Hawker Sea Hawk FGA.6 - Hobby Boss 1/72

Rabbit Leader

OK - I've been hooked in by another great BM Group Build! 

By shear chance, I've just completed two Hawker aircraft as part of the recently finished Matchbox II GB (Hunter & Tempest).

When it came down to deciding whether to join this GB or not, I was kind of in two minds. The two previous kits took a lot of work, so I really wanted a nice new tool and (hopefully) easy build as my next modelling project.

Our local postman / courier chap knocked on my door yesterday and delivered yet another parcel with my name of it. Packed inside was the Hobby Boss 1/72 Hawker Sea Hawk that I'd not long won on eBay.

This has been one of those kit's that I didn't seem to buy when it first came out, however upon opening the box I was very pleasantly surprised by the kits overall finesse and amount of detail for such a small model. So this kit seems to tick all the right boxes for me at the moment, so I'd like to join in to all the Hawker fun with this little Sea Hawk kit.

I did notice that there's a thread running within this GB for its bigger 1/48 brother, so I'll be watching that as well as all other great builds during this open group build period.

Cheers and I'll update shortly... Dave

38560217550_aa93fbb2a0_b.jpg

• Like 8

Nice choice Dave, welcome to the GB :thumbsup: 

A good kit but watch the join between main and rear fuselage sections; the transition from horizontal to vertical split is not always a happy one.

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the lack of any updates with this. I’ve just got a (hopefully) small medical procedure to get through later today and am hoping to hit this kit fairly hard whilst enjoying my recovery. 

The kit supples these Suez stripes as decals, however I may just complete this as a fairly clean typical scheme sky/grey Sea Hawk in order to keep it fairly simple. If I like the build I may purchase a 2nd kit and have a spare set of Suez decals spare in case I muck up the first set!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Nice of you to say that F4U - many thanks.. 

7 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hope it's all gone smoothly for you Dave.

So do I Col. 

When I saw the Doctor for the initial consultation, he drew some sort of diagram then scribbled some words to notate some internal body parts. 

I just told him that I'm glad your a Doctor and not an Artist - that's a horrible drawing so best not to see that! 

He just smiled and then went on to talk about his fee structure? 

She'll be right chaps.. I've quietly promised my model stash that I've got plenty of years left in me to give them all a dose of glue and a lick of paint!

Cheers.. Dave.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nah - I’ve just paid him the equivalent of one years worth of good art classes, however I’m sure it will help fund his families next skiing trip instead!!

Cheers and chat later.. Dave 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice to see you here Dave. Looking forward to your build. 

Thanks H, good to hear that your involved as well. Now that the Matchbox GB is over, I’ll take a closer look at all the Hawker builds on here to see who is doing what. 

Should be a lot of fun again.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nah - I’ve just paid him the equivalent of one years worth of good art classes, however I’m sure it will help fund his families next skiing trip instead!!

Cheers and chat later.. Dave 

In New Zealand  or perhaps even Austria. :) Nothing as homely as Thredbo or Perisher. Take care Dave. all the best.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Looking forward to this 

Martin H

So am I Martin!! 

Unfortunately a recent hospital procedure last Friday has me on a slow recovery path where for a good while I could hardly sit or stand let alone concentrate on the modelling bench. Thankfully, things are now on the improve so will hopefully make a decent start by Monday at the latest. 

Now I’ve been doing a little Sea Hawk researching in between and have decided on a fairly clean FB.3  from about 1956. I’ll update the topic title when I’m sure I’ve made a start and my AM decal sheet has arrived. 

Apologies for not contributing too much input into this great GB of late, I’ve honestly been well below my normal upbeat self! 

Cheers (and stay warm all you guys).. Dave

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Go easy on yourself there Dave. A full recovery is your main priority and time spent researching a modelling project is never time wasted ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Glad to hear that you're on the mend . 

Martin H

19 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Cheers RL take it easy & speedy recovery.

Thanks fellas. It’s slow progress, however like my modelling it’s progress none the less. 

Cheers.. I appreciate it... Dave