Building the three

Graham316

Right folks here goes,

This will be my first upload this year, been a messy and wild start to the year.

This year I decided that I wanted to build something that could be linked on to the the next build. And with aquiring the airfix handly page victor a few week back, followed by my dad swapping some railway stuff for an airfix valiant.

So two v bombers out of three, already I have acquired the valiant and victor and just awaiting on a vulcan.

The v bomber build

Sorry for the poor photo.

Already I have decided that the three will be painted in their famous anti flash white schemes which will all match. Although the vulcan looks a stunner in camouflage the valiant is a matter of opinion. I am going to start of with building the valiant, and after reading the amount of errors I may have a job on my hands. Any help with these three big beautiful bombers will be appreciated. Hopefully get things started later once the kids are in bed.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 2

@Lord Riot I'm going to be using both the airbrush and paintbrushes. Hopefully I'm planning on using the brushes for small parts and the rest will be airbrushed so I can preshade.

Only been airbrushing for a year so everything is a learning curve at this stage.

The vulcan will be my first attempt at receiving and the victor will be an all out build showing flaps down and brakes open.

• Like 1

evening all,

right so today i started on the first of the three V-bombers, so without further delay i introduce you to the Vickers Valiant.

SAM_4109

A large box for a large bomber. a choie of four variants are available in the kit. iinside the kit are many sprues and some large parts..

SAM_4110

the two main fuselage sections. however there are some inaccuracies, which will need addressing. but overall some nice detail.

SAM_4111

next is the main underside wing halves and the large main top section of fuselage and wings.

SAM_4112

the next sprue was more interesting as it contained the rear tail wings and bomb bay roof and doors.also the undercarriage is visable and also the refueling pipe which runs alongside the cockpit windows.

SAM_4113

also again the underwing tanks are on this one and look nice as well.the engine exhausts and cockpit, seats and navigators staion are all on this sprue.

SAM_4116

finally on this one we have the very large nuclear bomb for operation Grapple and several 1000lb bombs.

SAM_4117

the final sprue is the clear parts still sealed till they are needed, you will notice two cockpit bubbles and 2 bomb aiming windows, this is down to the prototype valiant being able to be made from this kit.  also the photo recon windows for the cameras which were fitted in the bomb bay (not included but available separately.

so on with the show...

to begin with it was a case of building up the cockpit which had the controls and crew access ladder included.

SAM_4118

after  a coat of Vallejo model air flat black it already had character which gave that cold war feel to the cockpit.

also note these ridiculous moulding marks on the inside of the cockpit.:think:

SAM_4119

not sure what is going off but they need to go. 

a coat of mid green was used for the cockpit internal walls which i confirmed with some references from the thunder and lightnings page.

SAM_4122SAM_4120SAM_4123

although it looks rough some internal scratch-building and some minor weathering should tone it all down and make it look something like this...

bru97323bru97324

so as the night has drawn to close i decided to do a quick test fit of the fuselage and despite a small gap in the rear of the cockpit it looking good.

and BIG!

SAM_4124

as usual i couldn't help myself but just have a little play with the main top section of the wings and fuselage and i must say that already i cant wait to see this progress.

SAM_4126

so that is all i have managed tonight hopefully i can make a start on filling the cockpit up with the various electrical equipment and wiring looms. not sure how much will be visible but at least we know its there.

thanks for looking in guys hope to get some feedback from what i have done already.

• Like 2

Update part 2 on the Valiant.

Unfortunately i haven't had much time at the bench due so early starts at work and family time, but progress has been made in the cockpit.

The first task was to apply the decals to the cockpit and seal them with micro-sol solution.

SAM_4128

The rear of the cockpit has also been worked on with the decal showing all the electrical equipment for the navigator and radar operative systems.

SAM_4129

The seats have also been done to a standard at which i am happy with, I did struggle to find anything I could do without making a mess and having to buy aftermarket parts.

until I can source some photos of the seats I'll leave them as is.

SAM_4135

I have also began working on the overhead panels starting with the emergency escape hatch, there are four grab handles which where moulded in but looked terrible so i decided i would work on them and replace them using some 0.5mm wire to make them look more realistic.

SAM_4130SAM_4132

Finally with all four they look much better and will be ready for a coat of primer and a layer of Vallejo flat black.

SAM_4134

You will also notice there are yet more pin marks which will need to be removed. I couldn't resist but have a go at replicating an image I found, here is the real photo following along with my representation of the photo using the current build state.

bru97318SAM_4136

Finally I have began working on the engine intakes removing all of the pin marks by filling them in with Vallejo plastic putty. this is the first time I have used this stuff and was pretty impressed. These have been left to dry and cure overnight, they will then be sanded and cleaned up ready for primer and paint.

SAM_4131

As for the start of the detailing process in the cockpit I used some silver acrylic and applied with a sponge to create a chipped and worn surface on the cockpit floor.

SAM_4137

Before I called it a night and shut down the man cave for the evening, I had a quick test with the bomb bay, I am going to leave the bay open with just some added detail and some weathering. Again the Valiant wasn't an aircraft which got dirty quickly, so only minor weathering and washes will be applied.

SAM_4138

Next update I will begin working on adding all the scratch building to the cockpit including all the wiring looms under the rear compartment desk and also along the walls of the aircraft and any extra electrical boxes which have not been included in the kit. 

Any comments or help would be really appreciated, hope to hear from you all soon.

• Like 1