Using other peoples photographs.

I've two images that I want to show from a magazine that's nearly 45 years old. Can I use then on a post as information/reference only for a question asked. Theirs no copyright symbol or copyright notifications in the magazine, but the authors have been mentioned. What I'm trying to say is what are the does and don'ts of using other peoples Photographs. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but couldn't find it here.

Greg.

I would imagine it's fair use. Quote the source by all means to cover eventualities. Considering there was no internet back then, I would not imagine there would be a problem if credits are given. I'm sure Mike will be able to clarify matters. If no reply is forthcoming by end of play today, just 'report' your own post. The little flag that appears at the top right corner of your text box. A Mod will then pick it up.

As far as I'm aware the Publishers copyright lasts 25 years - so unless the photos are separately credited with their own copyrights from the photographer ( in which case they would have a life span of 70 years I believe) - you are fine as they will fall under the lapsed 25 yr publisher's ( ie the magazine publisher) copyright mentioned above.

To be honest - no one gives a monkeys about stuff like this anyway - You are posting for critical use, to a limited and small group, with no desire to pass off the images as your own or make money from them. You are likely to include details of where they are from anyway - as relevant and useful info for the rest of us.

I would post them and not lose a wink of sleep about it.

Jonners

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

As far as I'm aware the Publishers copyright lasts 25 years - so unless the photos are separately credited with their own copyrights from the photographer ( in which case they would have a life span of 70 years I believe) - you are fine as they will fall under the lapsed 25 yr publisher's ( ie the magazine publisher) copyright mentioned above.

To be honest - no one gives a monkeys about stuff like this anyway - You are posting for critical use, to a limited and small group, with no desire to pass off the images as your own or make money from them. You are likely to include details of where they are from anyway - as relevant and useful info for the rest of us.

Jonners

Thanks Greg.

Personel copyright is 70 years after the death of the copyright holder.

Also copyright law in the UK was changed 1 or 2 years ago. Now liability is only for finanicial loss. As there is no money involved all that can happen is that the copyright holder can ask they are removed.

Edited by Niall
removed reduntant words

I am in the process of writing a book and have requested the use of a number of photos from an Ian Allan publication.

They simply replied asking that I quote the original source (Lancaster at War) and the publishing company that now owns the Rights. 

Job done !

Ian

17 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

You are posting for critical use, to a limited and small group, with no desire to pass off the images as your own or make money from them. You are likely to include details of where they are from anyway - as relevant and useful info for the rest of us.

I think that is the clincher,

Very few people mind about their photographs being used for educational/reference use on forums such as this, it's when people pass off, and even sell on photographs from others as their own where it gets a bit naughty.  Unfortunately Ebay features some of the latter.

• Like 1

I would say in this case that's fine. Some people though do care so it's always best to credit a source..

on the forum you cant repost any pictures which are copyrighted. Some sites such as airliners.net go after people who do.

julien 

A quick note that may interest people reading the above. I've sourced and provided photos for publications in the past and always tried to get the publications to acknowledge the source names when publishing, not always successful but on most occasions it works. That way in the future if people are interested they can themselves get in touch with the originator for further help or info, and everyone is I've found pleased to help, and indeed doesn't mind if pictures are posted, the crux is though it pays to be polite and ask first if you can. If though the source was say a museum etc then I would 'always' ask first as they make funds by selling prints. I provided some photos of Seafire 47's for a series of Articles made by Tony O'Toole on this forum some years ago. The articles all turned out really good but shortly after found a chap in South Wales was scanning the photos and selling them as prints on Ebay ! I sent him a message saying as he had 'found' similar photos to mine could he help me with some research, the photos on ebay then suddenly disappeared !! Subtle but it worked !

Cheerio Clive

Edited by Nearlymen
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Nearlymen said:

The articles all turned out really good but shortly after found a chap in South Wales was scanning the photos and selling them as prints on Ebay ! I sent him a message saying as he had 'found' similar photos to mine could he help me with some research, the photos on ebay then suddenly disappeared !! Subtle but it worked !

That was who I was referring to, the cheek of the seller is unreal.