D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

{edit 30 Oct 2018}

Build dates

D Day                                          Thu, 6 Jun 2019                       Sun, 29 Sep 2019

{/edit}

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but 2019 will be the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the Normandy landings.

Operation Overlord was the codename for the Battle of Normandy, the Allied operation that launched the successful invasion of German-occupied Western Europe during World War II. The operation was launched on 6 June 1944 with the Normandy landings (Operation Neptune, commonly known as D-Day). A 1,200-plane airborne assault preceded an amphibious assault involving more than 5,000 vessels. Nearly 160,000 troops crossed the English Channel on 6 June, and more than two million Allied troops were in France by the end of August.

German forces retreated across the Seine on 30 August 1944, marking the close of Operation Overlord.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Overlord

{edit}

Note  23 Feb 2018:

The period covered by this GB is open to discussion

The period covered: 5th June - 30th August

Operation Overlord (6th June - 30th August),

plus Airbourne Operations (Operation Tonga?) between 5th and 7th June https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tonga

{/edit}

What do you think guys?

Interested Modellers:

1. Robert Stuart - host
  2. Sabre_days
  3. zebra
  4. TempestMk5
  5. PlaStix
  6. SimonT
  7. Corsairfoxuncle
  8. MarkSH
  9. Arniec
  10. Shatters
  11. Beard
  12. bootneck
  13. SleeperService
  14. CliffB
  15. fatfingers
  16. spaddad
  17. Grey Beema
  18. Ozzy
  19. JackG
  20. Ted
  21. Valkyrie
  22. Basilisk
  23. modelling minion
  24. Hewy
  25. Big X
  26. Wez
  27. RJ-WobblyHands
  28. DaveyGair
  29. trickyrich - co-host
  30. Erwin
  31. jrix
  32. uncletommy
  33. wimbledon99
  34. Jockney
  35. Greg Destec
  36. Rafwaffe
  37. badger
  38. bull-nut
  39. Muddyf
  40. bigfoot
  41. Foxbat
  42. Paul821
  43. gingerbob
  44. philp
  45. stevej60
  46. Andrés S
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Great idea, please count me in!

6 hours ago, zebra said:

I’m in. I’m sure I’ll find something in the stash to paint some black and white stripes on!

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Yes it is a great idea Please Count me in too  ..

Patrice

Welcome guys, welcome.

• Like 2

Please sign me up.

For any newer members the 70th Anniversary GB, from 4 years ago, can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/474-d-day-70th-anniversary-group-build/

It was an absolutely brilliant GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Please sign me up.

For any newer members the 70th Anniversary GB, from 4 years ago, can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/474-d-day-70th-anniversary-group-build/

It was an absolutely brilliant GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

You are welcome Stix, and thanks for the heads up about the 70th anniversary build.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Arniec said:

I am in as well. 

Cheers,

Good :) , you are very welcome

11 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I think that such an important event should not have to pass the vote like any other ''ordinary'' Gb and that it should be ''qualified'' automatically ..

Patrice  

I agree that this is an important build, but giving it a pass will be up to @Mike, and @Enzo Matrix.

If the range period of this will cover the whole of Overlord, i.e. up until completion in August 1944 then I might just join.  I have a Mulberry Harbour that needs an excuse to be built.  I enrolled in the 2014 GB and really enjoyed that.

Mike

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bootneck said:

If the range period of this will cover the whole of Overlord, i.e. up until completion in August 1944 then I might just join.  I have a Mulberry Harbour that needs an excuse to be built.  I enrolled in the 2014 GB and really enjoyed that.

Mike

Welcome Mike, I like the Landing Ship that you built in the 2014 GB, a lovely scratch build.

If you can make a Mulberry Harbour, that would be most welcome - I believe my grandfather had a hand in the drawings for those structures, and I'd love to see them represented here.

On dates

The dates I've suggested for this GB are 6th June to 30th August, which covers the whole of Operation Overlord.

The 2014 build covered 1st June to 20th August.  I don't know what was especially significant about June 1st, though August 20th marked the close of the Falaise pocket.

p.s. OT, what was the outcome here?

P1130846_resized_1000_wide.jpg

6 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

On dates

The dates I've suggested for this GB are 6th June to 30th August, which covers the whole of Operation Overlord.

Could it not include 5th June to cover the airborne operations?

Phil

Edited by shatters
  • Like 2