Ki-102 question

BallsBuster

Hi,

Just wonder if anyone has an idea where the position lights on Ki-102s were located. The wing tips are obvious, but did they have them on the top of the wings (similar to navy aircraft)?

Also, Sword adds the same blobs (I presume they meant position lights by them) on the stabilizers. This seems odd to me and I did not see any mention of them on any plans, but perhaps they are correct? 

Would appreciate any help

Thank you. I have seen these plans, but sadly they are too generic.  Not showing position lights on the top of the wings surfaces.

But the picture is very interesting! If you look at the photo above, there is something like tear drop light cover on the starboard wing. So perhaps Sword was correct there...

Now, if you look at the top surface of the starboard stabilizer: Is there a similar tear drop light cover next to the attachment point slot? To me it looks like one, but I am not quite sure. If it is, it is unusual... I do not think, I saw this type of arrangement on other types. Sword clearly thinks it was a light... And before I saw this photo, I had thought they were wrong. What are your thoughts on this?

Hi,

Frankly speaking I do not see any of that kine of light. I see only mechanism of elevator and trimer...The light is like on drawing- on the wing tip from front...

Here is more photos http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/ki102.html

On the graphics always it is presented this way (even by Sword)

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania kawasaki ki 102

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania kawasaki ki 102

Best regards

J-W

Here. I tried and mark what looks to me as position lights... The quality of the photo, regrettably, does not allow to tell for sure. Sword is clearly of the opinion that these are the position lights in tear drop covers. But perhaps I am not seeing things correctly. First I doubted Sword was correct, but now I am not sure... 

akwBXGa.jpg

Hello

Spots, marked on wings, are positioned just aft of 170 l fuel tanks so these could be fuel or air vents. On horizontal tail a cover of elevator or elevator trim lever or simply an inspection panel seems more likely than position light. Position lights are clearly marked on drawings and graphics J-W provided and also visible on the photo in my first post. It is not very likely for an aircraft, other than purely experimental one or a prototype, to be equipped with more than one set of position lights. Cheers

Jure

6 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

It is not very likely for an aircraft, other than purely experimental one or a prototype, to be equipped with more than one set of position lights. Cheers

Well, Val, Kates and Zeroes all had position lights on top of the main wings in addition to the tip of the wings lights. On the one side of the ocean, Bostons had various lights position, but all more than just on the wing tips.

I am not sure if IJN had the same requirements as IJA, or if Ki-102 followed suit. Sword kit has those marked (actually exactly as on the photo), so I am trying to figure out if they are correct.

The plans above seem to be too general, to reflect maker details... 

1 hour ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Multiple sets of position lights, who would say so?

I do not see why not? It is common practice. For example here he discussion of these on A-20 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013324-a-20b-lights-question/&tab=comments#comment-2568928

1 hour ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I browsed through books and web pages again but no luck.

Same with me... Sadly very little info on Ki-102.

Yes, there is A-20 and plenty of other aircraft (modern airliners, for example) with multiple sets of position lights but they are all installed on wingtips relatively close together, quite unlike position lights on Japanese aircraft, installed on wings well inboard or even on horizontal tail.

There may be another way to determine whether these blobs on wings and on the tail are position lights or not. To operate multiple sets of position lights, multiple switches are probably installed. Hopefully these switches would be visible on Ki 102 cockpit photos. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I found and I do not know how position lights switch should look like or where should it be located.

ki102-7.jpg

Not much but I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure