Pe-2 UBT Guns (648372) 1:48

Pe-2 UBT Guns (648372)

1:48 Eduard Brassin

boxtop.jpg

We reviewed Eduard's reboxing of the Zvezda Pe.2 multi-role aircraft in January of this year here, and this set provides a detail improvement to the rear gunner's turret that sits prominently at the aft end of the canopy and in the belly of the beast pointing rearwards.  As usual with Eduard's resin sets, they arrive in the familiar Brassin clamshell box, with the resin parts safely cocooned on dark grey foam inserts, and the instructions sandwiched between the two halves, doubling as the header card.

648372.jpg

This isn't just a barrel set, but includes the mounting and ammo storage as well, replacing the whole assembly that slots into the turret before closure, and depicting the complex mount and ammo feed from the big box mag that rests above it for the belly gun.  There are many resin and Photo-Etch (PE) parts included, and some of them are quite fine, so careful handling is a must.  The turret gun retains just the gun mount frame, which is adjusted to fit a more realistic attachment for the gun, and the belly gun uses the kit ammo box as the meat between the PE sandwich to give it improved detail, with both receiving a new resin "dump bag" for the spent brass cartridges from their respective weapons.

Overall a substantial improvement in finesse and detail over the kit assemblies.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

From the title I thought it was just going to be the guns themselves, but you seem to get quite a lot in this set. Quite temping, even for a resinphobe like myself.

Eduard resin has really sensible placement of casting blocks, and clean-up is minimal.  If you wanted to break your duck, these would do as long as you don't have sausage fingers like me :)

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

as long as you don't have sausage fingers like me

I do.

I chose 1/48 to model because I thought the parts wouldn't be as small as 1/72, and then I opt to use smaller and smaller parts - where is the sense?