TYRES

willie fixit

Morning all, i'm building 2 PROTAR suzuki kits and refurbing another,these have vinyl tyres, i've had them before and they disolve then go solid and break, does anyone know any way to stop this, the wheels have been primed then painted with humbrol, i was thinking of coating the inside of the tyre with PVA adhesive as we use this in the construction industry for sealing surfaces,i was also told to use tyre paint as on your car,any comments or sugestions welcome,

thanks WILLIE                                                      

I think there was a discussion on this on hyperscale.com some time ago.

I seem to remember that matt varnish was the answer but it won't completely halt the deterioration of the vinyl.

Use it on the inside of the wheel as a buffer between it & the tyre, and on the bottom of the tyre.

Having said that, the PVA might just work too.

Difficult to sort out this one.....I made the Tamiya Chieftain about 4-5 years ago, all the road wheels are held on by a vinyl hub caps, happened to check it a month or so ago, every one of them has cracked!!!!  I can also confirm that PVA does just drop of, its water based and just doesnt stick.  for small metal parts, I do find a thin covering of superglue cures the problem. 

I did finish last year the Trumpeter Faun Tank Transporter - you think you have problems with 2 x cars?  This transporter has 36 Vinyl tyres.................2 different sizes and before I started the kit I must have spent months testing all options to make paint stick to vinyl tyres(at one time I had 10 tyres in a line testing various treatments to see which material would stick to tyres - it was a bit lick a "Which" consummer report) After about 1-2 months i arrived at only one product that would stick paint to tyres and so far all appear to be as they should be, painted and weathered...........the product I used is "Rust-oleum" Plastic Primer "Superior Adhesion".........you can get it in various colours, so as my Faun was being done in UN Bosnia scheme, I bought White..................as I said, appears to be holding

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=2&_nkw=rustoleum plastic primer&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684