"In the year I was born" GB Chat

23 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hello, I would like to give this a bash when we get through in the polls!

1957, the year of the first flight of the Fairey Rotodyne!

Cheers, Ray

Glad you can join us Ray and a Rotodyne would certainly be most fitting for 1957. 

Cheers and thanks... Dave

• Like 1

I've given some thought for this and I've began to lean towards the subjects I dedicated my modelling time and some of my money - but not all of it :cheers:- as a teenager: 1:24 scale musclecars! Can't go wrong with them in 1968 :yahoo:. V-P

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I've given some thought for this and I've began to lean towards the subjects I dedicated my modelling time and some of my money - but not all of it :cheers:- as a teenager: 1:24 scale musclecars! Can't go wrong with them in 1968 :yahoo:. V-P

I read this as a Steve McQueen driven 1968 Ford Mustang from the film “Bullit” - am I correct? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Rabbit Leader Dave, you've certainly hit on something with this GB idea. By my reckoning its been one of the quickest to get the magic number.

I'm still considering my options on what to build

Edit; I think I might do an Austin Seven Mini/Morris Mini Minor. It was launched not long before I was. And I've out lasted it! :P:D

It will have to be the Austin Seven Mini tho as we are an Austin 7 family. And I happen to have a [rare] bagged Airfix 1/32 Mini in my stash.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I read this as a Steve McQueen driven 1968 Ford Mustang from the film “Bullit” - am I correct? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

No... That's a Ford = :poop:but in that same film also appears a beautiful Dodge Charger that the bad guys drive. That's a clean, street drivable machine but what I had in mind was quite the opposite, a Hemi Dart... :coolio:

EDIT: ...and to be precise with the definitions, the 1968 Mustang was a Ponycar, not a Musclecar; the biggest difference being the fact that though the cubic inches might have been the same, the ponycars had some turning, steering and braking abilities to match the power, musclecars were built to go fast - but straight only!

• Like 3

Looks like we reached the magical ‘30’ mark on 27 Feb, which is just seven days from my original post - so I suppose that was quite quick wasn’t it BK! 

Something struck me that deep down we must all be historians of some type. Some of us love the hobby and old kits because it takes us back to our childhoods and others just like to recreate historical images and moments from a by-gone era. 

I figured that a GB based on a certain year or span of years might appeal to a few others and it appears that this just might be the case. Hopefully we will see a chronology of models that will span the better half of some of the best 20-30 years of the 20th century. 

Cheers and hopefully this will get up and become an enjoyable GB next year. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks like we reached the magical ‘30’ mark on 27 Feb, which is just seven days from my original post - so I suppose that was quite quick wasn’t it BK! 

Something struck me that deep down we must all be historians of some type. Some of us love the hobby and old kits because it takes us back to our childhoods and others just like to recreate historical images and moments from a by-gone era. 

I figured that a GB based on a certain year or span of years might appeal to a few others and it appears that this just might be the case. Hopefully we will see a chronology of models that will span the better half of some of the best 20-30 years of the 20th century. 

Cheers and hopefully this will get up and become an enjoyable GB next year. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, I agree on the 'historian' aspect. For me, the kits re-create very interesting machines or situations in the past and when I see new or unfamiliar kits, I end up doing research and self-learning on the subject on hand - then I'll push myself to get on to first sourcing the kit then maybe getting around to building it!

Well done on getting this excellent idea for a GB turned into reality - looking forward to this one! (of course it will get voted in).

Cheers. Mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

I see 1961 is taken - are duplicates allowed?

As Ray has mentioned, duplicate years are most certainly allowed and the subjects choices are very open.

Just build a model that represents the year that you were born so we can marvel at it and all learn just a little bit more about 1961.

I'll mark you down in the OP as a GB contributor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Certainly are, there are a couple of us for 1962 so far.

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

As Ray has mentioned, duplicate years are most certainly allowed and the subjects choices are very open.

Just build a model that represents the year that you were born so we can marvel at it and all learn just a little bit more about 1961.

I'll mark you down in the OP as a GB contributor.

Thank you gentlemen: it's going to be a lightning or possibly a Vulcan as I was born to the sound of them being tested at Woodford!

• Like 1

I'm still researching my options for 1956 (this is addictive!).

I've learnt that on my actual birthday, a Vought Crusader broke the US air speed record.

That's good news, but even better news is that it failed to beat the world record set earlier in 1956 by Peter Twiss in a Fairey Delta 2 :winkgrin:.

(to be fair the Crusader was allegedly production spec., but we don't need to mention that).

• Like 1

Guys & Gals, 

Another great source for inspiration is Flight Magazine's, Flight Global Archive found here

Just insert the year in the 'From' and 'To' dates and all the magazine contents are faithfully reproduced.

It can take a little getting used to, however I found a great article in the magazine which came out a day before I was born (11 June 1970) about 54 Squadrons long range Phantom flight from the UK to Singapore aided all the way by Victor refuelling tankers. Now that's another juicy subject I could happily contemplate.

Anyway - it's all here preserved in good old B & W.

Cheers.. Dave     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Guys & Gals, 

Another great source for inspiration is Flight Magazine's, Flight Global Archive found here

Just insert the year in the 'From' and 'To' dates and all the magazine contents are faithfully reproduced.

It can take a little getting used to, however I found a great article in the magazine which came out a day before I was born (11 June 1970) about 54 Squadrons long range Phantom flight from the UK to Singapore aided all the way by Victor refuelling tankers. Now that's another juicy subject I could happily contemplate.

Anyway - it's all here preserved in good old B & W.

Cheers.. Dave     

My first job was for a company called Normalair Garrett Limited, 50% owned by Westland and based in Yeovil.  I discovered early-on that the Westland Technical Library contained very copy of 'The Aeroplane' and 'Flight' from Issue Number One.  I soon made friends with Yvonne, the librarian and evenings in my digs were a wonderland of history.  Happy days!

Neil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Another one for 1968.

From a quick look in the stash, inital thoughts are a Sea Vixen from Simon’s Sircus, an aerobatic team from 892 squadron that displayed that year.

A Simon's Sircus Vixen will be a cracking addition to this GB. Two big ticks from me (one for each boom!).

I'll add your member name to the OP.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Another one for 1968.

From a quick look in the stash, inital thoughts are a Sea Vixen from Simon’s Sircus, an aerobatic team from 892 squadron that displayed that year.

I do like a Sea Vixen. The Mk1s & 2s used to fly directly over my house in Belfast as they took off from RNAY Sydenham. They were so low the pilot and me could exchange waves.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Yes please Dave.

Good to see that you have signed up for this buddy, but where the heck are you going to find a Wright Flyer? :bleh:

Montgolfier balloon for me. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

I'd like to but it would be difficult to finding images of anything to build.....  we didn't have cameras back then!  :clif:

That’s hard to believe Bootneck. Even the 1903 Wright Flyer has been captured photographically!! Just between you and I, just whisper your year of birth and I’m sure we can find something even in your favoured 1/144 scale. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nimrod54 said:

Good to see that you have signed up for this buddy, but where the heck are you going to find a Wright Flyer? :bleh:

Ha - just mentioned the Wright Flyer to Bootneck as well?? Now if 1976 is what you call ‘aging’ most others on here better start researching the ‘Baloon’ era! 

Cheers and thanks for joining H, I’ll update the OP a tad later... Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1