csm lanchester armoured car 1:35

tone

Although this kit by copper state models in 1:35 has rightly received overall excellent reviews,

I think some reviewers have rose-tinted spectacles on!,

Although presentation & quality is 1st class some errors have been made:-

1)External colour guides are not keyed to any manufacturers paint ranges

2)no mention is made of the colours that the chassis and some other parts are to be painted

3)no clear plastic is provided for the headlights

4)The turret top hatch is moulded closed(so no crew members then?)

no PE is supplied BUT CSM are to release 1 set for the spoked wheels & 1 for other details.

close but no cigar!

cheers 

TONY:wink:

In general I applaud the idea of having "upgrade sets" such as the etched spoke wheels (+ other parts?) sold separately.  Not everyone wants them and multi-media kits are getting very expensive.

But the quid pro quo has to be reasonably priced base kits.  Which this CSM offering isn't.  I did see one advert for £35 but it was out of stock in minutes.  £50 or so seems to be the trend.  I thought many times about getting the Armo resin Lanchester (now OOP), notwithstanding that it was the Russian version with the cupola.  That was £55, probably superior (if harder to work with), and included the etched parts.

It's a relatively straightforward kit with a low parts count by current standards and apparently average detail quality, like the solid hatch with no hinge rivets.  £35 feels more like the right price than £50, thinking of other armoured car kits.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:48 PM, Das Abteilung said:

In general I applaud the idea of having "upgrade sets" such as the etched spoke wheels (+ other parts?) sold separately.  Not everyone wants them and multi-media kits are getting very expensive.

But the quid pro quo has to be reasonably priced base kits.  Which this CSM offering isn't.  I did see one advert for £35 but it was out of stock in minutes.  £50 or so seems to be the trend.  I thought many times about getting the Armo resin Lanchester (now OOP), notwithstanding that it was the Russian version with the cupola.  That was £55, probably superior (if harder to work with), and included the etched parts.

It's a relatively straightforward kit with a low parts count by current standards and apparently average detail quality, like the solid hatch with no hinge rivets.  £35 feels more like the right price than £50, thinking of other armoured car kits.

The price from CSM is Euro 44.77, or around £40.

Interesting .

paint not keyed to any paint manufactures ...do we really need this ...

again do we need to work out what colour the chassis was painted...five mins on Google 

no clear parts ..given the pleather of information and what is needed ...is this a massive fault ...

so no hatch open ..tricky are we not modellers .

photo etch update ....like no one else ever does This 

• 1 month later...

I got the kit today. The price here in Germany was 39 Euros - and the injection molded wheels do not look too bad.

Michael

Edited by Duckwizard
sig added

• 2 weeks later...

I have built the kit and was very pleased with the outcome. The mouldings are very good, also the presentation, i.e. boxing and instruction booklet are nice too 😊 ( I do love a nice bit of packaging of a Wednesday afternoon) The wheels look ok for the scale, as for the headlamps I used liquid glass (or whatever it's called?) to good effect. Hatches not opening were not an issue for me, perhaps I am just too easy to please? Regards price, I paid under £40. 

• Like 1