Sanger 1/48 Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC - Finished at last!

woody37

Hello Woody,

I talk with Pierre minutes ago.. As it is a common project, I will not do anything unless he agreed.

So Pierre told me that the rim of the wheels are the same one as the one of the Lanc but the tyres are wider..

He has the moulds for the Wheel, if you want a pair of that resin Wheel designed for the Stirling, we can provide it

We also have a bunch of resin interior parts, we can also send it.. if it is of any interest for you

Did you see the stirling scratchbuilt by Mr Megas Tsonos ?? I think it has been published in Tamiya magazine in 8 épisodes.

There is a chance that Megas will show it at Telford 2018.

For instance, Pierre is a BC addict and he did spent a lot of time talking with the guy at the BC Sig in Telford last November.

Pierre is actually working on a Tollerton Halifax based on the Fonderie one. I say based because it is more a complete rebuilt.

So do not hesitate if we can help

Sincerely.

CC

PS; Pierre will be a future BM member

• Like 2

I'll watch this with interest. I have Sanger's 1/72 An-12 Cub and Shackleton MR3, as well as their 1/48 Sunderland, Blenheim and Shackleton.

If I may suggest you do some basic quality checks of all of the flying surfaces before worrying too much about flaps etc. Sanger seem to make all their wing and tail masters with a profile view and a root aerofoil section. What happens outboard of that is pot luck. My Blenheim kit has oval section wings from mid-span outwards and the Sunderland has one wing oval section and the other almost triangular section.

Clearly you're capable of doing all of this, but I find it's worth determining whether the wings and tail just need to go in the bin and remade from scratch before fretting too much about details.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

My Blenheim kit has oval section wings from mid-span outwards and the Sunderland has one wing oval section and the other almost triangular section.

Amazingly Disappointingly mine has the same issue. A look at the nacelles will show more. Then on my Blenheim IV the canopy is a 'challenge' and there's something wrong in the nose sides that I've yet to work out.

I'm in with a comfy seat and a large coffee. Time to learn methinks :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Amazingly Disappointingly mine has the same issue. A look at the nacelles will show more. Then on my Blenheim IV the canopy is a 'challenge' and there's something wrong in the nose sides that I've yet to work out.

I'm in with a comfy seat and a large coffee. Time to learn methinks :)

Hmm. My canopy looks pretty good at a first glance. Maybe we could start a Blenheim thread to avoid hijacking. What I might end up doing is buying a spare Airfix Blenheim and making a new Mk.IV nose for it. I mean I'm up for a laugh but I'm not daft!

If the Stirling here turns out half as well as his Avro Manchester, this thread will be golden :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Good start on the rear fuselage mate..... Jamie's right, Sanger parts can be a bit of a lottery. Careful planning and prep is needed, but then, that's half the 'fun' with vacs.

Good to know, I'll need to chat to him about my FM Hampden!

You're welcome Dear general !

The Hampden is on her way, but for the while, he's struggling with the Tollerton

I'll transmit on the spot !

CC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'll watch this with interest. I have Sanger's 1/72 An-12 Cub and Shackleton MR3, as well as their 1/48 Sunderland, Blenheim and Shackleton.

If I may suggest you do some basic quality checks of all of the flying surfaces before worrying too much about flaps etc. Sanger seem to make all their wing and tail masters with a profile view and a root aerofoil section. What happens outboard of that is pot luck. My Blenheim kit has oval section wings from mid-span outwards and the Sunderland has one wing oval section and the other almost triangular section.

Clearly you're capable of doing all of this, but I find it's worth determining whether the wings and tail just need to go in the bin and remade from scratch before fretting too much about details.

Yup, Pierre has just told me that the tail is almost the only part that has a good rendition

But the fuselage is too short according to the plans....

No No Woody, we did'nt intend to kill the mojo !

I'm sure that you are the right contender for this challenge !

And, my mistake, Mr Tsonos has publied his Stirling in MENG modelling magazine, from #64 to #72 I think !

Sincerely.

CC

Edited by corsaircorp
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Woody,

I talk with Pierre minutes ago.. As it is a common project, I will not do anything unless he agreed.

So Pierre told me that the rim of the wheels are the same one as the one of the Lanc but the tyres are wider..

He has the moulds for the Wheel, if you want a pair of that resin Wheel designed for the Stirling, we can provide it

We also have a bunch of resin interior parts, we can also send it.. if it is of any interest for you

Did you see the stirling scratchbuilt by Mr Megas Tsonos ?? I think it has been published in Tamiya magazine in 8 épisodes.

There is a chance that Megas will show it at Telford 2018.

For instance, Pierre is a BC addict and he did spent a lot of time talking with the guy at the BC Sig in Telford last November.

Pierre is actually working on a Tollerton Halifax based on the Fonderie one. I say based because it is more a complete rebuilt.

So do not hesitate if we can help

Sincerely.

CC

PS; Pierre will be a future BM member

Hi Dennis,

I studied Megas's build this morning and am in complete awe of his abilities. I will be one happy man if he brings it to Telford this year. The reality is that my build will not even come close to what Megas has produced, he has demonstrated what can be possible. If I can buy some wheels already made up to diameter, then yes please, it will be one less job to do. If you have the turrets, undercarriage legs, tail wheels and full interior to hand, they will be most grateful too ha ha :lol: Joking aside, if you have the tail gear parts cast up, I'd be interested in them. I never made it to Telford last year unfortunately, but I'm sure the guys will welcome Pierre to the group. We have a closed group on Facebook if he frequents there at all. Can't wait to see his Halifax :)

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You're quite right Jamie, the wings are in fact moulded up side down on the Stirling so the surface detail will have to be filled and scribed on the opposite sides. The aerofoil doesn't look too bad once you realise that! Mike has made some full chord ribs that hold the shape pretty well. This will be a compromise though, as long as it looks visually right, I will be happy. Meddling with a vac form is something I am still figuring out.

I notice in Megas's build, he uses a Wellington front turret so if anyone has one of them spare (I appreciate that's a long shot unless someone is doing an early Mk.I conversion), I'd kindly take it off your hands.

Cheers

• Like 4

Hello Dennis,

here are the parts at hand, I think that Pierre have some more.

There is a trick with the turret too but I did'nt remember.

40343440262_32ee49e281_b.jpg

We will be glad to send it.

I asked Pierre, it will be easier when he came up on BM himself !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

I notice in Megas's build, he uses a Wellington front turret so if anyone has one of them spare (I appreciate that's a long shot unless someone is doing an early Mk.I conversion), I'd kindly take it off your hands.

I think I may be able to help you with that. It may take a few days but a friend should have one spare. I've sent an e-mail requesting it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dennis,

here are the parts at hand, I think that Pierre have some more.

There is a trick with the turret too but I did'nt remember.

We will be glad to send it.

I asked Pierre, it will be easier when he came up on BM himself !

Sincerely.

CC

Wow, I was only joking, but yes please. I'll pm you :)

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I think I may be able to help you with that. It may take a few days but a friend should have one spare. I've sent an e-mail requesting it.

That that would be great if spare, many thanks for your help.

Really appreciate the help guys :)

• Like 1

Good work on that back end so far - the joys of vacs, eh? ;)

I'm glad the wing issue has been mentioned - it's going to add a lot of extra work to the build but the upper wing profile is just too flat as it comes in the kit. I imagine it'll mean having to remove the nacelles as you flip the upper and lower surfaces, but it's a small price to pay as it'll greatly improve the overall look of the finished article.

I too have all of the articles on the scratch-built one from Air Modeller - it's a really useful resource and I when I get back to my 1/32nd one I'll be using that as my main reference.

Can't help out with any spare parts I'm afraid - hopefully the good chaps on here will come to your rescue - if they haven't already done so.

I can't wait to see more!

Tom

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I've heard back and he has got the front turret parts. He's away on business until the 16th March so if you PM me your address he's promised to give them to me when I get him home from the airport.

• Like 1

Good morning all.

Neil is in need of some drawings to assist with this build and hopefully I'll be able to help out in this department. I've managed to get hold of a few rather basic three-views, but could do with a copy of the drawings from the Warpaint book to confirm a few details before I put pen to paper.  I know there are a few issues with all of the drawings currently available but by cherry picking the best of the info from each, I should be able to come up with a fairly accurate set of plans.

So, if anyone can help out with a copy,  I'd be most grateful.

Off now to check I've plenty of lead in my pencil.

Chris

• Like 2

Seems to me there was someone doing a 1/32 Stirling that too was either not finished or it was but done off line. l would like to know what happened to it as the person did a 1/32 before that and finished it quite nicely too

hacker

• Like 1

Good to see you cracking on with it straight away Neil, and I hadn't yet noticed the odd shape of the top fuselage.  We discussed the nose turret when you picked her up, but that's a whole 'nother ball-game, as was the inequity in the profile of the nose "cheeks".  I may have done some stuff, but you've got a lot more stuff to do ;)

I'm glad it's gone to you, as having tried to tackle it pretty soon after coming back to the hobby, it was just too much and I put myself off it in a BIG way.  Better in your hands, as you've not yet had the bejezuz scared out of you by it ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stringbag said:

Good morning all.

Neil is in need of some drawings to assist with this build and hopefully I'll be able to help out in this department. I've managed to get hold of a few rather basic three-views, but could do with a copy of the drawings from the Warpaint book to confirm a few details before I put pen to paper.  I know there are a few issues with all of the drawings currently available but by cherry picking the best of the info from each, I should be able to come up with a fairly accurate set of plans.

So, if anyone can help out with a copy,  I'd be most grateful.

Off now to check I've plenty of lead in my pencil.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Pierre has done lot researches about plans, the most accurate can be found on wikipedia....

that's fun but true, he did some copy, spending one full day in havin' a good 1/48 plan.

Still crazy after all these days :P

Sincerely.

there is now a full batch of people interested by the Stirling...

call it the Stirling's fraternity !

CC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Wow, I was only joking, but yes please. I'll pm you :)

Really appreciate the help guys :)

Hi Neal

I'm sure you know already but a Wellington turret is significantly different from a Stirling one. The cupola is totally different as is the mounting of the twin brownings (about a true 4" higher than the Stirling FN5)

John

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Chris,

Pierre has done lot researches about plans, the most accurate can be found on wikipedia....

that's fun but true, he did some copy, spending one full day in havin' a good 1/48 plan.

CC

Hello CC.

I've seen the plans on Wikipedia but unfortunately they aren't really up to the standard I'm looking for in terms of detail unless I'm looking at the wrong ones and there are others I don't know about.

Thanks for the pointer though

Chris

2 hours ago, stringbag said:

Hello CC.

I've seen the plans on Wikipedia but unfortunately they aren't really up to the standard I'm looking for in terms of detail unless I'm looking at the wrong ones and there are others I don't know about.

Thanks for the pointer though

Chris

Hello Chris,

Here's an adress that Pierre share eagerly. It seem pretty good and at a good price.

Owner's workshop manual, Haynes publishing.

Sincerely.

CC

7 hours ago, hacker said:

Seems to me there was someone doing a 1/32 Stirling that too was either not finished or it was but done off line. l would like to know what happened to it as the person did a 1/32 before that and finished it quite nicely too

hacker

@tomprobert is doing this although he’s dragging his heels at the moment 😆

6 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Hi Neal

I'm sure you know already but a Wellington turret is significantly different from a Stirling one. The cupola is totally different as is the mounting of the twin brownings (about a true 4" higher than the Stirling FN5)

John

Damn, I’ll go back and see how Megas approached it

9 hours ago, massimo said:

Looks a very promising project!!!

Can I watch?

Most certainly :)