Model shops in Hong Kong and Taipei?

DaveJL

I went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago and stayed at the Dorsett Mongkok Hotel, there is a street about 5 minutes walk from there (I'll find the details tomorrow) and it has seven; yes, seven model shops in it and it is only 200 metres long!

Have a search on UML (Universal Model Ltd) they have a shop in central HK,  plus there are two more good hobby shops, both by the same name 'Waile Model Centre.  One is at 221 Wanchai Road, the other over on the Kowloon side at 315 Sha Tsui Rd, Tsuen Wan.

HTH

Mike

Continental Models , 345 Nathan Rd Mongkok just behind the Wing On Shopping Centre. Open from 1200 and a fantastic range of kits.  Also Wang Ke Models on Waterloo Rd (short walk from Continental Models) UML I would not bother with unless you want Dragon kits (very cheap) other ranges are much more expensive.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate, i'll be sure to try there!

You're welcome, the only problem with shopping for models in Hong Kong is deciding what NOT to buy as the choice can be overwhelming. I'll (hopefully) be back there at some point before June and I'll get some pics and proper addresses for the shops as I navigate there by memory but apart from Continental and Wang Ke I can never remember the addresses.   

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Thanks for the link Stephen! I'll go to your recommendations!

16 hours ago, Antoine said:

Where will you go in Taipei?

I'm staying close to Taipei 101 so i'm sure i'll find plenty to do/see!

In Taipei, back in 2014, there were three main Hobby Shops. In fact I found three when I arrived in 2010, and my Taiwanese friends told me the same (but there must be a few more selling gundam and the likes).

I believe they're all still around, hopefully at the same address.

Those three are:

Ji shin (or Jixing)

AFV

MPK

All three are not really near 101, especially MPK, so you'll have to use MRT, bus or taxi.

To Jishin, MRT is the best, as there's a station nearby, Longshan temple (Dragon mountain temple) IIRC.

For the other two, you can setup your trip by bus using googlemap, this works well.

There's a usefull pass that makes the bus and MRT easy, you can get it at any MRT station. Got to remember the name.

You can even use it as a credit card with 7/eleven and the likes.

But taxi is also very cheap, you can indicate the nearest big crossroad to the driver, or the full address.

FYI, I believe that about one taxi driver out of one hundred speak english. Also, do not forget to keep your hotel card with you for the return trip.

taipei11.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

- Ji shin

The smallest, but maybe the warmest shop of the three. Laoban is an ex ROCAF mechanic who used to work on F-86 at Hsinchu (I believe). Doesn't speak english, but most friendly (Taiwanese are, really). His son does. Here you can meet the cream of Taiwan modellers community. Here also, you can order every Hasegawa kit, as long as it's  not OOP... for about half the European price. And you'll get it in... three days!

taipei13.jpg

- MPK

Biggest of the three

taipei12.jpg

- And AFV

taipei10.jpg

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

2 more Q.s about Taipei:

- Are there any serious aircraft-related shops in the Ximending's Wan Nian building or in the shopping mall under(?) the main station?

- Is there any aircraft stuff in the AFV shop?

TIA

• 1 month later...

I was model shopping in Hong Kong today so I took the opportunity to take some pics of what the shops look like from the outside.

Continental Models  Shop G14 Wing On Kowloon Centre 345 Nathan Road

20180421_140721

Wang Kee Models 35A Waterloo Rd (Short walk from Continental Models)

20180421_144828

RX88 Hobby 18 Nelson St Kowloon (10min walk from the other two shops)

external entrance

20180421_154119

Down the steps and straight to the end of the passageway

20180421_154156

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found Continental models when we passed through HK 3 1/2 years ago, I just wished I'd been heading home instead of to the UK & I'd have loaded up a bit, amazing selection of stuff in there including a huge range of Microscale decals. I never found RX88 & looking at the entrance I can understand why, next time. :)

Steve.

On 21/04/2018 at 1:45 PM, Stephen said:

I was model shopping in Hong Kong today so I took the opportunity to take some pics of what the shops look like from the outside.

Continental Models  Shop G14 Wing On Kowloon Centre 345 Nathan Road

20180421_140721

Wang Kee Models 35A Waterloo Rd (Short walk from Continental Models)

20180421_144828

RX88 Hobby 18 Nelson St Kowloon (10min walk from the other two shops)

external entrance

20180421_154119

Down the steps and straight to the end of the passageway

20180421_154156

Thanks Stephen. Which one would you say would be the best for the likes of GWH, Hasegawa etc?

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Continental would be best for GWH ,Wang Kee would be best for Tamiya and Hasegawa. RX88 for Kinetic. Visit all three though, they're no more than 15mins walking distance from each other.

Great thanks. I'll be sure to fit them into my schedule!

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Jabba said:

I will be staying in a hotel in Kowloon, and would like to know how easy it would be to get to these shops?

It was very easy mate, I just used maps on my phone and found them without any trouble. RX88 was the trickiest to find as the passageway that it's located within is being refurbished so it almost looks like the steps leading down to it are closed! All 3 are very good but Continental Models (it's at the bottom right of the Kowloon Centre as you're walking along Nathan Road, don't actually go into the centre itself, it's on the street alongside it) is literally stacked floor to ceiling with kits.

Next time I'm in Hong Kong I'll be taking an empty suitcase!

• Like 1