Best Soviet T-62 in Braille scale

KRK4m

In January the new tool (some 49 parts) T-62 MBT by Trumpeter (#07146) has appeared on the market.

Presumably it's miles ahead of the vintage ESCI/Italeri one and the crude ACE short-run.

But has anybody of you already touched it in the reality? What is your opinion?

Can we call it THE definitive one or should we wait for the Modelcollect #72021 new tool announced at the end of 2017?

Cheers

Michael

The ESCI was not too bad... except for the one-piece wheels, which sadly was not uncommon in a number of ESCI post-war kits. Nothing great, mind you, but ruined by that one issue.

Trumpeter's tank kits are not too shabby in general (some are downright excellent) and I would except any new tool to be of the highest quality barring some possible accuracy issues.

The old ESCI kit, regrettably, is not a contender. It was (or is) irreparably incorrect in pretty much everything. So better leave it as a not so sweet memory.

ACE kit at least looks like a T-62, although has a number of inaccuracies as well. And it is not easy to build and very hard to find.

The new Trumpy kit is a bit of an enigma. So far I have seen only some images of the kit and would abstain from making evaluations just from what is on the screen, but I am surely not a fan of their new approach to the tracks. Here's some more images, in case yo have not seen them somewhere else http://smallafv.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/blog-post_3.html

If Model Collect presses on with their T-62, I would more likely go with that kit. 

So what are the inaccuracies in ACE T-62? I have a couple in stash and they sure look rough, though I do like ACE kits in general. But I would not mind a more buildable kit.

So far, Trumpeter 1/72 armor has been very disappointing for me. Their BTR-80 bottom side, including wheels, is just awful, barely resembling the real BTR-80. 2K12 Kub is a bit too simplified with almost everything molded on to the hull, and has way too undersized ramjet engines for the missiles and missing inner track teeth. I hear their 1/35 armor is pretty good, but the same can't be said for 1/72. I definitely want to read some positive reviews of the T-62 before buying it.

3 hours ago, Apex said:

So what are the inaccuracies in ACE T-62? I have a couple in stash and they sure look rough, though I do like ACE kits in general. But I would not mind a more buildable kit.

So far, Trumpeter 1/72 armor has been very disappointing for me. Their BTR-80 bottom side, including wheels, is just awful, barely resembling the real BTR-80. 2K12 Kub is a bit too simplified with almost everything molded on to the hull, and has way too undersized ramjet engines for the missiles and missing inner track teeth. I hear their 1/35 armor is pretty good, but the same can't be said for 1/72. I definitely want to read some positive reviews of the T-62 before buying it.

Well after readin your post I only can agree with that Ace kits have the tendency to be difficult to build anyway same pinion of Military wheels kits

One more question do you really at Antartica???

Edited by RAGATIGER
misspelled words

4 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

One more question do you really at Antartica???

Umm, no I am not, way too few hobby shops out there!

1 hour ago, Apex said:

So what are the inaccuracies in ACE T-62?

ACE basically produced a generic image of a T-62 without paying attention to difference between the versions. So depending, on what version you would like to build, different modifications are to be made. Attention needed in the engine deck area, mud guards/fenders and stores on them. The turrets on early/late versions were slightly different as well.

The shape of the turret also is a bit off (frankly, the shape of the real thing is very complex so hard to blame there). There might be something else in terms of bugs, but still even with those imperfections, the ACE kit is the best bet on getting a relatively convincing t-62.

BTW - the Trumpy's 1/35 T-62 is  bit of a disaster accuracy wise, so if the 72 kit is a shrunk copy of the same 3d, it will have the same issues. If true, and coupled with the awful tracks, the hole package is a bit of "miss" for me personally... 

• Thanks 1

There isn't one that's worth talking about.....Yet.  :fraidnot:

Trumpeter have one coming out soon, but it's not terribly good:

07146-2.jpg

To put it mildly!  :doh:

But it is still better than the old ESCI thing.  :whistle:

However Modelcollect will be releasing one too.....I expect it to be nothing less than superb.  :yahoo:

In other words, wait just a while.....I am.  :coolio:

Here's what I picked from a few different forums regarding the new Trumpeter's T-62:

- the turret is a shrunk copy of their 1/35 attempt and hence grossly incorrect. Major correction required

- good news: the body is dimensionally correct, but the engine deck is oversized and is incorrect.

-  bad news - the body inherited incorrect shape of the rear part of the 1/35 kit.

- the under turret cheeks are just vertical walls, and should be "bowl" shape. Correcting it would be very hard. 

- the position of the axels is incorrect (they are too low and their spacing is also wrong)

- not that it is unexpected - the tracks lack the inner surfaces details.

I am afraid this one is a dud for me. If it was a 4-5 GBP I could consider playing with it or using it for spare parts, but at the current retail....

Edited by BallsBuster

Bad news... So there are still some holidays for my wallet until the Modelcollect one appears :)

By the way - is the 1/72 Trumpeter T-54/55 also full of errors? Do you rate the Revell one higher?

Cheers

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Trumpeter T 62 is not all bad, and for the moment it is the only starting point, Will Modelcollect ever release their T 62?? I have had one on pre order for two years now! The tracks and wheels can be replaced by either Tankograd or OKB wheels and tracks, and Tankograd also do turret and BDD conversions.

steer clear of the Revell T 55! It is a mess, far worse than the trumpeter T 62, the only nice thing about it is the wheels, Trumpeters T 54/55 fair little better, here is a link to a review. http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Trumpeter/T-54_T-55prev.htm

the Ace T 62 was and still is the best starting point, but hard to get hold of http://www.onthewaymodels.com/gallery9/SBarnesT-62.htm

oddly the best T 55 is still the Hobby Master ready made version, although that to has some problems, but not as many.

The T-55 situation has been a source of much woe, I've got four or five of them (I forget), none of which make a truly accurate replica of any version without significant investment in aftermarket bits.....I'm making the best of a bad job with the Trumpeter kit and building it as a T-55 Enigma (I'll be rescribing the engine deck, but that's about it) and I may do another as a T-54A if I can get hold of the Black Dog conversion. 

The Revell kits I suspect will be built OOTB, they're beyond fixing based on what I've read, so I'll be hoping the 'Looks Like A Duck' philosophy applies to T-55s too.  :rolleyes: