Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Tempest F.6 - No. 249 Squadron RAF

Once again greetings from a very balmy Brisbane, Australia (believe me, Winter can't come soon enough!).

This was my second entry into what has been a very successful Matchbox II Group Build.

Final entries closed at midnight yesterday and although there were over 130 promised kit starts, 96 completed Matchbox models made it into the final Gallery - very impressive. 

This Tempest kit was rescued from the ever present 'Spares box' and was missing a number of parts which were either obtained on here via the BM 'Wants' section or donated from other Tempest scrap kits. 

I've done enough waffling over the course of this build, so here is the dedicated WIP thread link and a few photos of the completed model. 

Cheers and thanks... Dave (oh - apologies for the amount of photos - I got carried away with my first ever WIP!). 

40285344962_776cc75a82_b.jpg

26458966848_e4a2e4fe3c_b.jpg

40330604151_c208f21aae_b.jpg

40330670161_c6c7d1d13c_b.jpg

26458950188_0492b91c2f_b.jpg

26458976708_6eae5a7c4b_b.jpg

40285372962_48784b2953_b.jpg

39433089745_6fe8bc9551_b.jpg

38521388220_e22beab2af_b.jpg

And a few WIP photographs

23818187698_9941fdbf0b_b.jpg

37603471186_f579fba762_b.jpg

37709295411_bc65c1ca72_b.jpg

37162142694_c09d9c6f83_b.jpg

37377974624_98d7208dba_b.jpg

38202285102_8929567145_b.jpg

24383916468_f8772f1baf_b.jpg

38485356952_9d007ce0db_b.jpg

24706567868_abc48e1cea_b.jpg

24868567338_298cdcb426_b.jpg

37890832295_a06a22755f_b.jpg

40085619741_15acab55cd_b.jpg

40085640371_568a0c453c_b.jpg

40330714231_ea45499f2e_b.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

I said it over in the GB section Dave but I'll say it again, sweet as a nut and one of the nicest Tempest builds I've seen and in the best possible scheme (mint chocolate chip anyone ;) )

My hat is well and truly off!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The Matchbox Tempest is a little gem and turns out really nice with a little attention. Your's is lovely.

Many thanks - it's surprisingly also very accurate when compared to the Arthur Bentley plans. The canopy is off and the gear doors are too basic, but the rest is quite good. 

It's a shame that it suffers from the typical Matchbox trench lines. 

8 hours ago, Strangeways said:

Beautiful work Dave, hard to believe that's the old Matchbox kit – looks more like Hasegawa, thanks to your re-scribing. Love it.

Very Kind words there and the comparison with Hasegawa is way too flattering! - that's one hell of a compliment,. Many thanks.  

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Wow!  If only Airfix could manage panel lines that fine.  Good job!

That's quite funny, however in all seriousness I'd give certain body parts away if Airfix managed to grace us with a new tool Tempest - with options for the later marks of course! 

Then again, Eduard may come to the rescue should they ever decide to downscale their soon to be released new 1/48 kit. 

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Can't add anything to what I've already said in the GB Dave, beautiful work,I still maintain you should have told everyone it was an Airfix test shot

:evil_laugh:

Steve, you've been very kind with all your words of praise, so thanks for sending more of the good word my way. 

Now had I claimed that this was an Airfix Test Shot, I would have had a boat-load of you lot at my doorstep armed with pitchforks and dressed in farming attire - all baying for my blood. 

I'm sure the Brisbane heat would have knocked all the aggression out of you anyway, so I would have probably won in the end! 

In summary, many thanks to all of you for the very commendable comments.

At the start of last year I was at the crossroads of giving this hobby up in frustration, so it's nice to be able to complete some kits to a workmanlike standard every now and again.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2

Beautiful finish Rabbit Leader and an unusual but attractive colour scheme.

Thanks to Cyclone Kelvin we have a few days of Brisbane weather here in Adelaide, not so hot maybe but stacks more humidity than we're used to.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Fabulous Tempest!

If I hadn't seen that Lesney mark on the inside of the 44 year old port fuselage moulding, I'd hardly have believed the origin.

A convincing, and humbling, display of persistence, dedication and modelling skills.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

Beautiful finish Rabbit Leader and an unusual but attractive colour scheme.

Thanks to Cyclone Kelvin we have a few days of Brisbane weather here in Adelaide, not so hot maybe but stacks more humidity than we're used to.

Andrew

Thanks for the comments Kelvin. The final finish took me a while to get too, thanks to our humidity and my spluttering Air Brush. 

Now a cyclone in Adelaide??? I've heard it all now!

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Fabulous Tempest!

If I hadn't seen that Lesney mark on the inside of the 44 year old port fuselage moulding, I'd hardly have believed the origin.

A convincing, and humbling, display of persistence, dedication and modelling skills.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Throw in a dose of luck there Joachim - there were many days of ups and downs and to be honest, if it wasn't for the Group Build end date, It would have probably entered the S.O.D. 

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

Holy crap.

I'll take that as a positive (I think?) PC. 

Cheers.. Dave

That's a fabulous looking Tempest.  I've always thought this was one of Matchbox's better kits but never would have believed such a fantastic end result could be achieved as this.  Do you happen to know why the interior undercarriage doors were painted in such a way?

• Thanks 1

That is one fine Tempest.

I presume by your 'balmy' weather comment, you mean humidity, which makes the result all the more impressive.

It may be hard for you Queenslanders to believe but it has been so humid down here that I just stopped work on my current project.

I too long for winter. Winter in Melbourne is when you wish it were summer!

Michael

Edited by Michael51
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That's a fabulous looking Tempest.  I've always thought this was one of Matchbox's better kits but never would have believed such a fantastic end result could be achieved as this.  Do you happen to know why the interior undercarriage doors were painted in such a way?

Thanks for the kind words.

Photographs would suggest that No. 249 Squadron had a tradition of using flashes of red and white, especially on it's post-war Tempests.

The earlier 'Day scheme' Mk VI's wore red (outlined white) GN codes as well as u/c doors and spinners, however best to check photographs to confirm this. 

These codes look quite smart and are also available in decal form by various manufacturers.      

4 hours ago, Michael51 said:

That is one fine Tempest.

I presume by your 'balmy' weather comment, you mean humidity, which makes the result all the more impressive.

It may be hard for you Queenslanders to believe but it has been so humid down here that I just stopped work on my current project.

I too long for winter. Winter in Melbourne is when you wish it were summer!

Michael

Thanks Michael. Balmy, humid, freakin damn hot - call it anything but not pleasant. Makes breathing (let alone modelling) almost a chore.

I heard Melbourne's weather has been quite horrid of late. I'm a product of Melbourne myself and only knew what cold weather was once I left and then returned for a freezing holiday!!

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1