Converting Trumpeter 1/48 VIIc from U-552 to U-380

JCSeattle

Hello Gents,

Im starting my first large build project this week and thought I'd do an online build to maybe get some feedback.

I purchased a Trumpeter 1/48 scale VIIc sub and plan to do some changes. The Trumpeter kit is modeled as U-552 with the standard Turm 0 conning tower. Personally, I prefer the look of subs with the late war Turm IV installed. The version with the twin wintergarten and 3.7 cm Flak 42/twin 2.0 cm Flak 38.

I've been doing some research and will convert my sub to U-380 as she looked when commanded by Albrecht Brandi, returning from a 33 day patrol Jan 21, 1944. Brandi was one of only 2 Kriegsmarine members awarded the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds.

The following parts will be used:

Complete photo etch from Rcsubs.cz

3D printed parts from Shapeways, designed by Sasa Drobac/DeStefan 3D Designs

Brass access hatches and FuMO30 radar from Boris Nakropin www.smallrivetsstudio.com

Photos to follow

U-380 leaving for patrol

00782-1.jpg

• Like 2

Oto from rcsubs.cz makes some beautiful photo etch parts for the 1/48 Trumpeter kit

Including a repair kit that fixes that various holes in the hull that are either positioned wrong or don't in incorrect numbers. He even has a 1/48 scale enigma machine done in etch :-)

IMG_1651

Edited by JCSeattle
  • Like 2

Cutting the deck into Swiss cheese. The photo etch comes with a very handy set of 1:1 drawings showing the cuts.

The new brass deck fixes the incorrect Trumpeter plastic deck, providing a correct hole pattern. Plastic cuts pretty rough, still needs fine sanding

sub

Edited by JCSeattle
  • Like 2

I can link photos from other websites, but not from my own photo storage pages. I tried both my amazon prime photo and Flickr. both are paid unlimited bandwidth storage sites. odd

test

U3.jpg

Edited by JCSeattle
  • Like 1

Thanks to the internet I located a 400 page book written entirely about my subject U-380! And including lots of never before published photos  What are the odds of finding such a wealth of information about a randomly picked subject. 

Fortunately I paid attention to my German classes in school. Will be needing them :-)

https://www.amazon.de/ZEITGESCHICHTE-Kleeblattboot-Feindfahrt-Mittelmeer-Zeitgeschichte/dp/3803500206

• Like 1

Hewy,

I will probably do some oil canning just to get some experience doing it. Not sure if the VIIc's had any pronounced oil canning in real life, but it does look good on a model. The photos I have shows little to no oil canning.

I have already added a few impact marks from docking and tying up to other boats. And I will probably also go a little overboard with weathering. It just looks cool.

• Like 1

This is my first attempt at a "serious" scale model. And it is my 4th plastic build. I started building in October and so far I've done a few quick builds just to practice some painting, PE and build techniques. Attached photo of my entire "fleet" All in 1/72 scale. No effort was done to make them look particularly scale, but I've played around with different weathering techniques. The Flower class Corvette took a month to build, the subs a couple of weekends.

IMG_15432

• Like 4