Old KP 1/72 Spitfire LF.IXe

This is the old KP 1/72 Spitfire IXe. I have quite a few old kits which I'm not really too sure what to do with, what with all the new versions being released. This was considered one of the best Spitfires when it was first released, but of course there are a lot more to choose from nowadays. Eduards Spitfire IX's in particular are light years removed from this. So, this nearly went on ebay, but I thought what the heck, I'll make it.

KP Spitfire

To be honest this wasn't my finest hour. I tried to do a bit of a weathered old look, but I didn't really achieve what I'd set out too. Also, this was going to be a French Indo-China aircraft, but I realised the decals I had were for a C wing aircraft, and this was an E. So I learned a bit about Spitfire wings anyway. The kit decals were unusable but luckily I had these Czech ones in reserve. They weren't great, and I ruined the two underwing roundals. I also managed to do a rubbish job applying the codes and they do suffer from some silvering. Anyhow, I thought I would share a few pictures. 

20180222_210319

20180222_210539

20180222_210428

20180222_210302

20180222_210611_001

I tried some pre shading, which is ok on the underside, but I lost the effect on the topside by going over it too much trying to get the camo pattern right. I used Aeroclub metal wheels as the kit ones were quite poor, and a vac form canopy hood. I also cut and re positioned the elevators and rudder. Oh well, I guess I learned a few things along the way, so hopefully I will do a better job on my Eduard Spitfires. Hope you enjoy seeing a Spitfire in Czech markings, if nothing else.

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 19

I built one about 30plus years ago. It was well regarded at the time as being about the most accurate Nine around at the time, but was not the easiest build as I recall. You have done a very good job with it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, stevej60 said:

Great job,nice to see old kit's getting built rather than gathering dust on the shelf.

I agree.  I had one of these but sold it on eBay a few years ago, which I regret now.

You have done a nice job, and from where I'm sitting achieved your aims!

Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

Quite nice Spitfire, further enhance by these little details that add life (and bring joy to the hearts of Spitfire nerds), such as the offset control surfaces and the castoring tailwheel!

I agree that it's particularly uplifting to see an ancient kit built to good standards.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1