Best Chinook to use 1/48

lowlevelraf

Hi All,

Quick question for you..

I have the Revell Chinook HC1 04641 kit in 1/48, managed to get it off eBay last year, with the view to try do a updated HC4/6.

However, with the new Italeri Chinook HC2 1/48 coming out, which kit would be better? Keep with the older Revell example or sell that and invest in the newer Italeri kit? Sadly, I don't have space to have both. However, atleast with the newer kit, it has the new decals.

I know there is not huge amount of difference externally between the HC2A/HC4/HC6/6A etc, aerials and the pitot tube layout. Mainly internal with the cockpit new displays and forward crewman work station.

Thanks for any advice :)

Matt

Personally I would get the newer Italeri kit as there are many external differences between the HC Mk1 and HC Mk2, on which the HC Mk4/6 is based on. At work at the moment but could explain a bit better later if nobody else has jumped in.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Jabba, I am leaning towards the newer kit! Aha they maybe a HC1 appearing in the Sell section at this rate!

I know HC2 to 4, aerial on the pitot were removed, so just a pitot. Then HC4/HC6 to the HC6, the Starboard pitot is double ended. Port pitot still just one.

I am not sure about the differences between HC Mk2sand the follow ons as I stopped working on Chinooks in 2005. The main reason I would go with the newer kit is there are many external differences between the 1 and 2s in that the main one is the leading edge of the rear pylon. On the Mk 1s it is solid whilst on the 2s there is a cut out for the Comb XMSN cooler. There are also various panel differences on the Fwd Pylon, but also I think that the defence suite on the Mk1 is very different to the Mk2s which hopefully Italeri have got right. Hope that this is of some help.

Of course it is worth pointing out that the plastic of the two kits is the same. In the HC2 boxing Italeri have added two sprues of antennas that go a long way towards updating the kit, but they did not change the cockpit interior and it is still analogue whereas for the Foxtrot and to my understanding the HC2A/4/6/6A have a glass cockpit. Unless Eduard or somebody does a correction its still a C on the inside with some D attributes (blades and intake filters) and a sprue full of updated antennas masquerading as an F.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:39 AM, Biggles81 said:

Of course it is worth pointing out that the plastic of the two kits is the same. In the HC2 boxing Italeri have added two sprues of antennas that go a long way towards updating the kit, but they did not change the cockpit interior and it is still analogue whereas for the Foxtrot and to my understanding the HC2A/4/6/6A have a glass cockpit. Unless Eduard or somebody does a correction its still a C on the inside with some D attributes (blades and intake filters) and a sprue full of updated antennas masquerading as an F.

HC2As were not glass cockpits.

Picked up the kit yesterday, and with a quick look at the instructions it has the Chaff/Flare dispensers on the fuselage side pointing to the rear when they should face forwards. It is just a case of swapping the units across the fuselage.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Can I catch on here to ask for help?

Making a Chinook HC2 Italeri 1/48 kit No.  2779

Trying to find best match for main fuselage colour of RAF Chinook in Afghanistan

Italeri kit says Flat Euro Dark Green, Italeri Acrylic 4729AP, FS34092

What spray acrylic would be nearest?