MFH Vincent Black Shadow, 1950 model, 3/10/18 update

Scott H

Hello All

I recently purchased and have started the MFH Vincent Black Shadow.  Been working on this for about 2 weeks.  Mostly drilling holes and cleaning up parts.  As this is a very complex build and a challenging one, I am working pretty much straight through the directions.  I spent a lot of time cleaning parts, filing some excess material off and test fitting.  So far it seems all good but we will see as we go down the road.   I am painting the engine in Zero Lotus Racing Black, because I have it on hand, then I painted the cylinder pieces in Zero Pure Black.  I will probably using the pure black for the tank, front and rear forks.  I want some variation in the shades of black for contrast.  

DSCN1564

I am using zero paint etching primer for the metal parts to be painted.

DSCN1556DSCN1557

DSCN1558DSCN1560DSCN1562DSCN1561

Edited by cbk57
update title
  • Like 6

I am fighting the flue or some other bug.  I had the day off work yesterday, planned to work on the Vincent all day but instead spent the day on the couch.  Today was pretty much the same but I wanted to get a little done.  Last week I ran all of the hardware and small parts that are to be shinny through my magnetic polisher.  This morning I have them a quick spray with Tamiya metal primer.  This way the white metal should take a clear coat latter on and not tarnish over time(maybe using the wrong words for it turning back a dull metal color).  I also masked around the vincent logo and filed off the paint, then I shot it with tamiya metal primer to protect it and like the other parts hopefully it will hold a clear coat later.  Here are a few photos.

DSCN1570DSCN1573

Edited by cbk57
  • Like 1

I have been working on the Vincent when I could this week.  I added a lot of hardware to the engine.  Today I added one of the heads and the pushrod tubes.  I found at least on the first one after my best fitting that the tubes were a bit long so I cut them down slightly.  I also primed a new batch of parts today but that is not so interesting.  I had a devil of a time finding part M238.  Turns out it is a chrome filler bolt on top the crank case above the vincent logo.  Also I magnified the instructions some of the hardware is not visibly called out but looking at the directions with magnifiers I could see the tiny screw heads.  I find even on the directions I need magnifying glasses to check the details.

DSCN1582DSCN1585DSCN1584

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a bit of work on this, I have added more hardware and the second cylinder.  Also fitted the carburetors, however the intake trumpets won't go on until the model is finished as they will get knocked off.  I use JB weld to fit most of the parts but this dries grey so I will need a clear epoxy which may not have as strong of a bond to fit the trumpets.  I also applied a Zero paints clear coat today to the motor.

DSCN1589

DSCN1590

DSCN1595DSCN1593DSCN1592

• Like 2