Phantom FG.1 767 Squadron

Nigel Bunker

Did 767 Squadron ever land any of their Phantoms on Ark Royal or even any other carriers? I suspect the answer is no as I can find no pictures of them aboard a carrier but I seek confirmation.

Found that book online, Phantom From the Cockpit - Peter Gaycill,

It mentions XT868 (which was codeD VL 153) being flown out to the Ark to make up for the loss of XV565 in June 71.  XT868 is pictured ashore after tha period in the full 767 livery so would be interesting to know if it wore it while abourd ship.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rY532NJk8zMC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=Phantom+767+squadron+on+ark+royal&source=bl&ots=kaOfAh4rzV&sig=031XVOd0r0v9BqXGGYByAYg-AuA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYi-XC06_ZAhUM66QKHReXD3o4ChDoAQgsMAE#v=onepage&q=Phantom 767 squadron on ark royal&f=false

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

It mentions XT868 (which was codeD VL 153) being flown out to the Ark to make up for the loss of XV565 in June 71.  XT868 is pictured ashore after tha period in the full 767 livery so would be interesting to know if it wore it while abourd ship.

No mention in Sturtivant et al''s FAA Fixed Wing Aircraft since 1945 of XT868's markings changing between becoming 153/VL on 8/1/69 and becoming -/LU of RN Det, Leuchars in 5/9/72.  In 3/73 it transferred to 892 Sq strength wearing a range of codes.

• Like 2

And a little hunting through my decal box reveals that XT858:153 is on the RAM Decals sheet of early Phantoms  so I can finish my model. Thanks for your help everybody.

On 18.2.2018 at 4:54 PM, 71chally said:

James,

was this in the chapter written by Lionel A. Smith (Phantoms at sea)? If I remember correctly he mentioned that there was a TV crew aboard Ark Royal during that time... If this is the case then it is perhaps possible to find that film on Youtube or British Pathe and with good luck see a glimpse of XT868.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1