1917 'self-propelled gun' photo

StevieD

Hello

First time the military section - usually in aircraft.

I was wondering if anyone could help with the 2 images below? A friend of mine gave them to me and, as his father is in these photographs would like to know what this vehicle is. He's had a look around but can't find anything similar. All he knows is that its a self-propelled gun and was taken in 1917 on the beach at Dunkirk. His father is in the first photo and is second from the right. 'Mr Sheffield' (Don't know his christian name)

Many thanks for any help you can give.

resized_9b4eb958-a0a5-4112-95b8-dbad4917resized_5da3daa3-1f25-4d70-aedb-55a2f49c

11 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The Royal Navy were responsible for Armoured Cars and such vehicles. They built many single types, or just a few of a type, on Type B bus and Dennis chassis

Many thanks. I suspected it was some 'one-off' that didn't go into mass production.  My friend said his father was in the army so I never gave much thought to the Naval cap.

That if fantastic everyone. Just sent the links to my friend - you've made an old fella very happy. He remembered his father mentioning being involved with aircraft as well, but couldn't understand how and why. This explains it all.

Thank you.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Interesting looking vehicle… I wouldn't mind trying a scratch build of that one too!

Update: In fact, I have taken the plunge and decided to build one in 1/35 scale… ok it will not be 100% accurate, but I shall do my best! It will be a lovely addition to my WWI collection of models.  

Yet another update: We are now 23/12 and the Seabrook is all but finished! Well, I say that… but you all know how modelling can go. ''Ooh! I'll just add this, or that…'' My model does have a certain amount of artistic licence involved, and I know I've made mistakes or have had to bend the rules a bit due to either my poor abilities or aging eyesight. But it's my model and I love it! 

Edited by McNab
update
  • Like 1