supermarine spiteful canopy

invidia

after some advice please,  I have a very old rareplanes spiteful which i am planning to start soon, the canopy has yellowed, alot. my questions are....

a, can i get rid of this yellowing??

b, will a late mark spitfire (eg F22/F24) canopy fit??  i know the fuselage shapes where different. 

many thanks

No, they're not the same.  One detail about the Spiteful is that the metal frame is only partial- once the canopy starts curving up from the rails, there's no frame until you get to the "cap" at the back end.  The windscreen is also a different shape, which results in a different shape at the front of the canopy.  Best bet is probably to try to find a replacement (vac?) Spiteful/Seafang canopy.  I'm afraid I don't keep up on 72nd, so don't really know what possible or likely options might be out there.

And no, there's no way to "de-yellow" a canopy.

Edited by gingerbob

The Pegasus Spiteful canopy is frankly awful.  Too thick and too wide.  Besides which, the cockpit area on the Pegasus Spiteful had an odd cutout for the canopy that shouldn't be there - the real thing has the fuselage top deck continue all the way to the bulkhead. Not to mention the fact that the tail surfaces are too small and incorrectly shaped.

Sadly, the Rareplanes one has similar issues.  If it was me, I'd give up on the Rareplanes one as it's too much work to sort out and go directly to the AZ Seafang, which makes into a reasonable late Spiteful once the wing fold is filled and the sting hook replaced with the relevant section from an Airfix Spitfire F22.

The AZ Spiteful is a complete abortion and a total waste of time, effort and plastic.  Apart from being underscale, the cockpit interior is complete fiction and the fit is vile.  I loathe the sight of the only one I finished.  Avoid the CMR kit as it's just as bad.  I'm of the opinion that the CMR Spiteful and Seafang were used as masters for the AZ kits.

The Pegasus one, once the tail surfaces and cockpit/fuselage issues are sorted out, looks pretty decent.  It has the brutal chunkiness of the Spiteful down to a tee.  In the best "Blue Peter" tradition, here's one I finished earlier.  The prop's from an Airfix PR19, homecast resin wheels and tail surfaces plus a spare canopy (as clear as it is ill-fitting) from a Magna Spiteful.

16711923_1877507049132089_46894028257772

Despite it's flaws, I'm rather fond of the Pegasus kit and the bulk of my whiffed Spitefuls have been from that kit.

If you decide to go ahead with the Rareplanes, I'd advise stripping an Airfix Spitfire F22 of the tail surfaces and anything else useable.  What's left can be used with the Airfix PR19 to do a Spitfire F21.  It will crosskit - I've done it and I know of at least three other conversions.

Edit: The AZ Seafang looks to be about right.  I'm not sure how underscale the Spiteful is, but a standard Griffon spinner is too wide for it.  The Seafang is a lot chunkier.  The new one looks to be a simple reboxing with new FAA whiff decals, as well as a Seafang F32 serial.

Edited by The Wooksta!
Blah... Reasons! Site won't let me post but I can edit!

7 hours ago, invidia said:

after some advice please,  I have a very old rareplanes spiteful which i am planning to start soon, the canopy has yellowed, alot. my questions are....

a, can i get rid of this yellowing??

b, will a late mark spitfire (eg F22/F24) canopy fit??  i know the fuselage shapes where different. 

many thanks

Hi

not sure if it will work

but this maybe worth a last ditch try ? 

http://thetoyrestore.com/how-to-bleach-whiten-yellow-plastic-toys/

cheers

jerry

If the canopy is unuseable then try some tooth whitening toothpaste (and an old toothbrush) then polish it up.  I WOULD stress i only did this on a canopy that was yellowed and past it.  Turned out ok....

5 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

The AZ Spiteful is a complete abortion and a total waste of time, effort and plastic.  Apart from being underscale, the cockpit interior is complete fiction and the fit is vile.  I loathe the sight of the only one I finished.  Avoid the CMR kit as it's just as bad.  I'm of the opinion that the CMR Spiteful and Seafang were used as masters for the AZ kits.

I've just discovered this assessment to be 100% accurate, but it's cost me EUR 15 to find out. Back to the drawing board for me too. Interesting (and encouraging) that the new AZ Seafang is different in shape to their Spiteful. That might be the way ahead.

Justin