Filling unwanted rivets

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

Very soon I intend to start my Trump F-105 which, as many will know, has a horrible scattering of rivet marks. I'd like to fill these. So what is best to use? Mr Surfacer? Standard prime Rib? I am an enamel user. As I see  it I could paint the rows of rivet marks without touching the panel lines and then sand and polish. Would that work?

thanks for your thoughts.

Martin

The rivets on the Trumpeter Thud are quite deep, I don't think that painting them and sanding will be enough, better go for something like Mr.Surfacer.

You may also try typewriter corrector fluid, I actually use this quite a lot to fill shallow imperfections and works well. My favourite is the one coming in pen applicators, easy to control, dries quickly enough and sands very well.

Martin,

These ones

I bought mine from Valiant Wings Publishing at the IPMS Farnborough Show, they work with some fillers like Mr Surfacer and Vallejo for instance

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

On 23 February 2018 at 8:47 AM, Giorgio N said:

The rivets on the Trumpeter Thud are quite deep, I don't think that painting them and sanding will be enough, better go for something like Mr.Surfacer.

You may also try typewriter corrector fluid, I actually use this quite a lot to fill shallow imperfections and works well. My favourite is the one coming in pen applicators, easy to control, dries quickly enough and sands very well.

Hi Giorgio!

I see you've built one! 

I'll be asking you a few questions when I start my build :)

Martin

• Like 1

Yes, I did build one 3 years ago for the Vietnam GB, as too often happens it was not completed in time but I had the model painted an half decaled. Feel free to ask questions on the build ! I remember this to have been quite a frustrating build from several points of view. It was one of Trumpeter's early kits and while some areas were very good, others were disappointing

Thanks Giorgio. It doesn't sound encouraging :(. I will be building two, I think. One is SEA era - "Mr Toad/Marilee E" and the other will be an earlier machine from the 563rd TFS... I'll be in touch foe sure. Meanwhile I have to finish the Mongol!

All the best,

Martin