72modeler

I couldn't resist posting this one; IMHO the Mk 32 Avon-powered Sabre was the most beautiful and the highest-performing version of the breed. It certainly has been well-maintained and well-flown for many years. Sure wish I could hear and see this one fly! Enjoy. photo via Airliners.net

Mike

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Australia-Air-Force/Commonwealth-CA-27-Sabre-Mk32/4846929/L?qsp=eJwljDEOwkAMBP%2BydRpASnEd4QFQ8AHrzkoiBXyyXRBF%2BXvMpRvNSLMhy9f55%2B%2B1MhKMSfOEDpWUPoa0oU7i8iDnUXRFuvYdTNSHYJTQ95y5Ohec/qmF9Z/YcvuM8b0EsL4a49aHL7PVhdqDneYF%2B34AMtwurw%3D%3D

• Like 5

Don't know if it was the most beautiful but sure it's a version I like a lot. There's little doubt on the highest performing, the Avon engine on the Sabre made for a great package.

RAAF Sabres also carried very colourful markings, something that makes them even more interesting

I had the luck of seeing this aircraft fly 9 years ago at the Williamtown air show in New South Wales. I only had a compact camera back then unfortunately but at least the aircraft passed close enough to the crowd when entering the runway for takeoff.

b54fe658-8d51-4202-9b9b-6ece2126e332.JPG

The Sabre later flew as part of a formation celebrating the evolution of fighters in RAAF service together with other types:

cc7a9e36-758a-4a9e-90c9-fb0b67be837b.JPG

e4cc98c7-f421-45fc-969d-3ab3d249f66f.JPG

Unfortunately the quality of these pictures is pretty bad but it's not easy to see a Boomerang, Spitfire, Mustang, Sabre, Hornet and Hawk flying together. Apart from Australian air shows.. :D

PS of course some may object that a Meteor should have been part of such a formation... a Meteor did fly that day but it was with the attack aircrafts group with the Hudson, another Mustang, the F-111 and the then just arrived F-18F

Unfortunately there was no flying Mirage III available, this type would have also well deserved to be part of the fighter formation

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 5

Back in the 80's whilst still operated by the Ronnies that aircraft attended an airshow at NAS Nowra.

At some stage some ruffians did sneak past the aformentioned Ronnies and zap the intake just in front of

the compressor with a RAN Historic Flight zap (painted on of course)

To this very day I have no idea who could have carried out such a vile deed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Back in the 80's whilst still operated by the Ronnies that aircraft attended an airshow at NAS Nowra.

At some stage some ruffians did sneak past the aformentioned Ronnies and zap the intake just in front of

Hmm I wonder who did that :rofl:

If anyone is interested we have a walkaround of A94-983 here on the site. Just saying.......

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, NAVY870 said:

Is that paint I see underneath your fingernails, mate?

Mike