Tornado wing hinge box fairings - flush with fuselage?

lesthegringo

I would like to know if the inner non moving part of the wing that covers the wing hinge box is flush with the upper fuselage surface, or whether it sticks up a bit further. All the photos I've looked at on the web are from too low an angle to show me the detail unfortunately. On the IDS I built last year I made a lot of effort to make then sit flush with the fuselage, but since then I've been wondering whether I got that worng

Cheers

Les

My initial reaction was that I thought they were slightly raised, but then I searched my Flickr account and now I'm not so sure:

31250961653_8e560e50c6_b.jpg2017-01-02-0003-3.jpg by Alistair Henderson, on Flickr

5718236160_861e9604ec_b.jpgZE983 by Alistair Henderson, on Flickr

6483578937_57a38fecbd_b.jpg4545 by Alistair Henderson, on Flickr

Al.

The dark green Luftwaffe example shows it meeting the top of the inlet box quite smoothly at the same level to my eye, its harder to see on the paler grey ones but I'd be happy to make it level based on the top photo.

Steve.

14 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Check out Aeroguide 24, I think it has some clear pix.

Easily done care of our good friends at the boxart den website -

Aeroguide #4

Aeroguide 21

Aeroguide #24

Hope this helps..

Cheers.. Dave

Looking through my pics It does look slightly raised compared to the fuselage structure.

Best way to see it is with the aircraft flying topside toward you in strong sun light, you can see the shadow cast by the structure on the furthest wing, and light on the edge of the nearest wing.

The hinge structure itself seems flush to the fuselage top (see Johns BAe pic above), so the structure above it would have to be proud to some extent.

I can't upload my pics at no, but there are some superb images online that illustrates this.

• Like 1

The top picture in post 10 clearly shows a step down from the wing fairing onto the fuselage behind the boundary layer bleed air outlet, and other photos before and after show how this step disappears before the trailing edge.

I must admit to lurking in this thread up until now: I recall such a step from my time at Warton but couldn't be certain that I wasn't being influenced by models.  I'm glad to see the justification.

• Like 1