1/72 Keilkraft Hurricane IIC

leyreynolds

Scalemates has it dated as 197* which is much too late according to my memory.  I have checked with my list of models and have the release date as 1958.  I no longer remember where that came from - the instructions, engraved on the model?

Mike

I've now had a chance to examine the Keilkraft kit more closely - the internals are non-existent and external detailing is a bit sparse. However with the exception of the radiator, the kit components match the Mushroom drawings quite well - not bad for a 1950's product.

I'll bet it has the narrow top to the nose, common to all early Hurricane kits.  However the only fault I can actually remember is that the retractable undercarriage means that it looks very odd if assembled undercarriage down, because the real Hurricane undercarriage is more complex than a simple hinge.

Edited by Graham Boak

• 3 months later...

I was still in the Scouts when it came out, so late '50s looks about right. They did a Camel too.

Apart from the U/C and radiator, the windscreen had too much rake, the exhausts were rather Florentine, and - worst -  the wing was in the wrong place. The fuselage profile was pretty much spot on and the length perfect for a Mk. II - but from the nose to the wing L/E was perfect Mk. I. Hence the result looks odd however much you fettle all the small details - but remember, its only competitor was Airfix's original Mk. IV (RP) ....

BD 30/5/18

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There should also be two plates that fit over the pins on the undercarriage to hold it in place whilst it rotates, or is memory playing tricks?  The nose does look short - strangely I never noticed that in those days.  Nor on the Revell Hurricane which came shortly later - although whether that was too short for the Mk.IIs offered or too long for the Mk.Is offered, I don't recall!

If we are looking for improvements, the prop blades are too thin - as was the case with almost all kits in those days.  As I recall, the fabric effect on the rear fuselage was pretty good, or at least better than most that came later and overdid it.  And how many spokes have the wheels?  I don't really believe that ignorance was bliss when it came to modelling then (or now), but it certainly made life a lot easier.

I had one or two of these. The undercart was made to retract. And the rear part of the fuselage was rather fat I thought. Decals were for 'Last of the Many'.b  Keil Kraft also did a Sopwuth Camel in a yellowy plastic. I had a couple of these too. Sold them all for a nice little bit of cash over 20 years  ago