Thunderchief - Carswell October 1980 (more added 25feb18)

RidgeRunner

With the F-105 foremost in my mind at present I thought I'd post a few images from a trip around Carswell in 1980. I'll post more once I have time to scan them. The first three are a flight heading out to the ranges in the early morning (around 08:00). The light was low and so the Kodachrome didn't perform well, hence the B&W. Note 61-0076 is named "Pandora's Play Thing".

Martin

thud100

thud102

thud101

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

61-0075 and 61-0076 both ended their days in Socorro, New Mexico, destroyed in testing. 60-0471 was last reported still in AMARC, David Monthan AFB, Arizona.... I know it happens but those are sad ends for such great machines :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Yes, mate, they were huge. I will post more that show this more apparently. I was very lucky in that in 1980 I made a long trip around the southern states and wrote off to visit bases and almost everyone said yes! :). This included two Thud bases. I was very, very happy :).

The guys at Carswell (and Dobbins) were very accommodating. They allowed my mate and I free access to the flight lines and then took us out to the runway "last chance" to shoot some "Thuds with burners" ;). Unfortunately these three shots were among the first of the day and the sun was still emerging through the clouds, hence the darker images. Later the Texas sun came out! :)   

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Hi Martin,

I think I saw some of your other Thunderchief photos on here? They are great, I am rather jealous. I've never seen a Thud, they look pretty awesome. Always remind me of the air war over Vietnam, they flew with great courage in the face of much danger. Hats off to those guys.

By the way, as I'm sure you know, these three Thud's are all Thunderstick II aircraft, with the enlarged dorsal spine containing 'technical stuff' to improve bombing accuracy. There was a conversion part for this, but it's very hard to come by these days. Hannants did it, I think. 

Hi Smudge,

Yes, you remember correctly. I posted a few a while back, but not these (I think) ;).

You are correct, they are T-Stick IIs. The 457th operated these at the end of their service. As I recall - I'd need to check my logs - there were around 20-25 at Carswell (only 30 or so were converted). They also had one standard D (61-0176). You are also right, Airwaves do/did a conversion. I am going to be building a Thud soon, but a standard D.

Thanks for your comments.

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi all,

I've had a little time to add a few more. I've rushed them a little so the editing isn't the best but even so you can get a feel of the day...

Cars44

Cars42

Cars40

Cars49

Cars47

Cars45

Cars48

Cars50

Cars41

F105Carswell2 (2)

Cars31

Cars32

Cars46

The aircraft seen on that date were:

Serial Number Name Vietnam-era name Variant
60-0455   Carolina Thunder/Matzoh Ball Special/Kay's Baby T-Stick II
60-0458   Sweet Linda/Andy Capp/White Lightning Scooter/Herr Kleines Mans T-Stick II
60-0464   M.J./Dee Dee II T-Stick II
60-0465   not known T-Stick II
60-0471 Pandora's Play Thing not known T-Stick II
60-0493   not known T-Stick II
60-0500   not known T-Stick II
60-0517   Otis T-Stick II
60-0527   not known T-Stick II
60-0528   not known T-Stick II
60-0533   Playboy/Susan II The Pleasure Machine T-Stick II
61-0044   not known T-Stick II
61-0063   not known T-Stick II
61-0064   Punkin II/Willy T-Stick II
61-0074 Satisfaction 074 not known T-Stick II
61-0075   not known T-Stick II
61-0076   Cavalier/The Robin T-Stick II
61-0080   not known T-Stick II
61-0096   not known T-Stick II
61-0100   Hot Stuff T-Stick II
61-0110   not known T-Stick II
61-0161   Above and beyond/Li'l Cheryl/The Outlaw T-Stick II
61-0176   The Jolly Roger/Patience My A@@/The Max Beak F-105D
62-4253   Rajin Cajun/Rych Bitch/Thunderbee T-Stick II
62-4387   Sweet Bippy/Eve of Destruction/Devil's Angel/Grim Reeper T-Stick II
63-8309   not known F-105F
63-8331 Double Trouble not known F-105F
63-8343 Cat's Trash Goldfire II F-105F

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added images (26feb18)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 25 February 2018 at 4:36 PM, Red Dot said:

Fantastic stuff. Have a go at posting some more from other bases too ;-)

Andy

How about that? (Dobbins, Andrews and Sculthorpe)

Martin

• 2 years later...

F-105F 63-8343 was one of the last active duty F-105s, serving with the 562nd Tactical Fighter Squadron of the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing at George Air Force Base, California. She was one of the few of those tired Thuds that didn't either go to the Georgia Air National Guard or the bone yard. 

18 hours ago, SAT69 said:

F-105F 63-8343 was one of the last active duty F-105s, serving with the 562nd Tactical Fighter Squadron of the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing at George Air Force Base, California. She was one of the few of those tired Thuds that didn't either go to the Georgia Air National Guard or the bone yard. 

A few more for your delictation 

Martin