RAF Edzell vampires

TOPGUN88

Hey guys. A couple of years ago a fellow modeller sent me some photos of vampire FB5s at edzell In the 1950s. For some reason I have been able lose the photos. Does anyone have photos of vampires at Edzell. Ive been in touch with montrose air museum about the ex gate guard vampire they had but there wasnt any respone to any photos of it when it was whole. I remember an article where the jet was on the pole and when it had been taken off and moved but cant remember what site it was on. If anyone has any photos id be happy to hear from you. 

• Like 1

You need to PM a member on here who goes by the name 'Harry Lime'. He's a member of the Aberdeen Modellers Society (which meets every second Tuesday of the month at the Gordon Highlander's Museum if you are interested?) and is keen on the post war history of 612 Sqn and RAF Dyce. (I'm sure you already know that the Vampires based at Edzell (about 3 miles away from where I'm sitting right now) were from the 612 County of Aberdeen RAux AF Squadron based there while the runway at Dyce was being extended.) I passed a folio of documents from an ex 612 Sqn member to 'Harry' and I'm sure he still has a copy. If I remember correctly there were photos in that document.

I used to drive right past that Vampire on a regular basis and never once stopped to take a photo!

Duncan B

• Like 3

thanks guys. I have the decal sheet and plan to do a heller kit in this scheme. I will contact harry lime. I think the gentlemans name was brian that sent me the photos. Black and white and one of them had a picture of an anson in the background with the vampires taxing with underwing fuel tanks. 

• Like 1

The photo with the Anson sounds like one I have seen that was taken at Dyce while the re engineering of the airfield was still underway. 

The gentleman that was ex 612 told me they used to get flown down from Dyce to Edzell in the Anson every day. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

WOW. Thanks for the photo. I see the back end of the one and only meteor T7 they had aswell. I remember in the memory photos there was one of a single vamp flying over aberdeen but cant remember what year/month of the evening express it was in. Still I havnt seen a photo of a camouflaged scheme as what the decals show. 

The pic thatvi saw was deffinately at edzell. The anson was alot further in the background and the vampires (I think) were scatered a bit with make shift shelters. There was also a photo close up of the nose of a vampire with the RAF housing in the background. Showed the badge close up and was either being inspected or refuelled. 

• Like 1

I have been able to obtain a couple of pictures of the gate guard and a goid one from a place called canmore, although unfortunately I dont think they alow it to be shared as they ask you what your using it for. :(

• Like 1

Although there are a few profiles showing the camouflaged aircraft,photos are even rarer.

I've had a look through my books on the Vampire and those on Scottish airfields, with no joy.

I found this interesting snippet in 'Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft' by John Rawlings:

"and although an official colour insignia was approved comprising a tartan design in green,blue and white,there is no record that the Squadron's aircraft ever carried it."

I see that Hannants credit Alan Carlaw with their camouflaged markings. He's usually correct in my opinion so wonder where his information came from?

Here's a list of their aircraft from above named book:

VV637 /8W D,VZ846/ 8W M, WA445/ 8W N, VZ873 /8W A, VZ325 /8W E, WA397/ 8W I WG828 /8W, VV678.

The Squadron were at Edzell after re-equiping with Vampires from Spitfire 16s for just over a year.

• Like 1