

I would test an image I'm not going to use, if it shatters or has other issues, paint another image with the Super Decal Film and test that. All should be fine. You "paint" the rest of the sheet, let it sit for a few minutes (10 minutes, IIRC) then apply as normal. The only difference is, you don't want to cut right up to the image, leave a little around the edges, so you'll have some decal film to attach to the paintwork.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Neil

Perhaps you can ?

Ian

Just found the pic Ian.

Here it is....

26633149448_42d4e9ea1d_z.jpg

Edited by Neil.C
Added pic