Do we officially hate clear windows?

armored76

Hi,

I must admit I'm new to the airliner branch of the modelling "business" so, I started wondering why most models are shown with decals replicating windows. I realize older models come with no transparencies so there is no alternative to this but even newer kits have in many cases their windows filled and decaled over. Is the missing interior the only reason? Is painting the interior black and maybe inserting a piece of card behind the cabin not an acceptable solution?

To me personally, the decals look unrealistic so, I'm planning to use the clear parts and probably paint their back/inner side black. Would that work or am I missing the obvious here?

Many :thanks: in advance! 

Cristian

On a personal note Cristian I prefer to decal most 1/144th windows due to the small scale , but also I like to get a nice finish to the windscreen area. I have said before on here that if the cockpit glazing looks off then for me it can kill the whole effect. Personal choice though should always apply I think. 

• Like 1

I have a preference for decals BUT there are decal cabin windows that do not fit the kit windows if they are not filled and sanded down well. And kit moulded 'open windows' are sometimes not right as I have found out as the pitch of them vary so much. Airlines have their window arrangements to suit so careful checking of references needed. 

• Like 2

I agree with all of it, i dislike the incorrect shape of those airliners windows...

I am going to try the Authentic Airliners windows soon, these look pretty neat !

The cockpit windows from them are not al perfect in a sence that the cockpit crew is printed as well on some these which make it look that there are four of them in it!!

But hey you have to make some compromises sometimes!!

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

One other thing is that in real life the windows are unpainted for about an inch or 25mm around the window, leaving a natural metal strip, this is to stop the paint peeling away, this was found out a long time ago, and some have the silver outlines as separate parts, to add for those who do want clear windows, but and it's a big but they take an age to get lined up properly on most I've ever tried it on, so to speed up builds I just use window decals, much quicker and more of an even look.

• Like 2

It's mainly a matter of personal taste although there are some situations (e.g. resin kits) where you have to use decals.  There are also situations where decals are simply much easier, for example changing the door/window layout on a Boeing 767-300!  At the end of the day, however, it's your model and you should finish it as you see fit.

Window decals have improved enormously in the last few years mainly thanks to Werner Lehmann of Authentic Airliners and his "photo real" concept. Some other manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon, notably PAS and 8A.  However there are still gaps in the market where you have to make do with plain grey or black windows, particularly some classic propliners.  With the necessary skill and knowledge it is possible to make your own window decals. Britmodeller member Malair is one of the main exponents of this - have a look here.

Done well clear windows can look superb particularly if they are accompanied by a detailed cockpit interior.  If you haven't seen it yet take a look at Viking's Lufthansa Boeing 737-100 in the Boeing 737 STGB.  However not all of us build to that standard and in my own case it comes down to what is easiest and decals win every time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

It's mainly a matter of personal taste although there are some situations (e.g. resin kits) where you have to use decals.  There are also situations where decals are simply much easier, for example changing the door/window layout on a Boeing 767-300!  At the end of the day, however, it's your model and you should finish it as you see fit.

Totally agree with David on this point and would add that the decal option saves the need for masking off dozens of cabin windows. A process I've never successfully achieved.

Chris.

• Like 1

I was a firm supporter of "holes in fuselages" for my airliners. But considering most manufacturers actually do produce "holes in fuselages" and care not at all for correct placement, correct number, correct size I really can't be bothered with even trying to keep them now. Flight deck windshields are an area where I will try to maintain the clear glass look, but yet again most manufacturers give approximate shapes that don't fit too well so I'm increasingly moving towards decals for them. I'm using Authentic Airliners, 8a and PAS photoreal decals for my models.

Over the past few days I've looked at new airliner models that quite honestly leave me totally baffled as to what their makers were thinking. I've noted some issues here and elsewhere and have begun to get the feeling that they think with the "niche" airliner modellers anything will do and don't worry too much with accuracy.

I still have my finger hovering over the "buy now" button for the Combat Kits 1/72 BAe 146, but I can't stop looking at the clear piece that's meant to be the flight deck. Honestly, did any one even bother to look at the shape of the actual windows? What's been moulded is a joke.

Jeff 

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2