Tamiya 1/32 F-16C 555FS "Triple Nickel"

Alan P

Hot on the heels of the last brace of F-16s comes another commission build - this time using the much-vaunted Tamiya 1/32 kit. 

tn_IMAG1562

So here's the kit, Aires jetpipe/nozzle and wheelwell sets and the Big Ed. Also along for the fun is the Astra Decals Aviano set for the Commander's aircraft circa 2003-4 which will be the subject of the build.

The subject aircraft is a Block 40 F-16CG rather than the CJ in the box, but as far as I can see around this time the only difference would be the WAR (Wide Angle Raster) HUD and the stiffener plates on the spine area. The HUD will be provided from the Academy kit, and the plates courtesy of AstraDecals yet again.

You'll be amazed to hear I've never made this kit before, so this should be fun! I've heard so many good things about it. It will be "all hanging out" - radar, gun bay and engine will all be on display. Should make for an eye-catching model!

Feel free to follow and comment, I'd be very grateful for your company!

All the best,

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 2

Made a flying start on this. I'm not one for hype but I have to say this kit really does live up to it. 

The build has you start with the separate engine and trolley. I suspect this is like a starter or appetiser in a great restaurant - to whet your appetite for the really good stuff to come!

The parts are beautifully moulded and fit together so finely that sometimes it's hard to find the seam when you come to apply the liquid cement.

IMAG1563

Here's the engine trolley finished in WEM Dark Green and Gunze Mr Metal Color Stainless. It fits together so snugly you almost don't need glue.

IMAG1564

IMAG1565

It's a mini-masterpiece which made me inexplicably happy to build!

It's designed to hold the separate GE F110 engine which is simply amazing.

IMAG1566

This made up of no less than eight parts and I defy you to find the joins. No putty used anywhere on this.

IMAG1568

There are a bunch of small accessories that fit to the main engine casing. I primed in Mr Surfacer 1200 ready for the metallic coat.

IMAG1567

I painted some parts in a combination of grey primer and black acrylic. I sprayed over the ensemble with Alclad Honey Primer which enables the metallic colours to reflect the colour underneath in one uniform coat. It's a lot easier than respraying in different metallic colours. We'll see how that turns out when I spray on the metalisers tomorrow! 

I also got started on the intake and wheelwells - I'm going to mount the engine separately but use the Aires nozzle to display the aircraft as a complete airframe with its engine in situ. The wheelwells are also Aires but it's a DIY fit for the interior.

More soon! This has "great build" written all over it thanks to the confidence I have in the quality of the kit.

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, adamg1987 said:

Always fancied this kit, 1.32 is a monster though. If I built one I’d have no where to keep it! 

Funny, it all depends what you're used to. I like these because they're quite petite in 1/32 :lol:

• 1 month later...

I'm just starting out in modelling (properly) and I see things like this and wonder if I'll ever have the skill level. I've got a Tamiya Vosper Perkasa MTB to build which I'm doing for a personal reason. These build pictures really help - thanks for posting....How is the build going Alan?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 2:13 PM, StewartA said:

I'm just starting out in modelling (properly) and I see things like this and wonder if I'll ever have the skill level. I've got a Tamiya Vosper Perkasa MTB to build which I'm doing for a personal reason. These build pictures really help - thanks for posting....How is the build going Alan?

Hi Stewart, we all started at that level, it's just a matter of learning and testing out techniques, getting used to your most comfortable scale or subject and having a reliable set of tools, glues and paints that you're familiar with using. After that, you're well on your way to modelling greatness! 

Thanks for asking after the build, I've actually finished it now after not taking any more pictures 😔 I'll add the finished ones when I get to a proper computer. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Timelapse to the end - it wasn't really much of a build log in the end. My apologies!

tn_IMAG1667

Finished build photos are HERE

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

That was fast! :D Turned out looking awesome! :)

Wanna build one of those kits someday, but "stuck" with Revell for now! :)

Håkan