RAF Dk.Green camouflage color

ianpolinar

On 2/20/2018 at 12:18 PM, ianpolinar said:

Hi folks. Just bought, from Brengun Kits, the "Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b car-door early" 1/72 kit

Having built two of these, watch out with the clear parts -- the canopy doesn't fit well, as it has a flat underside that doesn't conform to the curve of the fuselage.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Those are the standard red line, I meant they need to do the blue ones single

I've contacted emodels and asked if they plan to do the Blue Line paints individually. Watch this space!

John.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, johnd said:

I've contacted emodels and asked if they plan to do the Blue Line paints individually. Watch this space!

John.

38 minutes ago, johnd said:

John.

Would be nice, but it’s Hataka themselves who as yet don’t offer the blue singly, one certainly can hope though 

A prompt reply from emodels to my query about stocking individual pots of Hataka Blue Line: "Unfortunately not, as the UK importer has decided not to import them into the country." They will, however, continue to stock single pots of Red Line which will be imported.

Thanks, 303sqn, but Arma Hobby, like Hataka itself, is not UK based. Just concerned about postage costs.

John.

1 hour ago, johnd said:

A prompt reply from emodels to my query about stocking individual pots of Hataka Blue Line: "Unfortunately not, as the UK importer has decided not to import them into the country." They will, however, continue to stock single pots of Red Line which will be imported.

Thanks, 303sqn, but Arma Hobby, like Hataka itself, is not UK based. Just concerned about postage costs.

John.

:(

For my own models I`ve used Xtracolor enamels for years, always been happy with the colours themselves and the ease

of application, with blowgun or paint brush. Currently doing the Aims G4 conversion on the Dragon Bf110.

Tamiya AS-9 is the rattle can specified for the Tamiya 1/48 lanc 61105, which I'm building...for some reason I bought TS-2 Dark Green...which is correct? Might as well use them, even though I've now got airbrushes :D

I'm building an Airfix 1/48 Albion AM463 3 point fueller, this states the body is camo'd in 30 Matt Dark Green, and 86 Matt Light Olive, these are both the same green!

I'm building a diorama of a WW2 airbase, with other vehicles, the Lanc, Mk1 Spit, a Hurricane, and Mosquito. 

Sjould I paint all the planes the same colours? Also, some of the ancillary stuff is green/olive, and some is RAF Blue...its confusing!

On 21/02/2018 at 20:02, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Xtracolor is generally good, Xtracrylics gave me a few "eyeopeners". That's why I stopped using and was happy to bundle mine off to your good self a couple of years back.

The Mossie is in Xtracrylics Dark Green. It doesn't match either BS241 or the RAF Museum chip. The Xtracrylics Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey I used on my Catalina were bang on though.

resized_e0930699-8c2c-4ad8-a35c-75aab427

That Mosquito looks very close to the one I pained in 1973 using HB 2, Humbrol claim that 30 is the equivalent today. I'm no longer at all sure. 

Also, as well as 116, given that HX1, RAF Post War Dark Green is considered by Humbrol today to be 163 that colour is worth consideration. 

See my latest post here:

Talk about a complex response to an innocent question! 

46 minutes ago, mikey builder said:

I'm building an Airfix 1/48 Albion AM463 3 point fueller, this states the body is camo'd in 30 Matt Dark Green, and 86 Matt Light Olive, these are both the same green!

I'm building a diorama of a WW2 airbase, with other vehicles, the Lanc, Mk1 Spit, a Hurricane, and Mosquito. 

Sjould I paint all the planes the same colours? Also, some of the ancillary stuff is green/olive, and some is RAF Blue...its confusing!

The RAF Blue Grey on the vehicles is the pre-war colour, and will have been painted over in 1939.  RAF vehicles obeyed the same rules as the Army, so at the start of the war they will have had a base colour of G3 Khaki Green with a disruptive patter, largely horizontal, of the darker G5 Dark Green - if the latter was applied.  Midway through the war this was replaced by SCC2 Service Brown, then by April 1945 by SCC15 Olive Drab, greener than the US Olive Drab.  All upper surfaces should have been darker than the base colour, with various colours used - SCC1A Dark Brown, Tarmac, Blue-Black - as the war proceeded, with various  disruptive patterns.  The SCC15 was applied overall, but this is unlikely to have been common on RAF vehicles - the official instruction was paint nothing unless you had to, even if the rules had changed.  So  ok, by 1945 there would be some.  These colours are available from Colourcoats: a fuller (and more useful) description can be found from Mike Starmer's research and books, but initially see the MAFVA site http://www.mafva.net/other pages/Starmer camo.htm

The aircraft wouldn't be painted all the same colours, given that the Spitfire Mk.1 and the (majority of ) Hurricanes will have left frontline service before the Lancaster and Mosquito entered service.  So here again It rather depends just which year you are modelling, and indeed which variant of the Mosquito - a bomber, nightfighter or PR?  You would not normally find all these types on the same station, but of course there were visitors.  By mid-war the Lancaster would be in Temperate Land colours of Dark Green and Dark Earth over Night, the fighters and the Mosquito bomber would be in Day Fighter colours of Dark Green and Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey.  Mossie night fighters would be in Medium Sea Grey overall with Dark Green disruptive  over the upper surfaces and sides, with PRU Mossies in PRU Blue overall.

• Like 1

Thanks Graham! That's a big help, I need to repaint the RAF Blue equipment, that's for sure. 

I'm also adding an ambulance and hopefully a Tank that had a RR engine (forget the name right now!) and its this that would be painted in the Tamiya TS-2 spray I bought.

I've got a large shelf set aside in my bookcase, which will hold the diorama, complete with LED lighting, it will just hold all the models, I hope!

By a coincidence, I've been putting paint strips together this week comparing all the manufacturers shades and comparing them against the colour chips in the British Aviation Colours Of WWII book. I make no comment about the spray/brush quality of the paints but based on the ones I've sampled so far, the Vallejo "Battle Of Britain" box set overall are consistently good. Humbrol 30 Dark Green is way too bright and vivid. XtraColor enamel Dark Green is too brown. Humbrol 163 green is also a tad too brown. Tamiya's new XF-81 dark green is a good shade if a little "faded" in appearance and Vallejo 71.324

is a good "newly painted" shade. Tamiya and Vallejo also win in the Dark Earth group and the same two triumph in the Ocean Grey (XF-82 and 71.273) category. Clear winner for Medium Sea Grey is Tamiya XF-83  There's another thread covering Sky so I won't go there. 

Edited by DX-SFX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a footnote, we all know that the paint colours during the war did vary. I find it's not so much about how close individual colours are but how they compare in conjunction with each other. A colour that's slightly too dark next to a colour that's slightly too light looks too contrasty where a set of colours all slightly too dark or all slightly too light, both look correct.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DX-SFX said:

By a coincidence, I've been putting paint strips together this week comparing all the manufacturers shades and comparing them against the colour chips in the British Aviation Colours Of WWII book. I make no comment about the spray/brush quality of the paints but based on the ones I've sampled so far, the Vallejo "Battle Of Britain" box set overall are consistently good. Humbrol 30 Dark Green is way too bright and vivid. XtraColor enamel Dark Green is too brown. Humbrol 163 green is also a tad too brown. Tamiya's new XF-81 dark green is a good shade if a little "faded" in appearance and Vallejo 71.324

is a good "newly painted" shade. Tamiya and Vallejo also win in the Dark Earth group and the same two triumph in the Ocean Grey (XF-82 and 71.273) category. Clear winner for Medium Sea Grey is Tamiya XF-83  There's another thread covering Sky so I won't go there. 

I've started to re-paint the Revell 1/32 Typhoon, again, after the disaster with Matte Coat. 

This is the tail with one side in modern 30 and the other with HX1 Green, which is supposed to be 163 today. 

Typhoon-Repaint.jpg

Interesting difference....!

This is, I believe, the Frog Spitfire XIV, painted in the late 1960s. 

Spitfire-XIV.jpg

At the time it was finished in Humbrol HB1 and HB2, it has subsequently been renovated with new Transfers applied over Kleer and a further coat of Kleer over. 

The Dark Green looks much closer to the right side of the Typhoon tail above, which is HX1 (now 163,) than the lurid blue green 30 on the left. 

• Like 2

That is a good looking Ocean Grey too, on my 'puter anyway, just the right amount of blueish tinge to it. IMHO Hu106 is too Grey these days. Re greens, I'm happyb with Hu116 as MAP Dark Green, pretty much a matt version of Hu163 & both a very close to the Dark green chip in  British Aviation Colours Of WWII to my eyes anyway.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 4:56 PM, Cookenbacher said:

@Greenshirt has done a nice RAF Dark green comparison on his site. He states that Vallejo Model Color 893 and Humbrol acrylic 116 both matched his color chips. Based on his write up, I've used Vallejo 893 often (it's unfortunately labeled "FS 34079 US Dark Green" which it does not match), but have now switched to Colourcoats. I can say that I cannot tell Vallejo 893 and Colurcoats RAF Dark green apart - which makes sense as they both match the official color chip.

Unless I’ve got a dodgy pot or they changed the the formulation Vallejo 893 is not raf dark green, too light and green

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Here's a couple of photos of my builds in different lighting conditions using Humbrol 163. I've been super happy with it for DG since I got back into modelling.

Nice Spitfire! I just did the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Ia and also used Humbrol 163. Great dark green in my opinion. Humbrol 116 is good for RAF dark green as well.

• Thanks 1