"In the year I was born" GB Chat

8 hours ago, franky boy said:

Thanks Dave

Feels a bit odd being the youngest at 40😊

I was alive for 10 days before the king died!

James - actually you've been pipped by Sabre_days who is a 1981 baby... still you did hold that title for a few hours so I'll give you that!

... and I'm sure the local radio stations played 'the Kings' songs for more than ten days after that date as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

1962 = Cuban Missile Crisis Oct 16, 1962 – Oct 28, 1962

Good call F4U.

This may appeal to all the Figure modellers as well - what about a model of Fidel Castro dressed in his favoured flat top peaked baseball cap!

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Col - another fine product of '73.

You could always build a cheap 'n nasty Asian small car, remember all those ones we bought when petrol prices went through the roof during the Oil Crisis. 

I'll mark you down as #22 as I take it you're in as well?

#22 will do fine for me cheers David. The Oil Crisis always makes me think of the proper Mini (as opposed to that lump of a thing which has stolen it's name lately) and Japanese motorbikes based on the tales my dad told so perhaps there's the base for a different choice from my usual British aviation subjects.

• Like 2

It's only when you start to read through the things that happened within your living memory that you begin to realise just how old you are getting. My year of birth has been taken up, so Leonardo's Flying Machine won't be making an appearance this time. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That’s 100% correct, I believe we already have two for 1969 and another couple from another year, so I’d be honoured if you could join us and celebrate all the fun... and your not alone in the feeling old stakes either!! 

Anyway, I’m sure I jotted this clause down somewhere in the opening post. More than happy to take more offers from any age group whatsoever.. so sign your kids up as well? 

Cheers.. Dave

1965 would be a wonderful year to celebrate, although it appears that we maybe talking about someone’s passing - so this should possibly read honouring. The rules (what rules?) are pretty open ended so as long as it happened in that year and you can model it (or model a direct association) I’m happy to include it. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 2

6 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

I am thinking two possibilities. The first use of the A6 in Vietnam or a Mosquito to celebrate the genius of Geoffrey DeHavilland.

Mr Lemur.. many thanks for your interest. Your 1965 nomination has been happily accepted so you have slotted in at position #23.   

Cheers and thanks... Dave. 

... just need 7 more now so can someone twist @nimrod54's arm a little so that we're all just that little bit closer to making this fun GB a reality!

6 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

OK! OK! I submit. :lol: Put me down for a splash of '54 vintage Dave.

Excellent news John.. another product of '54 has been gratefully acknowledged within this proposed GB.

I'll place a large #24 against your name.  

Cheers.. Dave  

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Oh go on then!

1960 and specifically the day Princess Margaret married.

I have absolutely no idea as to what I’d build!

Trevor

Why Princess Margaret of course!! 

Well done Trevor, I’m just on my phone at the moment, however will update the list with you as my #25 shortly. 

Many thanks - just need five more able bods to go? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

It's so unusual it must be supported by my traditional non-finishing entry. As with Kallisti 1961 a very good year IMHO.

My favourite thing is this from Wikipedia

As MAD Magazine pointed out on its cover for the March 1961 issue, this was the first "upside-up" year — i.e., one in which the numerals that form the year look the same as when the numerals are rotated upside down, a strobogrammatic number — since 1881.[1] The next such year will be 6009.

I'll find 5 different ones nearer the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great stuff SleeperService (#26).. you're another candidate who will explore that great year of '61 and report back to all of us... love the MAD quote by the way! 

Cheers... Dave

• Like 1

OK, as there are many older than me declaring on here I'll fess up; '59 ----thats 19  59

The year Alaska became the United States largest in area State and Hawaii gave up its independence, The Music Died, Barbie starts her plan of World Domination. We are introduced to the ancient Gaul Asterix and his tribe, some guy goes chariot racing in a film of a book written by a chap who gave one W.H. McCarty a 'pardon'. An inventor introduces a method of travel akin to floating on a magic carpet

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

OK, as there are many older than me declaring on here I'll fess up; '59 ----thats 19  59

The year Alaska became the United States largest in area State and Hawaii gave up its independence, The Music Died, Barbie starts her plan of World Domination. We are introduced to the ancient Gaul Asterix and his tribe, some guy goes chariot racing in a film of a book written by a chap who gave one W.H. McCarty a 'pardon'. An inventor introduces a method of travel akin to floating on a magic carpet

.... and not that I expected you to know... but my parents were married on the 1st of January that year and after producing three quite mediocre baby girls, finally blessed the world with a son of the highest repute!! (god I'm full of it at times!!)..

Thanks BK, just remember every year we get a little bit older and a little bit slower!

Dave 

• Haha 1

First Spitfire rolled off the production line and was flown in May 1938.

Beat me I came off the production line in 1938 and flew in on the 8th November 1938.

Fortunate I was there I repelled Hitler when he tried to get into England without a visa. :yikes:

Sorry, already produced a Spitfire.

But fascinating thread.

Laurie

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CliffB said:

It looks like you've struck gold with this idea Rabbit Leader!

I'll join in too please with 1956.

Cliff

So happy to have you along Cliff. First thing that comes to mind is of course the Suez Crisis, however how cool would a model of ‘The King’ be, strutting his stuff singing ‘Jail House Rock!!’ 

I think that makes you my #27. Bravo. 

36 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

1982= Peace for Galilee, I'm in!

Looking forward to it,

Arnaud

1982 would make you less than 40 Arnaud, almost too young to be building plastic models!! On joking, you are very welcome and at #28 we only need two more names to see this one added to the potential 2019 GB list. 

Arab-Israeli wars were very prominent that year and I still recall watching grainy footage of a certain South Atlantic skirmish that broke out in the year of 1982. 

Thanks Lads.. Dave

• Like 1