M4A2 Sherman ... somewhere in the Pacific

Etienne

Hi,

2nd Sherman is nearly finished, at least for the build part ... just need a tow cable and go for the paint booth ;)

The tools were treated the same manner as the other one ... for the next ones, I'll try PE and resin AM parts, to see if it looks better or not :huh:

img_1177.jpg
img_1179.jpg
img_1181.jpg
img_1180.jpg
img_1178.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 3

I think the time has come Etienne, when you need to join SA..........Shermanholics Anonymous!! It seems as though the bug has definitely struck.

Excellent work on the scratch building. The welds and the etched brass are really good.

John. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I think the time has come Etienne, when you need to join SA..........Shermanholics Anonymous!! It seems as though the bug has definitely struck.

Excellent work on the scratch building. The welds and the etched brass are really good.

John. 

Hi John, I guess I need a mentor to join ?? :P 

I have to admit Shermanmania is a very powerful addiction ... so many variants makes the subject endless !

E

• Like 1

Hi,

I finish the 2nd Sherman, adding the siren with wiring (seen on photos of the specific tank I'm depicting) and the tow cable ... next step, priming ;)

img_1190.jpg
img_1189.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 3

Brilliant scratch, lovely PE and super tidy build all round.

I'm not surprised you didn't get both done in time!

Waiting for the next installment,

Rearguards,

Badder

21 hours ago, Badder said:

Brilliant scratch, lovely PE and super tidy build all round.

I'm not surprised you didn't get both done in time!

Waiting for the next installment,

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder, I am still wondering how to dust the first one son no way I would have been on time, right ;)

Today, I primed the 2nd Sherman, did a little bit of zenithal modulation ... and base coated it ^_^ ... I struggled a bit with the paints today, don't know exactly why ??

The modulation is not that visible under the base coat, but as it is only there to subtly reinforce the natural shadows and highlights, it's ok.

img_1192.jpg
img_1195.jpg
img_1191.jpg
img_1193.jpg
img_1194.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 2

Hi Etienne,

Firstly, I like the term 'zenithal modulation'. Down where I live, we'd call it 'Lightenin' the 'igh spots!'

I've never tried black and white modulation, but I've seen a few builds where it's worked well. And I once tried modulation using red and yellow. I sprayed yellow from directly above, and red from directly below, the yellow to provide highlights, and the red, shadows, and then spraying dark green over the top. That worked really well. The dark green looked faded where exposed to sunlight, and in the shadows it took on a bronzy hew. The I added too many coats of green, and the red and yellow was mostly lost.

Next time I try modulation I will use the same method, but with less top coats!

@Hewy used garish colours for modulating his Calliope in the M3-M4 STGB, and I think that worked out beautifully.

In the photos it's very hard to see your modulation, but that may be down to the lighting and or camera. But that's not knocking it. It's a very nice Sherman, and I'm sure it's just going to get better and better!

Rearguards,

Badder

7 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Etienne,

Firstly, I like the term 'zenithal modulation'. Down where I live, we'd call it 'Lightenin' the 'igh spots!'

I've never tried black and white modulation, but I've seen a few builds where it's worked well. And I once tried modulation using red and yellow. I sprayed yellow from directly above, and red from directly below, the yellow to provide highlights, and the red, shadows, and then spraying dark green over the top. That worked really well. The dark green looked faded where exposed to sunlight, and in the shadows it took on a bronzy hew. The I added too many coats of green, and the red and yellow was mostly lost.

Next time I try modulation I will use the same method, but with less top coats!

@Hewy used garish colours for modulating his Calliope in the M3-M4 STGB, and I think that worked out beautifully.

In the photos it's very hard to see your modulation, but that may be down to the lighting and or camera. But that's not knocking it. It's a very nice Sherman, and I'm sure it's just going to get better and better!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Hewy's modulation is great, I saw it and will probably try it on a test hull ... to see what it gives in my hands ;)

You're right, my camera is not the best one ... in fact, it's just my Ipad, my camera died a few months ago and I didn't replace it for now ... anyway, the modulation is subtle yet visible actually but I'll add some highlights to make it a little stronger before filters !!

Glad you like it B)

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

Just now, Etienne said:

anyway, the modulation is subtle yet visible actually

I thought it probably was. My figures for the FACE OFF Sherman look plain pale pink in the photos, but they are darker,  have several flesh tones and eyeballs in natural light.