"In the year I was born" GB Chat

Just a wee thought Rabbit Leader; hows about listing the chosen subject alongside the name of the GBer? Just as an interesting guide.

The chosen subject listed is not hard & fast but obviously will may be changed and not everyone has declared anything yet

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Just a wee thought Rabbit Leader; hows about listing the chosen subject alongside the name of the GBer? Just as an interesting guide.

The chosen subject listed is not hard & fast but obviously will may be changed and not everyone has declared anything yet

Excellent idea BK. I’m kinda restricted to a small iPhone of late as we haven’t replaced the home PC since it fried itself. Let me try to log on to my son’s heavily encrypted home built menagerie of components and I’ll see what I can come up with. 

I’m still in three minds as to what I’ll build myself, however will revisit these old posts to see what’s been mentioned so far. To those of you have already indicated their interest, please feel free to re-post your build choice to guide me down the right path. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

[doing this also keeps the thread active, ;) ]

Also reminds me that I’ve committed to way too many GB’s so far - so why am I even contemplating hosting another!! :mental:

Cheers.. Dave 

14 hours ago, bootneck said:

I'd like to but it would be difficult finding images of anything to build.....  we didn't have cameras back then!  :clif:

Isn't the Bayeux Tapestry on tour soon? I'm sure there'll be something there you could do, it would be nice to have some figures in the GB. :whistle:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Isn't the Bayeux Tapestry on tour soon? I'm sure there'll be something there you could do, it would be nice to have some figures in the GB. :whistle:

The hours we had to stand, in the same position whilst those sections were sewn, was indescribable! :tired:  I'm 79th from the left, or is it 80th? :hmmm:

• Haha 6

Room for one more for 1970?

Not entirely sure what  to build yet but am leaning towards a HH-53 from the Son Tay prison raid.

There was an Il-14 hijacked on my actual birthday but don't have a kit of one of those and getting the right decals might be problematical.

Craig.

• Like 2

Craig, 

Nice to know a fellow 1970 baby is happy to take part, There’s certainly plenty of room so your slotted in as well. Being from the same vintage myself I’ll be very interested to see what you end up building, 

Happy 48th for whichever day your birthday just happens to fall on this year. 

Apologies for the lack of proper thread updates. I’ll get to it in a day or two. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3

June 1944 - I'm certain something happened then! I know my father nearly got sacked for trying to join up (Reserved occupation - he was working on extracting magnesium from sea water at Hartlepool) He always said that my birth was the reason Germany gave up!

Royal Marine Kayakers attaching demolition charges  to beach obstacles.

PS - isn't everyone very young?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

OK Chaps,

I've updated the original post with a few extra (and potential) names and 'possible' GB build themes.

Don't worry, no one is locked to anything noted down. I've suggested that I'll tackle a Formula One car having never even attempted a car model before.

So the chances of me actually buying, then building this lovely Ebro kit are pretty slim, however it just adds a bit more interest to the list of years mentioned. 

Please feel free in add or amend what I've already jotted down and enjoy researching the many modelling possibilities of the 'Year that you were born".

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

My year of birth, 1967 was a year of air crashes and the bombing of Vietnam. Mostly "all killed on board" Make you realise how air safety has improved over the years. 

• Like 2

@Rabbit Leader I have acquired a BAC 1-11 to do for the GB and may also undertake an X-15 which set a couple of its many records during 1963.......I'm also on the look out for an Airfix Short Skyvan but they're like rocking horse poo! 

Cheers, M.

• Like 2

Hello @Rabbit Leader, being born in the middle of the Vietnam War, an obvious choice would be a subject from that conflict, however from the year 1967, the most significant aircraft to first fly in the year and has been experienced by millions of people for the past 50 years and will continue to do so is the Boeing 737. So I am going to go with one of those. Not sure what to do subject wise, but a Baby Boeing is looking a strong possibility. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MarkSH said:

@Rabbit Leader I have acquired a BAC 1-11 to do for the GB and may also undertake an X-15 which set a couple of its many records during 1963.......I'm also on the look out for an Airfix Short Skyvan but they're like rocking horse poo! 

Cheers, M.

Those choices all sound great Mark. The Skyvan would be my pick, however I know it's not the easiest kit to track down. 

Good luck with it and let's hope that one turns up before this potential GB starts.   

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Rabbit Leader ... You can pencil me in with Space race or Vietnam. Im trying to find an apollo capsule for 1971. Id like to do Apollo 14. Vietnam would be a default build if i cant find an Apollo.

Dennis

I knew the Space Race would turn out to be popular as I place myself within the avarege age group (1965-75 born) of your typical balding and waist size growing modeller.

Let's hope you end up with this Caspule as I'd love to see it made.  

6 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Hello @Rabbit Leader, being born in the middle of the Vietnam War, an obvious choice would be a subject from that conflict, however from the year 1967, the most significant aircraft to first fly in the year and has been experienced by millions of people for the past 50 years and will continue to do so is the Boeing 737. So I am going to go with one of those. Not sure what to do subject wise, but a Baby Boeing is looking a strong possibility. 

The classic Boeing 737. Who would have thought back in 1967 that there's a Boeing baby either taking off or landing aroud the world every five seconds (so they say?).

It's certainly the workhorse of the fleet where I work and know the aircraft quite well. I shall look forwrad to seeing this one done.

Thanks for your responses. All your probable suggestions have been added to Post#1 and once again just to remind everyone - no one is locked into any particular build that has been noted so far.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Thanks for taking the time to list proposed kit builds against modeller & year. It makes very interesting reading

Glad you approve BK - t'was your idea in the first place, was it not?

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1